PDA

View Full Version : 7G manny tranny

Blue Ice
10-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Ok guys, i checked the gedi archives on this, found questions but no answers or opinions. but here's the story.

I went to the local junk yard today, looking for parts to do my rear disk conv. and came across a 95 G. After futhur inspection found that this G had a manual tranny, with all te fixings still in it. (not many people go to jy's looking for G parts)
So i took everyhting i need except the clutch lines and the tranny itself.

which brings me to my question;
Ultimately when i do my 4g63t swap and 5 spwwd swap, do i want a 7g manny tranny or a 2g eclipse manny tranny? People have talked before about it but no one has ever stood on one side or the other.

To cut through and make this a little quicker here's what i've heard;
7g +'s longer gear ratios, = more boost per gear
7g -'s might not be strong enough to handle boost applications over a long period of time
2g +'s Shorter gear ratio's = quicker take offs
2g -'s none really, probably cause every one has the 2g, not the 7g.

Either way it goes i will probably up grade the internals of the tranny before i put it in. Sorry so long :roll:

StreetDreams
10-03-2004, 12:36 AM
You should've pulled the 7g tranny while you were at it. :?

peanotation
10-03-2004, 01:40 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StreetDreams)</div><div class='quotemain'>You should've pulled the 7g tranny while you were at it. :?</div>

seriously

Blue Ice
10-03-2004, 05:08 AM
so 7g tranny's better than 2g tranny. It's not going any where, when i left the place was closing. I planned on going back to get it tomorrow, and all the clutch lines.

Blue Ice
10-03-2004, 11:27 AM
In looking into the 7g tranny, i have 2 concerns. When upgrading the clutch and flywheel, is there going to be certain applications between the 4g64 and the 4g63t. if i upgrade the clutch and flywheel will it still fit the 4g63t.

peanotation
10-03-2004, 11:48 AM
as far as clutches and flywheels are concerned, the 2G is the same as the 7G tranny. buy clutches/flywheels for either a 2G Turbo or 7G (both 5spd) and they will fit.

Blue Ice
10-03-2004, 04:58 PM
I decided to go and check the jy's price for the tranny, and $75 total ain't bad at all. So you know what i'm doing this week. Pulling a tranny. By the time i'm done with it, i'll have paid about $125 for a manual tranny and all the fixings, then comes the upgrades :roll:

StreetDreams
10-04-2004, 02:25 AM
Sounds good, can't beat $75.00 for the trans. Even if you don't use it, you could sell it for 4x what you paid for it.

4-G-rim
10-04-2004, 07:44 AM
The 7g 5 speed had a longer gear ratio...trust me I own one and my friend with a 2g GS-t can vouch that the gear ratio seems to be longer on the 7g. The only concern which goes for Eclipse trannies too...is at higher HP output...its best to double syncro the tranny.

Blue Ice
10-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Man it was a bitch taking it out, but i got it. (first time pulling a tranny)
Now if anyone has any suggestions on upgrades i'd appreciate it.

Eventually i want to get the 6bolt 4g63t. I'm under the empression that our transmissions use the same clutch setup as the 2g turbo tranny. is there going to be any conflict between the 1g engine and the 2g tranny? From what i understand, there shouldn't be, but again i just wanted to clarify any misunderstandings before i spend the money.

Galant95
10-05-2004, 10:47 AM
keep us posted Blue Ice, i know some people
here (including me) are following this thread
seeing that our auto sucks :?

goodluck :thumbsup:

Mindless
10-05-2004, 11:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blue Ice)</div><div class='quotemain'>Man it was a bitch taking it out, but i got it. Â*(first time pulling a tranny)
Now if anyone has any suggestions on upgrades i'd appreciate it. Â*

Eventually i want to get the 6bolt 4g63t. Â*I'm under the empression that our transmissions use the same clutch setup as the 2g turbo tranny. is there going to be any conflict between the 1g engine and the 2g tranny? From what i understand, there shouldn't be, but again i just wanted to clarify any misunderstandings before i spend the money.</div>

1g engines are 6 bolt and 2g engines are seven bolt. Just be sure and get the right flywheel. I'm not sure if there will be a conflict between the tranny and engine though.

seth98esT
10-05-2004, 03:13 PM
Only 90/91 and early(before May) 92s are 6bolt. Rest of 92-94 is 7bolt and 2g are a worse 7bolt. You need the specific flywheel for the 4g63ts(6bolt, 1g 7bolt, 2g 7bolt ect.) but the 7g tranny bolts up to a 6bolt block just fine.

As for upgrading the stock 7g tranny? Send it to Shepard Racing and have him rebuild it. Its around $900 but it will be built like a rock afterwords. John Shepard runs an 8.5second almost street legal AWD 1g, and he sells the same tranny he uses. As soon as I find another 7g tranny Im sending one off to him...

peanotation
10-05-2004, 03:20 PM
As for upgrading the stock 7g tranny? Send it to Shepard Racing and have him rebuild it. Its around $900 but it will be built like a rock afterwords. John Shepard runs an 8.5second almost street legal AWD 1g, and he sells the same tranny he uses. As soon as I find another 7g tranny Im sending one off to him...

is this for an automatic or manual?

Blue Ice
10-05-2004, 03:27 PM
ok when i got the clutch off the engine, i was looking at the fly wheel. It had six bolts holding it in, is that where the difference is between 6bolt ,and 7bolt

MidNightRacing
10-05-2004, 03:36 PM
As soon as I find another 7g tranny Im sending one off to him...

You rang? i got a 7g manuel tranny. Hit me up on AIM if your intrested.

Mindless
10-06-2004, 07:04 AM
[quote="seth98esT"]Only 90/91 and early(before May) 92s are 6bolt. Rest of 92-94 is 7bolt and 2g are a worse 7bolt. You need the specific flywheel for the 4g63ts(6bolt, 1g 7bolt, 2g 7bolt ect.) but the 7g tranny bolts up to a 6bolt block just fine.quote]

Thanks for the clarification Seth.

Blue Ice
10-06-2004, 10:05 AM
HA! Because i really didn't know what the hell i was doing, i left the flywheel. Gotta Go back :roll: Had a local tranny guy price how much to do the swap, he said about 600 to 700. I know i just don't want to F&$# my car up trying to pu it in, like i did the donor. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

GtrickinN12
10-06-2004, 11:20 AM
good deal on the trans conversion. i got mine for 500 and 500 for the install.
have fun with it.

Blue Ice
10-06-2004, 11:46 AM
Ok need some help here. I went back for the fly wheel, and noticed there were 7 bolts, not 6 like i stated earlier, holding it in. I'm really not sure at all, but i'm thinking this fly wheel will not bolt onto a 6 bolt 4g63t. Remember i'm assuming the difference between 6bolt and 7bolt are the number of bolts that hold the flywheel the engine. No one answered my question earlier, so i'm still thinking the same way.
But the real reason i didn't get it was because the fly wheel kept spinning and my socket wouldn't stay on. I had already spent the better part of three days, getting the parts out, 2 of which were the tranny alone. So if it ain't gonna work, then i ain't gonna worry about the sumumabich. :doubleup:

(remember i really have no clue WTF i'm talking about, i'm just making educated guesses :roll: )

Ok, so if i'm planning to buy an upgrade flywheel, do i still need any parts from the old flywheel.

This is a pic from 4g64terror's page. What i left behind is what's shown, except he has a 6 puck and of course i left the old flywheel.
Also guys understand that i don't plan on putting this in till i have the 4g63t. Then they both will go in together.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid5...ee/fc831cb5.jpg ('http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/p8cdeaf72209dae977a93397968b514ee/fc831cb5.jpg')

seth98esT
10-06-2004, 02:22 PM
Flywheels suck to take off. You have to make this tool so the flywheel/crank will not turn with the wrench.

Ok this is much easier with an impact wrench of some such tool, but if you can wedge a wrench in between the flywheel teeth and some solid part of the car you can keep it from moving long enough to put a breaker bar on it. Just make sure you are using 6 point sockets, or else you will end up stripping a bolt just like I did :~(. I had to buy a hand held grinder just to get that damn bolt off. Once you have taken everything apart, putting things back together is relatively simple. The following is a suggestion from Tom Stangl on how to get the flywheel bolts off:

This is made much easier if you get some strap steel and drill two holes in it. Bolt one end to one of the pressure plate mounting pads, and one to the block. You may have to bend the strap to get it to fit right. Shown is the tool I made out of 3/16" strap steel, which is overkill for a single clutch install, but I use it for many installs.
Remove the flywheel (90 6bolt flywheel shown).
http://www.vfaq.com/proj-pics/flywheel/flywheel-tool-04sml.jpg
http://www.vfaq.com/proj-pics/clutch/1G/clutch-25.jpg

6bolt flywheels wont bolt onto 7bolt cars and vice versa. 7gs are 7bolt. You can use a flywheel from a 2g turbo car if you want to buy aftermarket.

Blue Ice
10-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks Seth, that clears up a few things.

Blue Ice
10-22-2004, 01:21 AM
Hey midniteracing, how much to redo the internals if i supply the tranny.