PDA

View Full Version : Is it wise to cut my New Springs?

naughtika
10-23-2004, 12:32 PM
I bought a set of new Springs, Front and Rear are Standard Height, I haven't installed it yet. But now i feel like lowering my car, is it wise to cut my new springs or should i return it and replace it with a lowered ones... i just wanna lower it about 1.5" Front and 1" Rear...

sho-tyme
10-23-2004, 12:59 PM
ride like shit and i wouldnt call it wise. if your intrested i have a set of skunk2 coilovers for a 99 plus galant 4cyl for 135 shipped and there brand new never installed

ChikagoGTZ
10-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Cutting your springs is the stupidest thing possible, might as well tack on a V-TEC sticker while you're at it....Get the Eibach pro-kit for the kind of drop you want, but I suggest the TEIN S-Tech.

Reelax
10-23-2004, 01:46 PM
DO NOT CUT STOCK SPRINGS. aftermarket lowering springs can usually b cut 1-2 coils but it is always better to get lowering springs at the height u want them at to begin w/ or get adjustable perch springs.

naughtika
10-23-2004, 01:53 PM
i'm not cutting my stock springs.. i know my ride would then get more shittier... at the moment with my stock springs... when i'm in full load (5 people in car) whenever i turn, the rear wheel arch keeps rubbing to my tires. at first i was actually thinking of keeping the rear stock height, then the front lower it about 1.5"

my Galant is a 7th Gen JDM with v6 motor

ChikagoGTZ
10-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Ok, let us rephrase this, Do not cut any springs. Loweing front and not the rear is stupid too, but I guess you can do it (you'll most likely have suspension balance problems)...sounds like your shocks could be shot in the rear, address this and you should control the bound of the suspension.

peanotation
10-23-2004, 03:06 PM
if you're gonna cut your springs you might as well start smoking swisher sweets, hang out with $5 hookers all day, listen to gangster rap, and perform drivebys at night with illegal firearms.

ChikagoGTZ
10-23-2004, 03:12 PM
if you're gonna cut your springs you might as well start smoking swisher sweets, hang out with $5 hookers all day, listen to gangster rap, and perform drivebys at night with illegal firearms.

Peano, I meet 2 of those requirements...what do I win? (I'm not saying which 2) haha

Zero_4073
10-23-2004, 04:37 PM
Imma say one of em' is the Swishers. People from Chi-town like Swishers https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

FastNFabolous
10-23-2004, 05:36 PM
:decline: :nope:

cballz 12
10-23-2004, 10:21 PM
sho-tyme im very intrested in the skunk2 coilovers let me know how you want the money https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

sho-tyme
10-24-2004, 12:35 PM
sho-tyme im very intrested in the skunk2 coilovers let me know how you want the money
PM sent

bronxbombr
10-24-2004, 01:30 PM
:decline: :nope:

ditto

ChikagoGTZ
10-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Imma say one of em' is the Swishers. People from Chi-town like Swishers https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Dead Prez, Dre, and some ole skool NWA!!!

Xska55
11-07-2004, 05:25 PM
ive cut a coil off the front on my sportlines and never had a problem in fact they rode 10 times better then my old skunk 2's

Serstylz2
11-07-2004, 05:27 PM
isnt cutting springs the most dangerous thing u can do also?

Xska55
11-07-2004, 05:40 PM
it probaly is dangerous on stock springs becuase it makes your car bounce all over the place but drop springs are stiffer, never had any issues with that

Censee
11-24-2004, 01:01 PM
u know one of the problems with cutting any springs is the way they will sit on the car,,,,,when u get lowering springs u will see that the top part of the spring is flat,,when u cut trhem the top part isnt flat anymore...so the spring sits tilted on the car and it starts rubbing agaiunst the strut...its very dangerous,,,but hey if u want to do it go ahead.....its not wise to ghetto rig it....why6 dont u invest in coil overs so u can adjust the height exactly wheree u want it....

seth98esT
11-24-2004, 01:10 PM
My springs were cut. They were DJPlays old springs so they were cut right. Ive been riding on them for over 2 years no problems and my car sits even. I wouldnt suggest cutting them though, its not a good idea unless you have a professional cut them.

Xska55
11-24-2004, 03:08 PM
how much of a professional do you have to be to cut springs, to cut one coil off you just start where the coil ends

and i know what you mean censee but when you drop the car off the jacks the springs are gonna compress alot on the top spring perch and its basically gonna lay flat

im not promoting cutting your aftermaket springs im just saying its not the "taboo" that people play it out to be.

EGALANT01
11-24-2004, 03:52 PM
i know some people that have cut there aftermarket springs just to get it lower. In my opinion I wouldn't recomend cutting any type of springs. Springs are made to take a certain amount of weight. By cutting them your gonna screw the spring up and ur whole suspesnion. Just what I think.

Censee
11-24-2004, 07:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xska55)</div><div class='quotemain'>how much of a professional do you have to be to cut springs, to cut one coil off you just start where the coil ends

and i know what you mean censee but when you drop the car off the Â*jacks the springs are gonna compress alot on the top spring perch and its basically gonna lay flat

im not promoting cutting your aftermaket springs im just saying its not the "taboo" that people play it out to be.</div>

actually ive seen a cut spring when the car wasnt on jacks,,and it was sitting tilted and compressed... maybe it was the way it was cut or put on,,,who knows...