PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Keys

Bigg Boi
10-01-2002, 08:12 PM
I was walking through wal-mart a couple days ago and i stumbled into the automotive section. I stopped at the key place and asked them to make me a copy of my key. According to the guy, since there is a chip in the key that lets the car start, I have to get a copy made from the dealer. He says that it could be around $50. I haven't gotten a chance to go to the dealer lately and I was wondering if $50 for a spare key is right. What did those of you with replacement keys pay?

BGR
10-01-2002, 08:18 PM
Yes. There is a chip inside the keys. Pretty ingenious little buggers, too. It's not only coded for the ignition but also for the glove box and trunk. Your GRAY valet key will not open the glove box or trunk.

Sounds about right (as buying from the dealer cost an arm and a leg for anything). I've seen several 'blank' keys on ebay. I'm not sure where you'll have to get it cut and coded, though. Our Vender (DelRayMitsubishi) supplies us with Genuine Mitsubishi Parts at 25% off.

pinoyesv6
10-01-2002, 08:26 PM
I asked @ my dealer. Its about 15 dollars for the blank and another 30 dollars to get it programmed. Hmm, i guess i shoulda struck a deal when i bought my car for more keys lol. But don't complain, my uncle's honda key costs him over a hundred dollars, or at least thats what the dealer charged him when he wanted another 1

BBGalant
10-01-2002, 08:31 PM
I have a 99 ES I4. I got a key copied at the dealership for 7.50. Are all 8G supposed to have this "chip"?

GalantUSA
10-01-2002, 08:43 PM
2000 models and up has the encoded key.

I have a 99 ES I4. I got a key copied at the dealership for 7.50. Are all 8G supposed to have this "chip"?

GalantUSA
10-01-2002, 08:45 PM
The "teeth" to the grey and black keys are different. The grey one is cut so that it only works for the ignition. The black one is cut so it opens all locks. It's just like the master keys hotels etc have.

Yes. There is a chip inside the keys. Pretty ingenious little buggers, too. It's not only coded for the ignition but also for the glove box and trunk. Your GRAY valet key will not open the glove box or trunk.

Sounds about right (as buying from the dealer cost an arm and a leg for anything). I've seen several 'blank' keys on ebay. I'm not sure where you'll have to get it cut and coded, though. Our Vender (DelRayMitsubishi) supplies us with Genuine Mitsubishi Parts at 25% off.

BGR
10-01-2002, 08:48 PM
The "teeth" to the grey and black keys are different. The grey one is cut so that it only works for the ignition. The black one is cut so it opens all locks. It's just like the master keys hotels etc have.

I placed both my keys together and they matched perfectly.

10-02-2002, 01:45 AM
My brother's 2000 civic, he just made a regular $3 copy and it works.

speedygalant
10-05-2002, 01:37 PM

I placed both my keys together and they matched perfectly.

They are different. I looked at mine and they are. Plus my glovebox lock came off and there is no computer or sensor there. Sorry BGR. it's just what i saw dude.

BGR
10-05-2002, 02:24 PM
I'm holding both of the keys in my hand right now (well not right now) and like I said, both of MY keys (the black one and the gray one) match perfectly. There is no difference in the shape my two keys.

Checked it with the spare key. Same thing. I'm assuming everyone's Galant came with 3 keys, right?

speedygalant
10-05-2002, 02:55 PM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif okay, i got all my three keys in front of me and the valet key is different. it is. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Bigg Boi
10-05-2002, 03:23 PM
The joys of buying your Galant at a used car dealership. I only got one key. That's why I need a replacenment key. Also, should I get a copy of my keyless entry control or should I just go and get a new alarm system?

BGR
10-05-2002, 03:42 PM
I wonder if the year has anything to do with it. Mine is a 2000.

Replacement remote? I wouldn't worry about it if the alarm will unlock the door for you.

Fishboy55
10-05-2002, 07:22 PM
I wonder if the year has anything to do with it. Mine is a 2000.

Replacement remote? I wouldn't worry about it if the alarm will unlock the door for you.
You're right Rich. Mine's also a 2000 and I just compared my Valet key to my ignition key. They're identical

Chip

speedygalant
10-05-2002, 07:24 PM
mine is different. it's most likely because i have a 2001. i guess you are right on that rich.

pinoyesv6
10-06-2002, 04:59 PM
The joys of buying your Galant at a used car dealership. I only got one key. That's why I need a replacenment key. Also, should I get a copy of my keyless entry control or should I just go and get a new alarm system?

i'd go with the alarm. i dunno about the alarm system ur gonna get but with the alarm i had in my galant, when i disarmed it, the doors would unlock and when i armed the car, the doors would lock

Bigg Boi
10-06-2002, 06:01 PM
Do you guys have recommendations on alarm systems? (Under $400)

pinoyesv6
10-06-2002, 06:07 PM
Do you guys have recommendations on alarm systems? (Under $400)

DEI makes good alarms. check out ur local alarm shop to see what they offer since most alarms are sold installed. also check out the options on the alarms pertaining to upgrading. like putting in more sensors, the siren, etc etc

speedygalant
10-06-2002, 06:07 PM
what features are you looking for?

Bigg Boi
10-06-2002, 06:09 PM
I'm looking for: key-less entry, remote start (if possibly around that price range), and an alarm.

speedygalant
10-06-2002, 06:16 PM
UltraStart makes one. the model number is 2250. the specs are:

Two 434MHz OEM Style Transmitters
Factory Alarm Disarm
Programmable Cold Weather Timer
Selectable Runtime
LED and valet Switch
Car finder feature
2 Stage shock
Anti-carjack Module
128db 6 tone siren with soft chirp

i think they have a separate relay for door opening. this setup will probably run you less than your budget. to give you an idea, i sell the 2250 for 79.99.

Bigg Boi
10-06-2002, 06:19 PM
That car finder would really come in handy. I've had a few occasions where I had to use the lock button on the factory control that has the horn blow and the lights flash in order to find my car. (I got the memory of a freakin' goldfish https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif )

YELLOWGALANT
11-09-2002, 10:52 AM
50 bucks to get it programmed and cut, that is way too cheap. My dealer here in Fl wanted 150 to get that job done. Cause i was missing the original key all i had was the valet key. I ended up buyin one off ebay but never had the time to program it.

tfarol
11-09-2002, 01:10 PM
I have a 2002 and i compared my valet to my main key and they are identical???

Dominicano
11-09-2002, 11:43 PM
the 99 does not have a chip so that is the cheapest 5 bucks for the key and any one can cut it, the 2000 and up the keys with the transponder is 45 dollars each at dealer cost. the garage i parked my car in lost my key so they had to replace it. in my area labor charge is 79 bucks and hour. so in total it came out to close to 140 bucks. the thing is that all the keys have to programmed together because they are given sequence numbers. i tried putting the key that was no programmed into the ignition it turn the car on but once i move the shifter to drrive the car turned right off.

manybrews
11-10-2002, 08:51 AM
okay.. heres how it works.
the 99s did NOT have the immobilizer system, hence they used normal keys.
they DID have a black standard key, and a grey valet key. to the eyes, these look identical, but the valet key should be thicker (i think). Go try it, youll see the valet key doesnt work in the trunk or glovebox.

now, with the 2000 models they introduced the immobilizer system, which is working incredibly. its cut car theft on these models by 85 percent. They still have a valet key, but each key has to be programmed to the car, as no two have the same encoded frequency on their chips..

heres the problem, though... i see you want to add "remote start" to your car. the ONLY way this can be done is by overriding the immobilizer system.. usually a company will cut open a key, and attach the chip inside the steering column bezel by the immobilizer antenna. this fools the system into thinking the key is in the ignition, rendering the very advanced security of the immobilizer worthless.
a very STUPID idea in my mind. doing this makes the car as easy to steal as any other car on the market. i could break in and be gone in under 1 minute.
i guess what im trying to say is that if you get a security system, do NO get a remote started. security systems (especially aftermarket ones) are not very good. they do little to keep out real crooks, although its better than nothing.
frankly, if you have something worth stealing inside your car, id remove it at night.. its the only way to be safe.

2001SCREAMER
11-10-2002, 03:06 PM
you just need a remote bypass module.It's a box that you put your transponder key in and when you start the car it send the signal from the key to the ignition through a small circular antenna that you place around the ignition. The thing is you have to get an extra key. The only time it's active is when you remote start the car. This way the immobilizer still functions. What I did was go get a key put had them leave it uncut. So if someone did break in and got the key it would be useless. There are a few company that make them like DEI and I think Omega.

Gspeedvr42k1
11-11-2002, 02:58 AM
Why would they give you a valet key that doesnt open the trunk but it opens the door, cause if u open the door u can pop the trunk from the inside WOW, lol DIDnt take a rocket scientist on that one. SO its ONLY for the glove box. ahah Mitsu is so gay sometimes...

unlike in the bmw with the valet key it has a chip in it. if u open the door with the valet key and try to open it with the glove box it wont open and also the trunk release inside gets locked up and it wont let u move the lever, lol how creative... bmw's are very smart...

and yea and BGR your right the keys do match all 3 of them do cause i checked... i dont got a galant no more cause i totaled it. but i just got a used 2000 BMW 323i 5spd with 28K miles on it for $13,999 in PERFECT condition no scratches nothing and like new inside doesnt look like its been used...

pinoyesv6
11-11-2002, 05:49 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gspeedvr42k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Why would they give you a valet key that doesnt open the trunk but it opens the door, cause if u open the door u can pop the trunk from the inside WOW, lol DIDnt take a rocket scientist on that one. SO its ONLY for the glove box. ahah Mitsu is so gay sometimes...

unlike in the bmw with the valet key it has a chip in it. if u open the door with the valet key and try to open it with the glove box it wont open and also the trunk release inside gets locked up and it wont let u move the lever, lol how creative... bmw's are very smart...

and yea and BGR your right the keys do match all 3 of them do cause i checked... i dont got a galant no more cause i totaled it. but i just got a used 2000 BMW 323i 5spd with 28K miles on it for $13,999 in PERFECT condition no scratches nothing and like new inside doesnt look like its been used...</div>

actually you can lock the trunk out by opening the pass thru and turning the knob into the lock position. once in the lock position you can only open the pass thru by means of the trunk

manybrews
11-11-2002, 05:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gspeedvr42k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>Why would they give you a valet key that doesnt open the trunk but it opens the door, cause if u open the door u can pop the trunk from the inside WOW, lol DIDnt take a rocket scientist on that one. SO its ONLY for the glove box. ahah Mitsu is so gay sometimes...

</div>
except for the fact that every car with a trunk that mitsu has sold in the last decade has a lock out inside the trunk to prevent this.

of course, people who read the owners manual would know this...

Gspeedvr42k1
11-11-2002, 11:24 PM
hmm intresting i just went thru mine and no such thing ohhh well i dont have a galant no more cause i totaled mine last week, i have a 2000 bmw 323i so ... but im looking for buying a used gtz soon...

pinoyesv6
11-11-2002, 11:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gspeedvr42k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>hmm intresting i just went thru mine and no such thing ohhh well i dont have a galant no more cause i totaled mine last week, i have a 2000 bmw 323i so ... but im looking for buying a used gtz soon...</div>

its on the rear pass thru. that lil door that folds down. on the back there is a lil knob that u turn for lock and unlock.

Fishboy55
11-12-2002, 07:55 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gspeedvr42k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>hmm intresting i just went thru mine and no such thing ohhh well i dont have a galant no more cause i totaled mine last week, i have a 2000 bmw 323i so ... but im looking for buying a used gtz soon...</div>

its on the rear pass thru. that lil door that folds down. on the back there is a lil knob that u turn for lock and unlock.</div>
Doesn't that little knob just lock out the passthru from being opened? I though to lock out the remote trunk release you clicked a button up by the trunk lock to immobilize the cable release.

Chip

pinoyesv6
11-12-2002, 08:46 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gspeedvr42k1)</div><div class='quotemain'>hmm intresting i just went thru mine and no such thing ohhh well i dont have a galant no more cause i totaled mine last week, i have a 2000 bmw 323i so ... but im looking for buying a used gtz soon...</div>

its on the rear pass thru. that lil door that folds down. on the back there is a lil knob that u turn for lock and unlock.</div>
Doesn't that little knob just lock out the passthru from being opened? I though to lock out the remote trunk release you clicked a button up by the trunk lock to immobilize the cable release.

Chip</div>

o yea...thats the easy way of getting into the trunk...me nd my complicated thoughts...i need my car back

Gspeedvr42k1
11-12-2002, 10:55 PM
lol i need mine back too, i miss my baby, i should never gone out that night, THAT FUCKING DEER DAMN BAMBI DAMN BAMBI TO HELL!