PDA

View Full Version : I have a project in regards to my intake

Joaltava
10-01-2004, 06:55 PM
I want to do a custome intake, i want to make one that has instead of one intake filter i want to create one with two intake filters, i was thinking either i have the battery taken out and moved to the back in order to put the second fileter or if i should just have the intake pipe cut and do the extention for the second intake facing down towards my tranny right before the sensor, guys tell me what u think and also do you guys think that this will generate more HP to my engine if i have two intake filters instead of one

By the way i also Posted at the Galantspeed.com website https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

anthony

MidNightRacing
10-01-2004, 06:59 PM
more filters= more air= more fuel for acceleration

your plan...
more filters= more air= running lean

pinoyesv6
10-01-2004, 07:01 PM
two filters will be just as good as one. the only big difference is that you don't have to clean the filters or replace them as often.

hp difference won't be any different cuz the pipe leading to the tb will be the same size. and even if you increase the size, it still won't matter since the tb is the same size.

no real point with a n/a car.

seth98esT
10-01-2004, 07:10 PM
Plus your valves can only take in so much air. So unless you get bigger valves, bigger TB, port the intake mani both tb side and head side. You will not make anymore power. One filter is plenty.

Joaltava
10-01-2004, 07:35 PM
thanx guys for your info, i guess i wont do it if there is no difference other than i will clean my filter less times than if i have two filters.

JiP
10-01-2004, 10:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>two filters will be just as good as one. the only big difference is that you don't have to clean the filters or replace them as often. Â*

hp difference won't be any different cuz the pipe leading to the tb will be the same size. and even if you increase the size, it still won't matter since the tb is the same size.

no real point with a n/a car.</div>

They would both be sucking the same air at the same time, so you would have to replace both filters all the time, the interval at which you clean them is not gonna change just because you have 2.

They won't suck anymore air then 1 would because the restriction is the MAS and TB, for the most part. And if I understood correctly and you wanted to put 1 filter BEFORE the mas, that will make your car very angry..you'll pull too much un metered air since its closer to the TB and your car will be to lean.

pinoyesv6
10-01-2004, 10:48 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>They would both be sucking the same air at the same time, so you would have to replace both filters all the time, the interval at which you clean them is not gonna change just because you have 2.</div>

the interval will change. the car will be sucking the same amount of air. but since there are two filters, each filter doesn't have to filter as much

its like filling up a moving van. if you were to fill up a moving van with heavy boxes, you'd get fatigue faster than if you had your buddies help you fill up that moving van.

peanotation
10-01-2004, 11:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidNightRacing)</div><div class='quotemain'>more filters= more air= more fuel for acceleration

your plan...
more filters= more air= running lean</div>

you wouldn't run lean at all. just becuase you have more filters the air coming into the TB is still the EXACT same. your car will run the same as it did before

JiP
10-02-2004, 11:36 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidNightRacing)</div><div class='quotemain'>more filters= more air= more fuel for acceleration

your plan...
more filters= more air= running lean</div>

you wouldn't run lean at all. just becuase you have more filters the air coming into the TB is still the EXACT same. your car will run the same as it did before</div>

He said running the 2nd filter BEFORE the sensor off the back of the tranny, to me that meant its a straight run to the TB without going through the front of the mas, and that will lean you out big time.

JiP
10-02-2004, 11:39 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>They would both be sucking the same air at the same time, so you would have to replace both filters all the time, the interval at which you clean them is not gonna change just because you have 2.</div>

the interval will change. the car will be sucking the same amount of air. but since there are two filters, each filter doesn't have to filter as much

its like filling up a moving van. if you were to fill up a moving van with heavy boxes, you'd get fatigue faster than if you had your buddies help you fill up that moving van.</div>

That has nothing to do with it. You dont cut the filter debri in half, you double your work load. 2 filters are still filtering the same amount. Now if you have 1 filter inside the other then the inner filter would not have tobe changed as often. Your not splitting the work load.

ChikagoGTZ
10-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Ok, this is just stupid now...fact is, you can have a filter the size of a freaking garbage can hooked up to your pipes and TB...it's not gonna help but more likely it's gonna probably make performance worse. You do not want to do anything beyond the MAF, you're gonna screw up everything and you're car will most likely start to stall and shoot nice black smoke out the ass! Go with a tried and tested K&N cone filter on an Injen or similar CAI intake system, they work, they sound good and they are reasonably priced. Spending 400 on a custom intake is worthless if it doesnt do you any good. Being different is good, but being unreasonable is worthless.

pinoyesv6
10-02-2004, 01:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>That has nothing to do with it. Â*You dont cut the filter debri in half, you double your work load. Â*2 filters are still filtering the same amount. Â*Now if you have 1 filter inside the other then the inner filter would not have tobe changed as often. Â*Your not splitting the work load.</div>

so you are saying you'd be filtering twice as much air? but how cant that be? the tb is only sucking in as much air as it needs.

JiP
10-02-2004, 05:43 PM
The filters are still sitting in the air, and will collect crap on them wether the engine is sucking more or not.

But either way this is totaly off topic... there is an dual intake system that uses 2 small cone filters I believe its in summit, I'll look it up later.

10-02-2004, 06:31 PM
2 filters = more filter area = less air moving through each individual "pore" = less work required to move each pound of air = less intake resistance = more power that can be used to move the car.

End of story.

ChikagoGTZ
10-05-2004, 09:14 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scootinintegra)</div><div class='quotemain'>2 filters = more filter area = less air moving through each individual "pore" = less work required to move each pound of air = less intake resistance = more power that can be used to move the car.

End of story.</div>

Scootin, that's my ex in your avitar....I call her the Loyola Bicycle. jp bro, I dont think the gains are nominal on somethink NA. Turbo, perhaps, but then again, look at what is used on all conventional set ups. One intake per turbo, one filter per intake. It works. In actuality, a filter with some dirt on it works better to filter crap out of the air. I read something about that from K&N, saying not to clean your filter all the time but to let the filter do it's job. I only clean mine ever 24,000 miles, and according to K&N thats too often.

Mindless
10-05-2004, 11:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChikagoGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok, this is just stupid now...fact is, you can have a filter the size of a freaking garbage can hooked up to your pipes and TB...it's not gonna help but more likely it's gonna probably make performance worse. Â*You do not want to do anything beyond the MAF, you're gonna screw up everything and you're car will most likely start to stall and shoot nice black smoke out the ass! Â*Go with a tried and tested K&N cone filter on an Injen or similar CAI intake system, they work, they sound good and they are reasonably priced. Â*Spending 400 on a custom intake is worthless if it doesnt do you any good. Â*Being different is good, but being unreasonable is worthless.</div>

werd.

Blue Ice
10-06-2004, 03:54 PM
I was looking on DSM tuner, and one of the things they talked about was removing one of the honey combs on their MAS. Now this was on a 1g, and i haven't taken mine apart yet, but i was looking into doing this mod. Having two honey comb "filters", the first smaller than the second, restricts the air flow. They say to take the smaller one out and leave the larger one. But again i don't know how our G's are set up in that respect.

This is more of a tutorial for cutting the 1g air box, but it's where i got the other idea from. guess i'll check it out tonight.
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/filter-print.html ('http://www.vfaq.com/mods/filter-print.html')

jusmills
10-06-2004, 04:22 PM
I heard about the honeycomb thing too, however I'd think twice about removing them. The first honeycomb is there to reduce initial turbulence in the intake. The purpose of the second is likely because the intake itself was of poor design leading to more turbulence further along the tube. If you remove them, the difference in the speed of the air near the wall and that of the air in the "center" of the intake will cause friction between the fast moving air and the slow effectively slowing the overall flow in the intake down resulting in decreased performance. How much performance or if the effect is even detectable is questionable though.

10-06-2004, 05:30 PM
2 filters = more filter area = less air moving through each individual "pore" = less work required to move each pound of air = less intake resistance = more power that can be used to move the car.

End of story.

Scootin, that's my ex in your avitar....I call her the Loyola Bicycle. jp bro, I dont think the gains are nominal on somethink NA. Turbo, perhaps, but then again, look at what is used on all conventional set ups. One intake per turbo, one filter per intake. It works. In actuality, a filter with some dirt on it works better to filter crap out of the air. I read something about that from K&N, saying not to clean your filter all the time but to let the filter do it's job. I only clean mine ever 24,000 miles, and according to K&N thats too often.
Yeah, there won't be any noticeable (and perhaps not even any dyno) gains from doing that two filter thing. In regard to the "dirty filter" theory, that refers strictly to oil/cotton filters and applies to filtering ability, not flow ability. The entire idea behind that is that the dirt captured actually becomes part of the filtering medium, because it becomes coated in the oil. It filters better, but it doesn't flow better.
Corvettes utilize a two filter system, but that's only for space. I think Vipers do too, actually. Mostly for space reasons, in addition to the fact that they have 3 and four times the displacement a galant does.