PDA

View Full Version : EGR SUnguard Problem need help

IceDouTGaLanT
10-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Hey I got my EGR sun guard today in the mail it was still factory sealed so nothing could of fell out, but in the direction it says I need some primer it’s a tube, I don’t have that tube so I was wondering what’s I n the tube so maybe I can pick it up from pep boys or something thanks.

Dominicano
10-08-2004, 01:28 PM
its call promoter, go to a auto body paint shop they should have some there its for double sided tape. it allows the tape to stick to the surface really good

mad419iou1
10-08-2004, 01:36 PM
I just used some de-natured alcohol when I installed mine. I figured that all the promoter did was remove all the wax and grease,etc. so the tape would stick better.

Reelax
10-08-2004, 01:44 PM
the adhesive promoter is actually very important... it creates a kinda like a tacky surface for the double sided tape to REALLY stick to.

IceDouTGaLanT
10-08-2004, 03:54 PM
hey i got this today, http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dblockxceo/a...lbum?.dir=/e1e2 ('http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dblockxceo/album?.dir=/e1e2')

will this work, since an rear view mirros needs to be held on glass, and the sunguard has to be on the glass?

Reelax
10-09-2004, 02:07 AM
i don't think that will work and if it does, there is not enough of it. the stuff you need is called adhesive promoter and it will b in a bigger tube than that.

pinoyesv6
10-09-2004, 08:36 AM
the adhesion promotor is not liek a glue or an epoxy. but more like a primer. like reelax said, it preps the surface (glass) so that the double stick tape holds on better.

personally i wouldn't use that rear view mirror adhesive. it will probably hold the sungaurd to the car. but the big thing is that it dries HARD. it would be ok for like a rear view mirror because it just sits there. but if you hit your rear view mirror hard enough, its gonna come off. but your sungaurd is made up of thin plastic. it wll be constantly flexing and moving, thats why they use the double stick tape to adhere it. the double stick tape is made of foam. the foam has a lil bit og give so that the sungaurd can move a lil bit without coming off.

SpicyGalant
10-09-2004, 08:40 AM
I can't get my hands on that rear visor!! where can i purchase it? Where did u get yours

Dominicano
10-09-2004, 11:42 AM
hey i got this today, http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dblockxceo/a...lbum?.dir=/e1e2 ('http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dblockxceo/album?.dir=/e1e2')

will this work, since an rear view mirros needs to be held on glass, and the sunguard has to be on the glass?

bro, go to a autopaint store, get 3m promoter it does not come in a tube it comes in like a little packet which is what i used, that will work. Dont use the one you got. You are not going to find it in pepboys, strauss or any of those chains.

Stylin_G
10-15-2004, 12:46 PM
but wouldn't the sunguard fall off if it's held on by the double sided tape?? I mean if its on for a while like a year or so it's bound to fall off??? or is something else holding it place

pinoyesv6
10-15-2004, 12:51 PM
its only held in by double stick tape.

it won't fall off if the surface is prepped correctly.

a buncha car parts are held onto the car with double stick tape. the umblems, trim mouding, my window visors. all held in by double stick tape. and it doesn't fall off. im pretty sure like maybe 5 or 6 years down the road the tape might break down but its just not gonna fall off.

Fall Out Boy
10-15-2004, 12:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stylin_G)</div><div class='quotemain'>but wouldn't the sunguard fall off if it's held on by the double sided tape?? I mean if its on for a while like a year or so it's bound to fall off??? or is something else holding it place</div>

dont you ever see people with rain guards on their windows? how do you think they are applied?

playa759
10-15-2004, 06:15 PM
I have searched the world over for 3M™ Automotive Adhesion Promoter-Sponge Applicator Packet 4298, 2.5cc per packet.....if anyone can find this and send it to me I will pay you for it....tried home depot, autozone, michaels, sherwin williams (auto) paint store....thanks