PDA

View Full Version : Slight leak Water Pump

RoOkS
10-05-2004, 08:53 PM
Hello All,

Needing your opinions...
The mechanic is redoing the timing belt and lifters. He noticed a slight leakage on the water pump. Can tell by all the corrusive like stains and dry crap build up on the water pump. He says its a slight leakage.
Its $490AUD ($355USD) to get a new genuine part water pump.

Will a dead water pump cause as much damage as a broken timing belt :?:
should i hold on to my slightly leaking water pump till it finally goes? :?

thanks guys.

StreetDreams
10-05-2004, 09:27 PM
A bad water pump will cause your car to overheat and leave you stranded on the side of the road somewhere. A slight leak will only get worse and fast. It needs to be replaced and should be done soon.

BlankMan
10-05-2004, 09:31 PM
I'd look for a lower cost replacement - but if it shows signs of leaking, replace it while having the timiing belt done or you'll just end up paying for the same labor when it absolutely needs replacing...

J

StreetDreams
10-05-2004, 09:38 PM
He says its a slight leakage.

Is that price for parts and labor?

RoOkS
10-06-2004, 02:00 AM
I'd look for a lower cost replacement
hey blankman.... hmmm... a non genuine part i guess?

RoOkS wrote:
He says its a slight leakage.

Is that price for parts and labor?

Nope $355USD is for water pump only! : )

Thanks for the advice...the mechanic and meself are looking for the cheapest water pump out there. Genuine hopefully. I'll get it changed.
Cant believe my luck...bought the galant cos of its low kms (75,000km) 1993!! now lifters/waterpump/ISC motor needs changin' .
could there be worst !!??

4-G-rim
10-06-2004, 08:00 AM
I would replace the water pump ASAP. Why? Like what Streetdreams said...it can cause the motor to overheat and the worse case scenerio is that your headgasket goes and well...your motor is fried. Now you said you are replacing your timing belt...you should replace it anyways since you are doing the waterpump and I am pretty sure what a busted timing belt will do to your cylinder head when it busts. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone...do both at the same time. 8)

JiP
10-06-2004, 11:16 AM
I changed my pump when I changed my t-belt for the headswap. Even though the pump was working fine, the best time to change it is while doing your tbelt since you have all the crap off the car anyway. My pump was a woping $37.68 + $5 shipping from some website. I have the reciept doesnt have the website addy but phone is 408-988-2660.

Most people are gonna tell you go with genuine mitsu parts they are better quality and bla bla bla.. to some extent they are right, but I dont give a crap oem parts are way over priced and not worth it in my opinion. I have never used oem parts on any car I own and I have never had a problem. Could just be luck =P

RoOkS
10-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Yups the initial move was a change of timing belt.
Found one water pump made in india for $140AUD !! hehehe..cheap but me mechanic managed to find one made in japan for $160AUD..so i'll go with the japanese one.
Hope to pick up the car tomorrow. 8)
thanks for the advice guys.

JIP 37.68USD sounds fine indeed...... just goes to say we gotta shop around.
non OEM parts meet or exceed the OEM quality level usually anyhow.

Headswap......cylinders?...when should this be done? what kms / year ?