PDA

View Full Version : Rippmods V6 Headers - Slightly Pic Intensive

Auto-9
10-16-2004, 06:09 PM
These headers were installed on my completely stock (by popular demand) 6G72 powered 2001 California spec automatic Galant V6.

Experience:
My experience with Rippmods was mostly positive. They have great customer service and they know how to please. The only problems I had were with lack of communication. No one seemed to know where the headers were or when they'd be in stock (placed my order at the beginning of August and received in the middle of October so I know how the RPW headers guys feel), and eventually my order was even lost, though I'm hesitant to place blame on them since I did kinda try to cancel unsuccessfully, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

The Headers:
The only thing the headers live up to from the product description is the fact that it truly is check engine light free. For $1,260 I'm a bit unimpressed, but then again I really didn't expect even 20 horses. At least they look good, increase power across the board, and passed 2 out of 3 state inspections given by friends (I live in Texas, another dual inspection state with inspections on safety and emissions). The headers are also MUCH lighter than stock components. My front end is actually a quarter of an inch higher now. They also hang a bit lower than stock, about half an inch to a full inch at the cats, so beware if you're dropped. For those who have not yet installed their headers, please inspect your welds!!! My headers have minor leaks and are slightly raspy, but it's not too big a deal. At least they're ceramic coated, right?

Baseline: 137.4 horsepower 152.4 torque
Headers: 146.4 horsepower 159.3 torque
Of course, I fully expect Rippmods to defend their product with "all cars are different and will react differently to modifications" along with being able to get away with not guaranteeing any numbers (always a very smart business decision).

Overall experience with Rippmods: A (Awesome job by Ross and Joe)
Overall satisfaction with headers: D+

http://img42.exs.cx/img42/2271/headers.jpg
Displayed in all their glory.

http://img42.exs.cx/img42/9953/underbody.jpg
During installation.

http://img42.exs.cx/img42/4066/engine5.jpg
The engine bay.

http://img42.exs.cx/img42/1058/dyno.jpg
On the dyno.

http://img42.exs.cx/img42/3531/graph.jpg
I know it's blurry, but at least you can see the powerband.

http://img42.exs.cx/img42/9900/noSES.jpg
It's blurry, but for those of you who knows where your lights are you know the "Engine Service Soon" light is not on.

If I missed anything or if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Fall Out Boy
10-16-2004, 06:57 PM
lmao...you just spent over a grand for 9 extra hp...........im sorry. Was it the "BOLT ON 30 HP" that got you? Gotta love marketing. I have never known any header system to actually give you that much of a gain straight out the box. You planning on getting the sds tho?

Im looking into picking up the XIR system...im completely stock too. If i do get it, ill have to dyno it so we can see what the difference is. Thanks for the info tho..

peanotation
10-16-2004, 07:00 PM
9 WHEEL hp was gained. which is pretty impressive for headers, especially on a shitty mitsu auto tranny.

do you plan on going sds soon? or is the tranny rebuild gonna set you back https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

DryBear
10-16-2004, 07:10 PM
I know Ripp touts their headers as "not needing any tuning," but are you going to pick up an SAFC or something for tuning?

Auto-9
10-16-2004, 08:15 PM
To answer your questions:

No, it wasn't the advertisement that got me. The best I've seen is a Camaro Z28 running Edelbrock headers that made 13 horsepower so I wasn't expecting much out of these. I walked in hoping for at least 10, and looks like I got it. The guy you see doing the install estimated 10 hp and 9 torque...he was almost dead on. I'm no longer in aftermarket mods after my disaster when I first started back in 1999. I did this because both of my pre-cats have failed, and to replace both would have cost me more than the headers so I went ahead and went this route. Plus, people have been waiting forever for a dyno of the headers on an otherwise stock V6. Most people don't realize though that even this wussy gain is actually pretty impressive for a naturally aspirated engine.

No, I will not be running the SDS. Too much money, I don't care about it, it will absolutely fail emissions here, and I'm getting a 2005 6MT G35 with the 298 hp engine. The headers are a gift to my youngest brother who will be inheriting this car. As a result of course I will not be running with a SAFC either (I sold it to 2True long ago anyway).

8ggalant
10-16-2004, 08:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Auto-9)</div><div class='quotemain'>
and I'm getting a 2005 6MT G35 with the 298 hp engine. The headers are a gift to my youngest brother who will be inheriting this car. As a result of course I will not be running with a SAFC either (I sold it to 2True long ago anyway).</div>

goood choice on the 35 bro...my buddy who previously owned a 7g just bought a 2004.5 and he LOVES it..hell i do too and it aint my car lol...im tryin to get him to get some tuning done to get that 298 (nissan/infiniti says there were no MAJOR mods done to the car to extract the extra power..we'll see haha) but the 05 will also have 19's and a few more interior accessories...so itll have a lil more weight to pull with the 298...hell its still gonna be awesome....good choice again

BTT

Grenbogys
10-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Just curious....how much horsepower to bikes like Hayabusas have at the wheel if anyone knows?

Grenbogys
10-16-2004, 10:54 PM
Okay nm i found it, it has like 160 hp....i think i'll save and get one of those https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

seth98esT
10-16-2004, 11:28 PM
You should have ported your windshield and ran without any oil Peter! You would have seen at least 100 more whp! Sheesh :biggrin:

SilverDragonGTZ
10-17-2004, 05:09 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fall Out Boy)</div><div class='quotemain'>lmao...you just spent over a grand for 9 extra hp...........im sorry. Â*Was it the "BOLT ON 30 HP" that got you? Â*Gotta love marketing. Â* Â*I have never known any header system to actually give you that much of a gain straight out the box. Â*You planning on getting the sds tho? Â*

Im looking into picking up the XIR system...im completely stock too. Â*If i do get it, ill have to dyno it so we can see what the difference is. Â*Thanks for the info tho..</div>

you have fun with that XIR system...the reason why ripp can brag about their headers...is because even with the 8g's picky picky ECU's...they do NOT throw codes...granted i believe they're overpriced as hell...and dont plan on buying them....gotta give credit where credits due....like i said...have fun with XIR :wink:

10-17-2004, 01:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know Ripp touts their headers as "not needing any tuning,"</div>
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

DryBear
10-17-2004, 01:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scootinintegra)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>I know Ripp touts their headers as "not needing any tuning,"</div>
What the hell is that supposed to mean?</div>

From their webpage:
http://www.rippmods.com/products/products_...3&productId=150 ('http://www.rippmods.com/products/products_list_details.asp?menuid=3&productId=150')
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>This designed derived from the electronics need for variances in the banks. The units will offer excellent heat scavenging when combined with our supercharging system (SDS). Although designed for a naturally aspirated engine, they will offer tremendous flow at upper RPM’s. In stock form they will bolt on a nominal 44hp WITH NO ELECTRONICS.</div>

I also remember Ross claiming no tuning was needed with his headers either here or at GalantForums.

Dont you just love marketing! :roll:

Auto-9
10-17-2004, 02:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>You should have ported your windshield and ran without any oil Peter! Â*You would have seen at least 100 more whp! Sheesh :biggrin:</div>

I got neons buddy. Guaranteed 150 whp at least!

10-17-2004, 03:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>This designed derived from the electronics need for variances in the banks. The units will offer excellent heat scavenging when combined with our supercharging system (SDS). Although designed for a naturally aspirated engine, they will offer tremendous flow at upper RPM’s. In stock form they will bolt on a nominal 44hp WITH NO ELECTRONICS.</div>
He claims 44hp gains with just headers, no tuning or anything? Shit, even LS1s don't make that kind of power gains off just headers. Smells like BS to me.

Cali
10-18-2004, 09:17 AM
wow that's a lot of bull..44hp? man, i'd call back and at least ask for half your money back.

Danger DANJ
10-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Wow, that gain really sucks. Just think, those of you with Fed specs will gain even less. I was thinking about getting these headers, but I doubt it now. I'm curious how much better the headers would work on a Cali spec with other mods or even with the SDS?

jusmills
10-18-2004, 11:02 AM
I was interested in finding out just how much loss our auto trannies cost...
with the numbers auto-9 supplied (and assuming mitsu claims of 200 or 195 hp.. I forgot which the V6 puts out at the crank)

If 200 hp and he got 137.4 whp (31.3% loss)
Assuming w/ headers he expected (+44 hp) 244 hp crank would yield 167.6 (w/ 31.3% loss)
Actually (assuming +44hp at the crank) 244 hp and he got 146.4 (40% loss)
Assuming that the auto tranny will maintain consistent loss of 31.3%, then the headers gave a 213.1 hp at the crank which is 13.1 hp over stock

In all actuality, I'd almost think that its believable that the the auto tranny as you add more HP accounts for more loss. Although I'm not totally believing the +44 number that Ripp gave (maybe on a perfect day, and never able to be reproduced).

ChikagoGTZ
10-18-2004, 01:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cali)</div><div class='quotemain'>wow that's a lot of bull..44hp? man, i'd call back and at least ask for half your money back.</div>

44 was on a v6 running an SDS, with FI you will get much better gains from Headers.

Dave

DryBear
10-18-2004, 01:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChikagoGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cali)</div><div class='quotemain'>wow that's a lot of bull..44hp? man, i'd call back and at least ask for half your money back.</div>

44 was on a v6 running an SDS, with FI you will get much better gains from Headers.

Dave</div>

I don't know, the way it is worded, it sound like it was on a stock G:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>In stock form they will bolt on a nominal 44hp WITH NO ELECTRONICS.</div>

I am curious though, if someone were to do a manual swap, how much HP would be freed up?

peanotation
10-18-2004, 01:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>In stock form they will bolt on a nominal 44hp WITH NO ELECTRONICS.</div>

I am curious though, if someone were to do a manual swap, how much HP would be freed up?</div>

a ton.

10-18-2004, 03:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChikagoGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cali)</div><div class='quotemain'>wow that's a lot of bull..44hp? man, i'd call back and at least ask for half your money back.</div>

Dave</div>
yeah, as wonderingpinoy said, that's pretty shady. If you're going to use the word stock, you better damn well mean stock. It's pretty shitty to play on the inexperience of some people to make a buck.

Auto-9
10-18-2004, 07:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>Wow, that gain really sucks. Just think, those of you with Fed specs will gain even less. I was thinking about getting these headers, but I doubt it now. I'm curious how much better the headers would work on a Cali spec with other mods or even with the SDS?</div>

That's why I did this test, for you guys who are considering. As for how it would perform with the SDS, it is required, or else you risk blowing out something in your engine, like gaskets. After comparing them to the stock manifolds, I believe Rippmods on this one.

After more extensive testing, I have some advice for those who are still actively considering this system. Please note that the headers, despite having flex pipes, feel like they're not flexing at all. In D stopped at a light my car will shudder like a battleship being shelled. Horrible really if you're stuck in stop and go traffic, but once you step on the gas it thankfully goes away. It's especially bad on my car because I have solid motor mounts (my stock ones were busted at 23k miles). As for the 9ish hp gain, the butt dyno says different. It's kinda like driving a BMW, it just feels stronger than it should. I haven't had a 0-60 run timed because of my tranny shifting problem, but step on the gas at any RPM and the response is instant and hard. It may just be that these cars are like the Mazda RX-8 when being dynoed; i.e. they put down less power than they're really rated at (and thus the highly publicized but incorrect claim that Mazda overrated the RX-8 but still bought them back anyway) due to the car's brain realizing something isn't right. The exhaust leak though is starting to really get on my nerves. If you can picture a late '60s diesel truck ticking away as it accelerates, you will have just about the perfect sound of my car. As for the hissing when I accelerate or let off the gas I have no idea whether or not it's from the flow of exhaust or from the leak.

seth98esT
10-18-2004, 08:38 PM
What dyno did you use? Dynos very greatly. You could dyno on a DynoJet at 170whp and then go to a Dyno-dynamics dyno and only dyno at 150whp...

Djayfusion99_es_v6
10-18-2004, 09:55 PM
so these headers from rippmods u say ur car shudders like being bombarded by a battleship? is that cuz the tranz is messed up or just the motor mounts being solid i was highly considering a set of headers but i don't kknow if i wanna buy rippmod's headers anymore

Auto-9
10-19-2004, 07:04 PM
What dyno did you use? Dynos very greatly. You could dyno on a DynoJet at 170whp and then go to a Dyno-dynamics dyno and only dyno at 150whp...

I only have access to a DynoJet.

so these headers from rippmods u say ur car shudders like being bombarded by a battleship? is that cuz the tranz is messed up or just the motor mounts being solid i was highly considering a set of headers but i don't kknow if i wanna buy rippmod's headers anymore

I would think it's the headers. My car didn't shudder like this with my stock components even with my solid mounts, which is why I suggested this was caused by the headers having a lack of flexing ability. A non-shifting tranny won't cause your car to shake with the engine revs I don't think.

Danger DANJ
10-22-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm actually wondering if you would have gained more HP if the headers were not leaking? Perhaps there is a loss of back perssure. That could be why you are shuddering too.

Auto-9
10-22-2004, 05:17 PM
I'm actually wondering if you would have gained more HP if the headers were not leaking? Perhaps there is a loss of back perssure. That could be why you are shuddering too.

I dunno...wish I could tell ya. The install guy told me it's very minor and wouldn't affect output since it's only a 1mm hole. If I find out I'd be happy to let you know. But I already know it's not why the car is shaking. It's the lack of flexing ability for certain.

Auto-9
10-26-2004, 01:42 AM
Well guess what...SES light came on https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Shop pulled several emissions related codes, though what they are exactly I dunno. These babies are coming off as soon as I get a chance.

peanotation
10-26-2004, 01:45 AM
damn, that sucks. how long has it been since you put them on?

Danger DANJ
10-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Wait a minute! I've run through the Eclipse and Stratus boards, and they are all getting hp numbers way higher than what you got. And that shuddering you are getting, there must be something wrong with your car. I wasn't sure what to think, all I could concentrate on was the number 9, but I just realized something. Take a look at the hp you put down for your baseline. That in itself is horrible. Others have posted their baselines on the V6 in the past on this site and usually hit like 148-150 hp and you only got 137! You better check your car out.

Auto-9
11-03-2004, 04:25 PM
Wait a minute! I've run through the Eclipse and Stratus boards, and they are all getting hp numbers way higher than what you got. And that shuddering you are getting, there must be something wrong with your car. I wasn't sure what to think, all I could concentrate on was the number 9, but I just realized something. Take a look at the hp you put down for your baseline. That in itself is horrible. Others have posted their baselines on the V6 in the past on this site and usually hit like 148-150 hp and you only got 137! You better check your car out.

Maybe so, but it's still pretty much on par with Cali spec numbers. At the crank the engine is rated at 190 hp 205 torque, and my baseline is exactly 15 apart as well. I'm just losing a bit more in the drivetrain losses. Even with that kind of loss come on, 9 hp gain? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I already had compression checked and everything on my engine after my nitrous run in; techs verified everything was ok and the only thing that was gutted was the intake.

Danger DANJ
11-03-2004, 04:41 PM
I just can't see how you only got a 9hp gain and every othe 6G72 engine with the RIPP headers gets a gain in the 30's or higher. The cars I've seen have all had an S-AFC II or something similar and an intake... some had cat-back exhausts too. But, some of them were Fed specs, which should get less of a gain than a Cali spec. Are you sure the 02 sensors are properly wired and are functioning properly, since I'm pretty sure you had to extend some wires? Maybe that's why you are getting the SES light? Something is just not right. I haven't heard of anyone else with the RIPP headers throwing SES lights. I don't know. I'm hoping to have some money saved up so I can give these headers a shot in the spring. I just wish there was somewhere near me to get my car dynoed.

Djayfusion99_es_v6
11-03-2004, 08:24 PM
damn that is some news for my eards danj sounds like maybe a tuning problem on auto9's car. but if the eclipse and stratus are making the numbers i'd like to hear some galant guys making some numbers with that header

kaioshin
11-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Well, where to start.

The numbers you're seeing off the Eclipse and Stratus boards are mostly off manuals; thus, the higher overall WHP. Remember, the 200bhp rated 6G72's with autos are typically throwing down in the high 140whp. And besides no 3g/2g stratus has put down 33whp bone stock with the RIPP header swap, the numbers are more near the tens. Some people have claimed nearly 30whp gains but they also installed a CAI/WAI and catback exhaust which would make a huge difference in the engine breathing.

If you're thinking since it's an automatic that the physical gain would be less than a manual, it's not. It would just net a lower overall gain.

Are RIPP Headers good? Yes; however, they're over priced.
Will RIPP Headers out perform shorty style headers? Slightly, and i mean SLIGHTLY, but is it worth the extra 800$ for 2whp?

The truth of the matter is RIPP has had one good product, the SDS. People praise them for this and believe all of their other products are a godsend like SDS. A false consensus has been drawn up in the 6G72 community that RIPP is much better than it's competition; thus, why their prices are so much higher.

No 6G72 will see an increase of 33whp in bone stock form just by switching the RIPP header system in. Maybe if he were talking 33whp between having SDS with stock exhaust and having SDS with RIPP headers i would believe Ross, but that's not what he's stated nor is it what the general public believes.

Djayfusion99_es_v6
11-21-2004, 11:14 PM
thanks kaioshin for enlightening me on this header question earlier this week i did find out something more about tuning. Which made your theory correct. once again i am enlightened! =)