PDA

View Full Version : duals maybe ?

datdude305
10-16-2004, 10:01 PM
ok searched and i kno the dauls hurt the i4 but i the swap i am dreaming for ever happens will it still hurt me or is ther hope ?

dreams:
4g63T or sds hell maybe even turbo the 64
5 spd
duals

01GalantLSV6
10-18-2004, 01:04 PM
duals wont do you any good for those swaps. all you need is a 2.5 inch catback and thats already too big from an N/A I4, and could even be too small for a highly boosted car. you need to make a solid decision on what setup you will be running and how high the boost will be. im unaware of a single boosted import that uses a dual exhaust. one straight pipe back with minimal bends is what will be best. now, if you want it strictly for looks, its a different story, but if you do that before your boosted it will sound like crap and not help you at all.

10-18-2004, 04:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(01GalantLSV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>duals wont do you any good for those swaps. Â*all you need is a 2.5 inch catback and thats already too big from an N/A I4, and could even be too small for a highly boosted car. Â*you need to make a solid decision on what setup you will be running and how high the boost will be. Â*im unaware of a single boosted import that uses a dual exhaust. Â*one straight pipe back with minimal bends is what will be best. Â*now, if you want it strictly for looks, its a different story, but if you do that before your boosted it will sound like crap and not help you at all.</div>
2.5" should be fine for an NA I4, especially a larger one like a 4g64. As for FI, you want big piping. Exhaust gas velocity is no longer a problem with an FI system, so you just need to open it up as much as possible. Everything from a larger downpipe to a bigger exhaust system will help everything from spool time (very noticeable, btw) to maximum power. Don't be afraid to go 3" on FI systems. But yes, stay with a single system. The only reason big motors go with duals is because a single 5 or 6" system is too big to fit under the car. Also, you can get into individualizing banks of cylinders for premium exhaust gas flow and such, but that's a very advanced tuning technique that you don't need to worry about, and is only an option on multi cylinder bank engines (V, H, W, etc).

Oh, and the MR-2 uses a pseudo-dual exhaust, and its a boosted 4 cyli import. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif Not to mention the 6 cylinder 300zx or the 3000gt vr-4.

01GalantLSV6
10-18-2004, 06:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Oh, and the MR-2 uses a pseudo-dual exhaust, and its a boosted 4 cyli import. Â*Not to mention the 6 cylinder 300zx or the 3000gt vr-4.</div>

are they true dual or just y pipes? if they are true dual i stand corrected. btw, my friend has a wrx running 30 psi of boost and he actually went 3.5 inch...the biggest piping ive seen on a boosted 4 cyl ever

datdude305
10-18-2004, 07:46 PM
i was thinking of traying the pipe to where it gose to the driver side and then just do mirror bend on the other side nothing with the cat well not yet :twisted: