PDA

View Full Version : MAS screw update?

BlueESV6
10-01-2002, 08:41 PM
For those that did the MAS screw mod about 2 weeks ago... How has it turned out? Did you notice any real changes (better or worse)? Is this something to pursue (if you have a CAI and exhaust set up)? What do you think?

Thanks for the responses in advance! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Auto-9
10-01-2002, 11:59 PM
For me it was worthwhile, and the changes still seem to be in place. I don't know if it would apply to everyone but it worked a bit for me...until I get my S-AFC.

Fishboy55
10-02-2002, 08:15 AM
I'm still happy with it. The low end power is still there. My gas mileage is still at 24mpg, slightly better than my last tank. I'm actually thinking of backing it out another couple turns.

Chip

BlueESV6
10-02-2002, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback! ... this mod is definitely something to consider when (if) I ever get a CAI and muffler!

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

HeadAche
10-02-2002, 09:59 PM
I did mine like a while ago, and have had no problems with it.. i would suggest watch out on how far u back the screw out because u will run really lean and ur idle will get all wacky on u..

NRG
10-02-2002, 11:46 PM
Hmmmm I am lost.....Could you guys fill me in..?? I figured this mod had something to do with running rich/lean but where is the screw???? Does it really make for a better performance??

Fishboy55
10-03-2002, 06:19 AM
Hmmmm I am lost.....Could you guys fill me in..?? I figured this mod had something to do with running rich/lean but where is the screw???? Does it really make for a better performance??
Do a search on MAS screw NRG. There are photos and performance results there. I think it makes a difference on my car.

Chip

SuperchargedGTZ
10-03-2002, 08:10 AM
i did this some time ago cause my car was running super rich due to my DP. i guess i saw some difference. Just beware, make sure you carefully document how far you backed it out cause if you wanna get a afc or afr you have to readjust before you hook those up.

NRG
10-03-2002, 03:41 PM
I am doing mine today......But I just thought of something......The rubberish seal on the screw must be there for a reason. If we rub that off, maybe some air will be leaked??

Another thing is do you guys have the screw flushed or 2 thread more than flush?

SuperchargedGTZ
10-03-2002, 03:51 PM
it is just a silicone cover to prevent YOU from tampering with it. just cut it out, and if you are paranoid about that then just take some silicone sealant from home depot or something and fill it up after you make your adjustment.

FYI, for that to leak your intake would have to be under pressure like if you were boosted, like i will be next week......wwwwwwwwwwooooooo

NRG
10-03-2002, 05:12 PM
I flushed mine and drove around for awhile and I didn't notice any difference.........

SuperchargedGTZ
10-04-2002, 07:12 AM
did you reset your ecu....anytime you make an adjustment like that you should reset your ecu

everyone else agree?

Fishboy55
10-04-2002, 07:19 AM
I didn't reset mine. Just backed the screw out to one turn past flush and drove.

Chip

Auto-9
10-04-2002, 12:31 PM
I didn't reset mine...actually I never reset mine after mods...

Big H Killa
10-07-2002, 12:06 PM
Alright this mod make any difference in the leaness or richness of you're car. The reason i know this is b/c my brother in law just got a couple tachs put in and one of them happened to be an Air/Fuel Gauge. He was running a little rich when he came home and I was truning the screw all sorts of ways and it didn't really make any difference in his rich or leaness. But I do believe it helps with you throttle response b/c he mentioned to me that his car feels like the response is a little better.

Fishboy55
10-07-2002, 01:21 PM
Alright this mod make any difference in the leaness or richness of you're car. The reason i know this is b/c my brother in law just got a couple tachs put in and one of them happened to be an Air/Fuel Gauge. He was running a little rich when he came home and I was truning the screw all sorts of ways and it didn't really make any difference in his rich or leaness. But I do believe it helps with you throttle response b/c he mentioned to me that his car feels like the response is a little better.
Not necessarily true. The A/F meter measures in the closed loop operation. That only happens when your at WOT. when you're not at WOT, the meter is not accurate because it can't keep up with the number of measurements per second that are taking place. If you had hooked an AFC and changed the screw you would have seen the difference it makes.

Chip

Fishboy55
10-08-2002, 05:13 AM
Update: My MAF screw is out about two turns past flush. First tank of gas 24MPG. Latest tank of gas 22MPG. Not a major change, but something to keep an eye on. I'm also due for an oil change in about 500 miles, so that may be a factor. Just providing info.

Chip

Auto-9
10-08-2002, 08:13 AM
I gained 2 mpg after the synthetic oil change https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif Kinda stupid of me but I'm getting my car dyno tuned this week...should have waited for the oil change hehe...

Big H Killa
10-08-2002, 08:46 AM
So Fishboy AFC's measure the air fuel ratio more accurately? Or is that when the car idel's and you aren't at wide open throttle that's where the AFC helps compared to the Gauge Meter.

Fishboy55
10-08-2002, 11:32 AM
So Fishboy AFC's measure the air fuel ratio more accurately? Or is that when the car idel's and you aren't at wide open throttle that's where the AFC helps compared to the Gauge Meter.
Yes, of course they do. That's one of the reasons they cost $300 as opposed to $35. An air fuel meter will be accurate enough at WOT unless you have a bunch of mods like headers, boost, etc. Then you need an AFC to adjust and tune all that. The AF gauge just looks at it, can't do anything to adjust it.

Chip

cdaw2001ES
10-08-2002, 12:45 PM
I was checking this mod against my A/F meter and DMM voltage readings. It offers no chnage in A/F ration under 80% Throttle due to that being controlled by Lambda (02 sensor), I took it on the road at 4 different adjustments, between 1 turn and full out (it stops before it falls out) I did not see any major diff, At stock the WOT was hitting between the R and the H on my Autometer A/F and .91~ 1.25 on my DMM, at full out and WOT I was seeing Stohic to C, and .88 ~ 1.1. Now my test was flawed in a way, as Where I was driving, I couldn't stay at WOT for more then 2~3 seconds. It does len it out a bit, but to lock it in to true constant stohic @ wot is still gonna need an afc.

BlueESV6
10-17-2002, 09:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cdaw2001ES)</div><div class='quotemain'>I was checking this mod against my A/F meter and DMM voltage readings. It offers no chnage in A/F ration under 80% Throttle due to that being controlled by Lambda (02 sensor), I took it on the road at 4 different adjustments, between 1 turn and full out (it stops before it falls out) Â*I did not see any major diff, At stock the WOT was hitting between the R and the H on my Autometer A/F and .91~ 1.25 on my DMM, at full out and WOT I was seeing Stohic to C, and .88 ~ 1.1. Now my test was flawed in a way, as Where I was driving, I couldn't stay at WOT for more then 2~3 seconds. It does len it out a bit, but to lock it in to true constant stohic @ wot is still gonna need an afc.</div>

For those of us who don't speak AFC could you please translate that into English? Thanks in adavnce! :wink:

CNascimento
10-17-2002, 09:57 PM
Guys please help I did a search and I can't find the thread with this mod... Please let me know if someone can show me the link... Thanks for the help

Fishboy55
10-18-2002, 05:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CNascimento)</div><div class='quotemain'>Guys please help I did a search and I can't find the thread with this mod... Please let me know if someone can show me the link... Thanks for the help</div> Here ya go. The tutorial is about midway in the thread, and further down there's another tutorial from RRE with pics.

Chip
http://www.tgc-forums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic...3&highlight=mas ('http://www.tgc-forums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2823&highlight=mas')

CNascimento
10-18-2002, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the help dude

UrbaysGalant
11-06-2002, 03:11 PM
Is this mod even worth doing if everything under the hood is all stock? I heard it makes shifting and acceleration faster.. but would it even be worth it to do it w/o a cai or exhaust?

Fishboy55
11-06-2002, 04:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(UrbaysGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>Is this mod even worth doing if everything under the hood is all stock? I heard it makes shifting and acceleration faster.. but would it even be worth it to do it w/o a cai or exhaust?</div>
Best thing to do is try it, since it does no harm or damage. Just remember where the screw was before you move it so you can put it back if you're not pleased with the results.

Chip

Tiptronic
11-06-2002, 04:39 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>I gained 2 mpg after the synthetic oil change https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif Kinda stupid of me but I'm getting my car dyno tuned this week...should have waited for the oil change hehe...</div>

dont you mean dyno tested? and if not what is the advantage of getting it dyno tuned? its the first ive heard of this

Fishboy55
11-06-2002, 04:48 PM
A good speed shop will run your car on the dyno and then adjust the A/F mixture, etc. and then run it on the dyno again. It's usually about $75 but that's a whole lot cheaper than an AFC and it will get you the most out of your mods, especially if you have headers or a downpipe. I'm currently running mad rich, cause I can smell it. Hopefully gonna get dyno tuned at the December meet.

Chip

Tiptronic
11-07-2002, 07:41 PM
got it. thanks

HeadAche
11-08-2002, 01:59 PM
A good speed shop will run your car on the dyno and then adjust the A/F mixture, etc. and then run it on the dyno again. It's usually about $75 but that's a whole lot cheaper than an AFC and it will get you the most out of your mods, especially if you have headers or a downpipe. I'm currently running mad rich, cause I can smell it. Hopefully gonna get dyno tuned at the December meet.

Chip

Damn $75, hell i wish they charge that amount out here.. When i was getting my old motor tuned i was spending about $125 per hour to do it... thats with a minimum of about 2-3 hours of testing and re-testing.. but hell it was worth it..

Auto-9
11-08-2002, 08:17 PM
Yeah for me it's 75 for 3 runs or 125 for an hour...hehe