PDA

View Full Version : exhaust size.

NYmagicstk
10-08-2004, 02:04 AM
[b]<span style='color:blue'>If I put a "racing exhaust" with a 2.25" inlet, and a 4" outlet, how much difference is made sound and performace wise. Also, is the airflow out of the exhaust increased due to the size of the outlet, or because of the mufflers inner workings?
I need opinions on what exhaust would be the best to buy for a 4cyl 8G, and I plan to dual my car, so I'll have to buy a pair. Price is a factor.</span>

peanotation
10-08-2004, 02:07 AM
i think you mean "racing muffler". and no, the airflow out the exhaust wont be increased because it still has a 2.25" inlet, which is stock. so if it's just a muffler with 2.25" inlet and 4" outlet, you won't feel any power, and you'll gain 1-2 ponies if the rest of your car is stock. also, don't go duals on an I4 unless you want to loose horsepower and torque. only works for V6s

NYmagicstk
10-08-2004, 02:15 AM
[b]<span style='color:blue'>I figured that I wouldn't get any real gains unless I get a bigger downpipe or whatever you call it. how does that all work any way?
Also, I just wanted to dual it out for the look, not cause I was thinking my shit would turn into a beast. Lol</span>

pinoyesv6
10-08-2004, 09:33 AM
as for the sound. that will depend on the muffler. racing muffler doesn't say anything about the design of the case and its internals. generally a oval cased muffler will be quieter than a canister muffler. but there are exceptions out there. like the muffler i got imported from asia, its a canister muffler and its one of the quietest canister mufflers i've ever heard.

Auto-9
10-09-2004, 01:37 AM
as for the sound. that will depend on the muffler. racing muffler doesn't say anything about the design of the case and its internals. generally a oval cased muffler will be quieter than a canister muffler. but there are exceptions out there. like the muffler i got imported from asia, its a canister muffler and its one of the quietest canister mufflers i've ever heard.

Well shoot I guess either Magnaflow is lying to me or they're just flat out wrong. They claim that round or oval doesn't matter, it's the diameter of the inside pipe and the length of the muffler as well as packing material that determines sound.

krispy03
10-09-2004, 08:10 AM
i think you mean "racing muffler". and no, the airflow out the exhaust wont be increased because it still has a 2.25" inlet, which is stock. so if it's just a muffler with 2.25" inlet and 4" outlet, you won't feel any power, and you'll gain 1-2 ponies if the rest of your car is stock. also, don't go duals on an I4 unless you want to loose horsepower and torque. only works for V6s
NNNNNOOOOOOOoooooooo.......! :evil:

pinoyesv6
10-09-2004, 08:38 AM
Well shoot I guess either Magnaflow is lying to me or they're just flat out wrong. They claim that round or oval doesn't matter, it's the diameter of the inside pipe and the length of the muffler as well as packing material that determines sound.

that is true. but if you notice the case of the oval muffler compared to the canister muffler, the oval muffler would have more insulation on the sides whereas the canister has that thin layer all around.

Auto-9
10-09-2004, 12:52 PM
that is true. but if you notice the case of the oval muffler compared to the canister muffler, the oval muffler would have more insulation on the sides whereas the canister has that thin layer all around.

Yeah that's why I asked them about it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Fiyaharms
10-10-2004, 08:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>i think you mean "racing muffler". and no, the airflow out the exhaust wont be increased because it still has a 2.25" inlet, which is stock. so if it's just a muffler with 2.25" inlet and 4" outlet, you won't feel any power, and you'll gain 1-2 ponies if the rest of your car is stock. also, don't go duals on an I4 unless you want to loose horsepower and torque. only works for V6s</div>

Even though I have one of them noisey P.O.S on my car, I don't like them. Unfortunately I had already put it on my car b/4 I acquired 2 words in my vocab, forums and research. From what I've been told/read, you don't want to go dual on a stock setup-even of you put an intake on your car b/c the air is exiting faster than the air coming in. But, if you plain on doing some kind of FI, then maybe you'll see the benifits other than "acoustics" performance wise. But yeah, there's nothing worste than them cars making all that noise, like you have a beast or lion under the hood....and when you pop the hood, it's timid kitten playing with yarn......