PDA

View Full Version : my first bondo experience

peanotation
10-06-2004, 09:53 PM
and what an experience it was. i really had no idea what i was doing. the directions told me to mix way too much hardener in. by the 4th batch i had a perfect ratio between bondo and hardener. that shit took FOREVER to get off my hands. do you guys use gloves when you play with this sludge?

no laughing:
http://socallifestyle.com/bondo1.jpg
http://socallifestyle.com/vent1.jpg
http://socallifestyle.com/vent2.jpg

the vent is SOLID now. it's so hard, i was pushing on it really hard, almost trying to break the mesh off, but that stuff is tough as hell. what would be a better way to apply this so i don't use like half a gallon on one stupid vent?

8G_GTZ
10-06-2004, 09:56 PM
well matt......you've done your homework. uumm, only suggestion for that application(as in mesh onto bumper), i would have gone for the fiberglass and bondo mixture BONDO makes for like $18 a can. I'm using that to mold on my 'skirts. But yeah, when I started learning, it took a few times to get the right mixture. it just depends on how much time you want to work with it., for your first time, you did good.

steve

brandon
10-07-2004, 07:16 AM
Actually for the grill I would've used an adhesive instead of bondo, but it looks like you did a decent job getting it to stay.

It's a lot more fun to play with when you're using it as body filler. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

pinoyesv6
10-07-2004, 07:22 AM
it looks good. just clean the excess bondo off the mesh.

i think by checking out the color of the bondo that you mixed it in small proportions. thats good.

if you mixed it in one big batch, you might want to practice mixing it better lol

a tube of liquid nails would have been easier. but hey its on there so its too late now...

seth98esT
10-07-2004, 09:20 AM
I would have used Resin(the green stuff). Its a lot stronger then bondo. Bondo is pretty much a body filler, not an "adhesive"

peanotation
10-07-2004, 01:43 PM
i'll try the resin and liquid nails today. but as far as the bondo, i was trying to break it off today from the bumper....and i couldn't do it. it's ON there big time. no way that's coming off.

the first few batches i mixed hardened within 60 seconds, the instructions told me to add way too muc hardener. i was adding just a drop to golf ball size bondo sections and it was perfect.

xSILENTx
10-07-2004, 05:55 PM
try some epoxy for the grille and the bondo will come off but you just have to sand it more. next time you use the bondo you want to spread it thin and then after a few mintues use a cheesegrater type file to get all that thick shit off. then sand it down after it hardens.i shaved my tailgate last week and that was my first time doing body work and it came out great.

JiP
10-07-2004, 10:31 PM
Dont use liquid nails.. I did cause I have cases' of the shit...First time I bumped a car while parking it craked out and left the mesh hangin..coulda been a lil more then a tap =P

josh_877
10-19-2004, 08:40 PM
PEANO, did u finish this project or what...........PICS!? :?

peanotation
10-19-2004, 09:42 PM

no, cause other projects include wet sanding entire car and doing the 5spd swap

josh_877
10-19-2004, 09:45 PM

so u just got one vent done or did u take it off?

peanotation
10-19-2004, 10:03 PM

i did that one and i'm gonna do the other one probably tommorow. when erac1ng finishes the fenders in 2010, i'll finish the rest of the front bumper when it's off the car

josh_877
10-19-2004, 10:05 PM

i did that one and i'm gonna do the other one probably tommorow. when erac1ng finishes the fenders in 2010, i'll finish the rest of the front bumper when it's off the car

hahah damn, u really hate them now huh?

peanotation
10-19-2004, 10:20 PM

hahah damn, u really hate them now huh?

i should be taking them to court and suing the shit out of them