PDA

View Full Version : cat-back how may intrested

sho-tyme
10-13-2004, 11:11 PM
ok heres the deal i think im going to give it a try( make my own cat-back system) i was wondering if anyone else would be into this i can do anything from stock 2.5 to 3 in. im not going to promis any hp #s or gains of any kind. as far as i know i might not be able to do it but believe if i do ill post pics. if you are intrested in this it would be about 100$ PLUS parts and shipping as soon as i figure out how much all the parts are ill post that too everything is welded im going to do two seperate pieces kinda like our stock exhaust if you want to send me your muffler ill weld it on too and test fit everything to make sure it fits this is for and 8g i could prolly do a 7g or anything but i would need to make a jig for so i would need a stock exhaust system from that generation let me know if you have any question
ps this in not mandrel bent its hand bent but still very smooth

ChikagoGTZ
10-14-2004, 01:57 PM
No mandrel bending...what's the point?

sho-tyme
10-14-2004, 02:31 PM
does it really matter as long as the bend is still smooth and no kinks, I really dont think so

10-14-2004, 02:49 PM
does it really matter as long as the bend is still smooth and no kinks, I really dont think so
Sounds to me like you don't know what you're talking about. I wouldn't trust you to make my exhaust.

sho-tyme
10-14-2004, 02:53 PM
do you even know what the fucka a mandrel bend is

10-14-2004, 02:56 PM
hahahahahhahaha
*breathe*
hahahahahahhaah

Boy, I know more about cars than you could ever possibly hope to know. I'm FULLY aware of what a mandrel bend is, thank you very much.

sho-tyme
10-14-2004, 02:57 PM
here you go tell me which on is mandrel and which on is not
http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/huth7.jpg ('http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/huth7.jpg')
believe me if it didnt look good( the one i make) i wouldnt send it to anyone im not going to send out something that i wouldnt put on my car

sho-tyme
10-14-2004, 02:58 PM
o really what school you goto man im really tired of you fucking hot heads on here thinking you know it all

pinoyesv6
10-14-2004, 03:00 PM
im assuming your gonna press bend it>?

i agree, you can press bend a pipe without it kinking and it can be pretty smooth. the thing is, when you bend the pipe without the mandrel, the shape of the pipe starts to change. if you were to take a cross section of a press bent pipe it would be more of an oval. it is still smooth. but, if you were to compute the area of that oval cross section and compare it to the cross section of one that was bent with a mandrel, you'll notice that it will be less. meaning that there would be some kind of restriction in the exhaust.

10-14-2004, 03:03 PM
here you go tell me which on is mandrel and which on is not
http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/huth7.jpg ('http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/huth7.jpg')
believe me if it didnt look good( the one i make) i wouldnt send it to anyone im not going to send out something that i wouldnt put on my car
The one on the bottom is mandrel bent. Can't you see how the bend on the top is inhibitory to airflow? If you can't, you shouldn't be making exhaust piping.
Oh, and I go to Loyola University Chicago, I'm a freshman. I just turned 18, and I know more about cars than you, end of story. If you want to talk about cars, I will own you on every subject from the air filter to the muffler tip.
Oh, and I live in Saint Louis, btw. So I'm not that far from you when I'm at home.

sho-tyme
10-14-2004, 03:06 PM
very true, all im trying to do is see if anyone wants a cat- back weither it be a stock size or larger for there car, like maybe they have a hole and midas wants 400$ to fix it (example) im not trying to sell a freaking hp gain exhaust. then if they chose to i would make them one for alot cheaper you see im tring to help people here not put them down or make them feel dumb like a lot of people do here and ill tell you what pinoy you are prolly one of the most helpfull people on here

sho-tyme
10-14-2004, 03:08 PM
heres a simple one for you what are the 4 cycles of an internal combustion engine in order

10-14-2004, 03:08 PM
very true, all im trying to do is see if anyone wants a cat- back weither it be a stock size or larger for there car, like maybe they have a hole and midas wants 400$ to fix it (example) im not trying to sell a freaking hp gain exhaust. then if they chose to i would make them one for alot cheaper you see im tring to help people here not put them down or make them feel dumb like a lot of people do here and ill tell you what pinoy you are prolly one of the most helpfull people on here
I think you were the one that got uppity about your press bends.

10-14-2004, 03:11 PM
heres a simple one for you what are the 4 cycles of an internal combustion engine in order
ROFL.

How in detail do you want me to go? Do you want me to discuss the particulars of airflow dynamics, valve actuation timing, squish area and valve shrouding? Do you want me to explain what happens during the combustion stroke that causes detonation? How about why advancing cam timing shifts the powerband higher into the rev range?

Anyway, to answer your question very simply, the Otto cycle is as follows: Intake, Compression, Combustion, Exhaust. Whether it be rotary or piston driven, it's the same. For you more simple minded folk, you could also call it Suck Squish Bang Blow....just sounds dirty, doesn't it?

sho-tyme
10-14-2004, 03:11 PM
so i guess you dont know the answer

ChikagoGTZ
10-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Wow, this blew up....Scootin unfortunately knows what he is talking about, he's a smart kid...you need it for LUC too, but he may come off a little strong. That's just his personality.

But just say you do make these, what would you charge for a cat back? I assume you will weld on all the hangers, flanges, and weld a resonator as well post-cat? I hope you can weld really good....it's not as easy as it looks...my first weld job (10 years ago) fell apart while I was cruising down the street....it takes practice and knowledge of welding dynamics to get it done right, especially if you are gonna be producing a product for someone else. I'd say make yourself one, prove it's gonna hold up, and maybe then people will look to you for stock replacement parts.

Just my .2cents, flame on https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

pinoyesv6
10-14-2004, 03:13 PM
so i guess you dont know the answer

looks like you odn't know the answer...cuz scootinintegra is right

sho-tyme
10-14-2004, 03:14 PM
he must have been typing the same tim i was typing

10-14-2004, 03:15 PM
You have a PM, exhaust-masta.

ChikagoGTZ
10-14-2004, 03:15 PM

U need to chill out, cause this is the best way not to get customers.

sho-tyme
10-14-2004, 03:19 PM
But just say you do make these, what would you charge for a cat back? I assume you will weld on all the hangers, flanges, and weld a resonator as well post-cat? I hope you can weld really good....it's not as easy as it looks...my first weld job (10 years ago) fell apart while I was cruising down the street....it takes practice and knowledge of welding dynamics to get it done right, especially if you are gonna be producing a product for someone else. I'd say make yourself one, prove it's gonna hold up, and maybe then people will look to you for stock replacement parts.

well im kinda just getting round about # i first have to do it on my car then make the jig i need to see how much all piping and hangers ext cost. if i do it on my car and it dont look right or i think the welds are not strong enough then i dont sell them end of story but i was thinking in a ball park of about 100$ labor and what ever ot cost to in material

ChikagoGTZ
10-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Are you gonna weld in a resonation chamber as well?

10-14-2004, 03:21 PM
No more questions from the exhaust-masta for me? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

ChikagoGTZ
10-14-2004, 03:22 PM
No more questions from the exhaust-masta for me? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

STFU, go pick on Peano. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

10-14-2004, 03:23 PM

STFU, go pick on Peano. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif
Right. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Sorry, I thought this thread was funny.

sho-tyme
10-14-2004, 03:24 PM
ok seriosly i cant stand it when people put other people down call someone a noob, how the hell do they know that they are a noob. oh you only have 56 posts and you asked a stupid question like where do i get a turbo for my car. chances are they just bought the dam thing and they have looked all over and cant find anything so who do they turn to and ass fuck like scooter who goes about it all the wrong way. wouldnt it just be easier to tell them or possably HELP them instead of bashing them

ChikagoGTZ
10-14-2004, 03:25 PM

Right. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Sorry, I thought this thread was funny.

Was? It still is buddy. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

ChikagoGTZ
10-14-2004, 03:27 PM

The post that started it all....U should know better than to challenge Scooty...he's tenatious. (sp?)

10-14-2004, 03:28 PM
ok seriosly i cant stand it when people put other people down call someone a noob, how the hell do they know that they are a noob. oh you only have 56 posts and you asked a stupid question like where do i get a turbo for my car. chances are they just bought the dam thing and they have looked all over and cant find anything so who do they turn to and ass fuck like scooter who goes about it all the wrong way. wouldnt it just be easier to tell them or possably HELP them instead of bashing them
Show me where I came in, called you a newbie, and said you made a stupid post, and I'll apologize. All I said was "Sounds to me like you don't know what you're talking about. I wouldn't trust you to make my exhaust." Please sir, forgive me for posting a personal opinion on the board that may save others time and money.
You only think I'm an assfuck because I shut you down in public, by the way. I know how a neanderthal's mind works.

BlankMan
10-14-2004, 03:29 PM
You know - I've noticed a trend where when scootin criticizes people, the thread turns sour. Scootin - you have a tendancy to bring out the worst in people... Looking back through all this - hard to believe it's such a new thread - did you really need to tell say he knew nothing and didn't know what he was talking about? I mean, c'mon, anyone would get on the defensive from that. Sheesh. Aren't you supposed to be part of the "anit-drama" club? Could you act it?

What's worse - ChicagoGTZ sums it up best "Scootin unfortunately knows what he is talking about"...

J

sho-tyme
10-14-2004, 03:30 PM
and how did you shut me down

ChikagoGTZ
[quote="I know how a neanderthal's mind works.

Wow, Neandertalis Scootin Integrus, next deviation in human regression.

HeadAche
Scootin, he knows his shizzle, i dont even know why you even tested him? O well i guess we all have to learn the hard way

10-14-2004, 03:33 PM
You know - I've noticed a trend where when scootin criticizes people, the thread turns sour. Scootin - you have a tendancy to bring out the worst in people... Looking back through all this - hard to believe it's such a new thread - did you really need to tell say he knew nothing and didn't know what he was talking about? I mean, c'mon, anyone would get on the defensive from that. Sheesh. Aren't you supposed to be part of the "anit-drama" club? Could you act it?

What's worse - ChicagoGTZ sums it up best "Scootin unfortunately knows what he is talking about"...

J
All I said was "I wouldn't let you make me an exhaust." He interpreted it as me bashing the hell out of him, all I said was that he sounded very inexperienced. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being inexperienced, and I never tried to suggest that. He took that as me bashing him for being inexperienced, and reacted in a way that attempted to disprove my "belief." His reaction to my statement resulted in a reaction of my own...I didn't start a single bit of drama in this thread.

sho-tyme
10-14-2004, 03:36 PM
how did itest test cause i ask him what a madrel bend was. thats not a test and if you take it as a test maybe he or she should go back to school and i never said he didnt know what he was talking about i give him respect he does know his shizzel as somebody said on here, the thing that gets me is how he know nothing about me my skills or anything and says i dont know what im talking about kinda a fast judgement dont you
think

pinoyesv6
10-14-2004, 03:37 PM
guys guys. back on topic. or we're gonna have to take this to OT.

here let me start.

how much you figure materials are gonna cost. since you know how to bent pipe, im assuming you've bought pipe before so you should at least have an estimate of how much things are gonna cost.

what kinda materials are u using?

ChikagoGTZ
10-14-2004, 03:39 PM
I'd say, for the 100 in labor you are gonna charge, plus 65 in parts, plus a muffler (50-75 for a cheap ass one) were looking around 250 bucks then? Plus shipping. More power to you, but I'd say if you're gonna publicize something you are gonna build...build it first. Check out pricing at regional Merlin and Midas places, I dont think it's nearly 400, and plus, for 370 you can get a dynomax cat-back, full Stainless nonetheless.

10-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Ok, back on topic.

If you find out that these "stock" exhaust systems are working well for you, you can fairly easily convert to making power systems for only slightly more. If you really get good at welding, just buy pre-mandrel-bent bends online (you can buy them in 180* bends and cut them to the necessary degree), charge a little bit more, make the piping size a bit bigger (like 2.75"-3", depending on the application), and you have a better-than-stock exhaust.

ChikagoGTZ
10-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Ok, back on topic.

If you find out that these "stock" exhaust systems are working well for you, you can fairly easily convert to making power systems for only slightly more. If you really get good at welding, just buy pre-mandrel-bent bends online (you can buy them in 180* bends and cut them to the necessary degree), charge a little bit more, make the piping size a bit bigger (like 2.75"-3", depending on the application), and you have a better-than-stock exhaust.

Mandrel bends are not the cheapest...from what I can tell, You'll need 4-5 bends, plus interpiping...flanges, hangers....resonator (glass pack are great)...http://www.headersbyed.com/mandrelb.htm for the bends...

sho-tyme
10-14-2004, 03:46 PM
ok maybe i should start this over
1st im going to make it for my car and if its worth a damn i might make like to or three in my spare time and sned them to someone willing to test them for quality(not horse power) cause i dont have a dyno to test anything btw i wouldnt charge you for them

2nd i dont have a press bender( all i got is my welder) so i have to wait till get it so see if i can do it and make it look good

3rd i was just trying to see if anyone would be intrested in this if not then there is not reaseon to make a couple extra more and waste my time

i prolly forgot a few things but just ask me and ill tell you

ps sry scoot for bashing your opinon

sho-tyme
10-14-2004, 03:49 PM
Mandrel bends are not the cheapest...from what I can tell, You'll need 4-5 bends, plus interpiping...flanges, hangers....resonator (glass pack are great)...http://www.headersbyed.com/mandrelb.htm for the bends...

ok maybe i should call them semi stock systems cause there are no resonators just the piping from the cat to the muffler unless someone wanted them but i would have to thinkabout that for a while

ChikagoGTZ
10-14-2004, 03:54 PM
ok maybe i should start this over
1st im going to make it for my car and if its worth a damn i might make like to or three in my spare time and sned them to someone willing to test them for quality(not horse power) cause i dont have a dyno to test anything btw i wouldnt charge you for them

2nd i dont have a press bender( all i got is my welder) so i have to wait till get it so see if i can do it and make it look good

3rd i was just trying to see if anyone would be intrested in this if not then there is not reaseon to make a couple extra more and waste my time

i prolly forgot a few things but just ask me and ill tell you

ps sry scoot for bashing your opinon

What kind of welder do you have? Make and Model?

sho-tyme
10-14-2004, 03:59 PM
its a lincoln tig welder invertec V160-S
i would like to get a nice little wire feed though

ChikagoGTZ
10-14-2004, 04:27 PM
I want the new Performance 185...sweetness, and all for under 1600. It comes with a pulser for really nice welds! If I was to start a shop up, this would be the welder to get it started...small, performance driven, and has tons of features.

bigbluetotoro
10-14-2004, 05:41 PM
:shock: hehehe GOOD LAWD!!! i thought you guys were about to unzip and start measuring your dongs >_< . wow. i see where both are coming from in this little conflict. sho- was just saying that he was gonna try something and if it worked then if someone was interested, then he'd do it again. he wasn't shoveing it down peoples throats and stealing their wallets (last time i checked). but to also be fair he did challange Scootinintegra which just turned into quite an entertaining read. anyways. Sho-i think that you should try it and then see how it works. then you'd have proof if someone challanges you. good luck https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/happy.gif

sho-tyme
10-14-2004, 06:02 PM
hehehe GOOD LAWD!!! i thought you guys were about to unzip and start measuring your dongs >_< . wow. i see where both are coming from in this little conflict. sho- was just saying that he was gonna try something and if it worked then if someone was interested, then he'd do it again. he wasn't shoveing it down peoples throats and stealing their wallets (last time i checked). but to also be fair he did challange Scootinintegra which just turned into quite an entertaining read. anyways. Sho-i think that you should try it and then see how it works. then you'd have proof if someone challanges you. good luck https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/happy.gif

hey bro thanks for the input thats the kinda stuff we need on here more positve less negative

Fall Out Boy
10-15-2004, 12:32 AM
lmfao, im so glad i found this board.....sure beats watching TV at 1am after a long day of school and work.....

10-15-2004, 12:33 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fall Out Boy)</div><div class='quotemain'>lmfao, im so glad i found this board.....sure beats watching TV at 1am after a long day of school and work.....</div>
Where in Chicago are you?

Fall Out Boy
10-15-2004, 01:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scootinintegra)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fall Out Boy)</div><div class='quotemain'>lmfao, im so glad i found this board.....sure beats watching TV at 1am after a long day of school and work.....</div>
Where in Chicago are you?</div>

sw and nw burbs.