PDA

View Full Version : 6A13 (VR4 Type-V / S) Swap?

EdLoRPI
09-30-2002, 06:34 PM
Hi all, I'm a member of Club3G and this post came to my attention:

http://www.eclipseforums.org/showthread.ph...&threadid=68253 ('http://www.eclipseforums.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68253')

It's about a company that seems to be able to do the engine swap from a Galant VR4 TT into your type Galants as well as our 3rd Gen Eclipses. Does anyone here know anything more about the JDM VR4 TT and the possibility of a successful swap for our cars? Thanks all. Apologies if you guys already know about this one. Just thought you might also benefit.

-Ed

pinoyesv6
09-30-2002, 06:57 PM
its not as easy as u think. i posted on club 3g

EdLoRPI
09-30-2002, 08:23 PM
Nothing is ever as easy as it seems, I know - but how do you know it rotates in a different direction? As far as AWD - not a big deal, just go with the the VR4's tranny so long as the mounts are in the same place. Thanks!

-Ed

Auto-9
09-30-2002, 09:04 PM
With enough money all things are possible...

HeadAche
09-30-2002, 09:27 PM
Man i looked into that shit 3 times already when i blew my motor the first time, and to do it ur easily lookin close to $10k plus just to get that shit out here not including install..and like Pinoy said reverse rotation, that shit will not be easy.. Then even if u pull the tranny to compensate for the reverse rotation that shit will be dumb expensive 2.. IF any of u guyz out there pull this off, i give u mounds of credit cuz this swap would be totally sick

EdLoRPI
09-30-2002, 09:45 PM
...looking into it - and I think Pinoy said on Club3G that the engine goes in the same direction (look at the pix). We'll see if it can be pulled off https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

Nick VR4
10-01-2002, 05:08 AM
Nothing is ever as easy as it seems, I know - but how do you know it rotates in a different direction? As far as AWD - not a big deal, just go with the the VR4's tranny so long as the mounts are in the same place. Thanks!

-Ed

More $$$$$$$ to set up the AWD from the Transmission

EdLoRPI
10-01-2002, 09:04 AM
Haha - oops, I realize I posted it wasn't a big deal - I meant it wasn't a big deal whether you get the AWD or not (of course, better to get it)...even in FWD, it should deliver some serious power.

EdLoRPI
10-01-2002, 07:34 PM
AWD isn't necessarily a must...of course, it's a huge bonus. As for the AYC and ATC, I'm not sure how those systems are tied into the drivetrain. What I really need are chassis comparisons between the 8G US Spec Galant, 3G Eclipse and the 8G JDM VR4 Galant. So...anyone know anyone in Japan :wink: ?

chibisak
10-01-2002, 09:39 PM
if u have a Galant then u might have a Problem
if u have a eclipse, then u are luck out.
if AT then thats mean u have the INVECS-II but old version
if MT then is same as VR-G

model code is
4A3A <-- Galant i4
4A5A <-- Galant V6 if my memory is right

8GJDM VR4 have 2 version,
1- MT 5 Speed
2 AT 5 Speed with INVECS-II so if u have a to wait then u should be easy to get those from a EVO7 come out since the AYC, ATC and INVECS-II can get from there the tanny will work as well then u will think should u swap a EVO7 4G63T or 6G13TT.

4G63T smaller and lighter but MAX tune is around 600-650HP dun count the NOS thing ok

6G13TT which is same as the 3KGTVR4 b4, MAX can run about 700-750HP both count FULL engine and body tune.

which u want is ur choice but AWD in this case is need since if u stick with FWD probably dangerous. but all the above i said is doesnt count any money in it, how much is cost i dunno, but since i get know ppl in TGC Japan and HK. these are the info i know of i hope it helps

RedGalant2k1
10-02-2002, 12:20 AM

-Ed

Different Chassis so the mounts are different and would have to be custom. meaning $$$$$$

RedGalant2k1
10-02-2002, 12:29 AM
if u have a Galant then u might have a Problem
if u have a eclipse, then u are luck out.
if AT then thats mean u have the INVECS-II but old version
if MT then is same as VR-G

model code is
4A3A <-- Galant i4
4A5A <-- Galant V6 if my memory is right

8GJDM VR4 have 2 version,
1- MT 5 Speed
2 AT 5 Speed with INVECS-II so if u have a to wait then u should be easy to get those from a EVO7 come out since the AYC, ATC and INVECS-II can get from there the tanny will work as well then u will think should u swap a EVO7 4G63T or 6G13TT.

4G63T smaller and lighter but MAX tune is around 600-650HP dun count the NOS thing ok

6G13TT which is same as the 3KGTVR4 b4, MAX can run about 700-750HP both count FULL engine and body tune.

which u want is ur choice but AWD in this case is need since if u stick with FWD probably dangerous. but all the above i said is doesnt count any money in it, how much is cost i dunno, but since i get know ppl in TGC Japan and HK. these are the info i know of i hope it helps

The 3kGT VR4 in the USA at least never used the 6G13TT it uses the 6G72TT big difference in the motor. The 3kGT has a 3.0L Twin Turbo motor versus a 2.5L V6 Twin Turbo motor in the VR4 Galant.

As for our US Galants good luck trying to fit that in our cars as a direct fit the chassis is different.

I'm surprised you guys forgot that seeing as NOT SINGLE JDM BODY KIT fits direct on the USDM Galant.

ESdriver00
10-02-2002, 09:44 AM
Just finished reading that thread on the 3G forum. Damn very interesting points, IMO the conclusion is you would save money now and in the future(in case you need parts) to just stick with a domestic engine and either turbo or supercharge it, and you know upgrade the tranny and other internal parts. I've came up with that not only because of the money difference but about the amount of power that I would get going either way.

Mante
10-02-2002, 07:34 PM
Honestly guys, I agree with shane 110 % 6grand in a GALANT..are you serious? A cheaper more effective thought I got was getting a front clip of a 1g gst eclipse (2000) Then pay very lil to have the bottom two mounts moved over and move everything over..motor and tranny...total estimated cost lil over 3500. The ability to pop the hood to show it off and make jaws drop..priceless. To my knowledge (very lil) a few people on this forum have the balls and pockets to go through with this..shane, ak1 craig for a few Yea Im getting on that list. the hype of getting that 6a12 or whatever is pointless...gawd forbid you wreck your car..then what? 7grand more? There is no point in spending 10 grand on a garage queen lol if you want high triple digit speed..get a damn bike 750 or more...

Yea I have never went on and on but Im really tired of people asking my two cents on shit they will NEVER do...oh yea if your galant ISNT in your name you cant do anything to it...cause your keys can be taken the next day when you get a D on your report card!

HeadAche
10-02-2002, 09:53 PM
Honestly guys, I agree with shane 110 % 6grand in a GALANT..are you serious? A cheaper more effective thought I got was getting a front clip of a 1g gst eclipse (2000) Then pay very lil to have the bottom two mounts moved over and move everything over..motor and tranny...total estimated cost lil over 3500. The ability to pop the hood to show it off and make jaws drop..priceless. To my knowledge (very lil) a few people on this forum have the balls and pockets to go through with this..shane, ak1 craig for a few Yea Im getting on that list. the hype of getting that 6a12 or whatever is pointless...gawd forbid you wreck your car..then what? 7grand more? There is no point in spending 10 grand on a garage queen lol if you want high triple digit speed..get a damn bike 750 or more...

Yea I have never went on and on but Im really tired of people asking my two cents on shit they will NEVER do...oh yea if your galant ISNT in your name you cant do anything to it...cause your keys can be taken the next day when you get a D on your report card!

I agree on that point too.. Most of the guyz in here who probably do have pockets deep enough to even consider this, i dont know if we would consider this.. Just think about it for a second... ur looking at least $10g's just import the motor ova here... install with custom motor mounts and rebuild of the the housing to cure the monsterous power issue at least $3-4g's, then u got tranny and if ur gonna do it right swappin that shit out, and finding something to hold the power is another issue within itself.. I thought about it, when i got all the numbers together i was lookin at close to $15g's, if not more.. The only way i would think about doing it now, is it i won PowerBall or something..lol..

Mante
10-02-2002, 10:33 PM
Preach on, and keep sprayin https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Nick VR4
10-03-2002, 05:39 AM
another issue is
VR4's and Evo's need servicing every 4500 miles
that includes the AYC fluid etc every 9000
You cannot drain and refill yourself as you have to have the Mitsubishi diagnostic machine (MUT II) because of the need to activate the AYC pump if doing a complete service.
Parts are not cheap believe me a 4500 mile service is around $350+

HeadAche
10-03-2002, 03:15 PM
See thats another reason why it wouldnt be money oriented to do this swap every 4500 miles and $350+ out ur pocket.. shit thats breakin a niggaz whole check..

Mante
01-05-2003, 10:51 PM
yea now that I found the front clip for next to nothing time to get to work.

Ghost Beat
01-05-2003, 10:59 PM
most people wouldnt do anything of this magnitude. id say its worth it to me caus there realy isint any other car i would want in the market right now might get a older rx7 or a 2000 imprezza rs as a second car while the galant gets worked over this year and the next.. but to me id say its definately worth it but to a lot of people it isint if you truly like this car and want it for the long run id say go for it but if your saving for somethign else would advise against it caus thats just blowin ur money away...

Mante
01-06-2003, 05:17 AM
Trust me the 8g isnt going anywhere, the B$#%@ is almost paid off lol

teeter
01-06-2003, 03:33 PM
did you pick up the one from RJC in seattle?

I am looking at the "full" car on the east coast.

I am pretty gun shy if I have to do major unibody changes.

john

Mante
01-06-2003, 03:48 PM
Yup thats where I got it from. So far they seem cool **crossing my fingers** At the moment Im only going to drop the 6a13TT in my current 99. I talked to a few guys at junk yards that are going to sell me the body alone for like 100-200 bucks so IF I really really want have a RHD car I can build the car from ground up

teeter
01-06-2003, 04:02 PM
I had a friend that bought a 46g3t from them and was satisfied. Course he went up and picked it up himself. Ryan has always seemed pretty cool on the phone.

you can get a 1999-2001 body for 100-200 bucks? All I really need for my "swap" is a unibody...some of the doors...dash...and hood and fenders.

I found that the MT clutch is shared with the US based 4g63...and the only AWD tranny that mitsubishi makes with the listed gear ratios...or most of them...is the EVO tranny. w5m31.

so you should be able to pick up an AWD EVO manual and it should bolt up to the block.

My question to anyone who knows...HOW different are the body structures between the FWD and AWD galants...and HOW different are they between "world" galants and US based galants. Engine mounting points ON the unibody? Tranny mounting points. I look under a FWD US car and can't see how I would get a complete AWD suspension back there...with a gas tank anyways https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

My plan had been to buy the "whole" car and a US FWD and strip em both down to unibodies and put the ENTIRE JDM wiring harness in the US car. Course I would have to dye the dash...and there is that whole pedal box thing....

I have spent the last month seam welding my rally e39a GVR4...on the second complete rebuild...stupid trees...so I am not completely naive to building cars. BUT...I don't want to have to do anything crazy like cut out the entire rear floor pan structure, etc...

john