PDA

View Full Version : what would the ramifications of no muffler be?

Jeremiah
11-08-2004, 09:57 AM
well i bought a bolt-on exhaust and it doesn't fit, i didn't feel like putting the stock one back on after wasting enough time on removing it...and now it sounds loud as balls and i actually like it...but i don't want to not have a pipe in the back...

what would be the down-sides of getting the muffler cut off my stock piping and having 2.25" piping ran to the back and getting a tip put on?

tia

GPTourer
11-08-2004, 11:07 AM
IF you can stand all that racket, then I guess there is no downside. You may lose a little torque down low in exchange for some peak horspower up top, but might not be all that much of a difference. The piping is still the stock size, so I guess it won't be.

You also run the risk of being called a ricer.

My question is, was the exhaust you tried designed for a 3G Eclipse? I had heard they fit, they just had to be lenghthened somewhere, like either between the downpipe and exhaust, or at the B-pipe before the muffler.

TWISTED II
11-08-2004, 11:20 AM
so you want a straight pipe? like, just a pipe going out the back from the headers??

Jeremiah
11-08-2004, 11:20 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GPTourer)</div><div class='quotemain'>IF you can stand all that racket, then I guess there is no downside. You may lose a little torque down low in exchange for some peak horspower up top, but might not be all that much of a difference. The piping is still the stock size, so I guess it won't be.

You also run the risk of being called a ricer.

My question is, was the exhaust you tried designed for a 3G Eclipse? I had heard they fit, they just had to be lenghthened somewhere, like either between the downpipe and exhaust, or at the B-pipe before the muffler.</div>

nah, it was from a member...not sure what the issue was...his was a 4 and mine's a 6...he thought it would bolt up...but it def doesn't...it "fits"...but it doesn't bolt up...

Jeremiah
11-08-2004, 11:21 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TWISTED II)</div><div class='quotemain'>so you want a straight pipe? Â*like, just a pipe going out the back from the headers??</div>

oh, no
hell no lol

just basically get the muffler cut off and have it ran straight through without one

pinoyesv6
11-08-2004, 12:43 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeremiah)</div><div class='quotemain'>what would be the down-sides of getting the muffler cut off my stock piping and having 2.25" piping ran to the back and getting a tip put on?

tia</div>

thats an easy one. the law. many jurisdictions have laws governing how loud your car's exhaust can be. with no muffler you might be hassled by the cops many times...

Jeremiah
11-08-2004, 12:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeremiah)</div><div class='quotemain'>what would be the down-sides of getting the muffler cut off my stock piping and having 2.25" piping ran to the back and getting a tip put on?

tia</div>

thats an easy one. the law. many jurisdictions have laws governing how loud your car's exhaust can be. with no muffler you might be hassled by the cops many times...</div>

yeah, i thought about that...but i drove by at least 10 cops in the past 2 days (which is odd for around here) and none have even looked twice...i'll look up the laws though just to see if there's anything in there