PDA

View Full Version : Wierd sounds after header install

Laguna_Galant
10-26-2004, 12:37 AM
Just finished installing the xi racing headers on my V-6 this past weekend. Everything seems ok except there is a loud squeal after the engine heats up and the car is in gear and moving over 5-10mph. I left my EGR pipe open for now so I think that it could just be the pipe sucking in air. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

-The sound seems to rise in pitch when the trans down shifts.
- No SES light
- fed-spec car
- All 02's in place

This is really annoying. WTF :?

Laguna_Galant
10-26-2004, 09:40 PM
I've checked the spacing where the pipe comes close to the axle and it isn't rubbing. No signs of wear.

I am thinking that it might be coming from the brake pad shims rubbing up against the rotor, b/c it only happens when the car is moving. Just seems strange that this noise started after I installed the headers and the rotors and pads have been replaced for over three months.

Would it be possible that this sound could be coming from an air leak in a weld or gasket on the headers? I torqued all bolts (except maybe 2) to specs.

TWISTED II
10-26-2004, 09:53 PM
do you see any carbon build up yet? remove the header and check the gaskets.

HeadAche
10-26-2004, 11:05 PM
Check the gasket, i had pretty much the same issue when i put a set of headers of my car. Relaized later on that i had a small leak in the gasket and since they didnt seal all the way, it caused air to leak out and sound horrible. Went to the store bought 2 new gaskets re-tightened up the bolts, and never had an issue since.

atx
10-27-2004, 02:10 PM
i know its off topic but i cant seem to get feed back about the xi headers on galant v6s.. Can u tell a difference? How do they run feel extra hp? are u doing any tuning? Any info would be awsome

Laguna_Galant
10-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the input on the gaskets. I will do some checking.

As for performance.....

The headers look good and sound good. I have a fed spec car so I didn't notice any huge gains. But then again, if you don't have FI I don't think a full exhaust makeover is going to give you much of anything anyway. The way I see it, I am setting up the car for FI by allowing it to breathe a little easier.

I don't have any Dyno results. I am just going off of how it feels through acceleration[LIST]

Mante
10-28-2004, 08:20 AM
I was going to offer the same advise but several guys beat me to it. Now thats out of the way, what are your plans along with FI? Brakes, Fuel, ecu... upgrades..?

Laguna_Galant
10-29-2004, 12:09 AM
I am pretty sure the noise was coming from the outer bearing dust cover on the front axle. I think the radiant heat from the exhaust pipe being so close to the axle dried out the cover so I lubed it up and drove it around tonight. The sound seems to have gone away.

Future performance mods...I can't wait for FI, but I want to have the car set up first before that. I am going look into an Apexi AFC II next. Now that my exhaust is full blown I am looking at suspension.

A couple of other thing that have been on my mind are 1) a fuel pressure regulator (rising rate??) and 2) calipers - I haven't seen anything yet, but I've heard somewhere that maybe an EVO VII caliper would work? I don't know, but I DO know I don't want to keep my OEM calipers.

Back on FI, Since I'm in Cali I am shit out of luck b/c of CARB regs, but XI has promised a CARB legal turbo kit within the next 6 months or so. I am hesitant to go turbo b/c I hear alot about breakdown, but Ripp doesn't see CARB Certification anywhere in the near future. :cry: