PDA

View Full Version : DEI Thermal Wrap

Fishboy55
10-02-2002, 05:40 PM
Hey folks,

I'm concerned with the heat my headers are putting out and how its affecting my intake air temperature. My headers aren't jet coated. I've been reading about the thermal wrap from DEI. Their site says it won't promote rust on the headers and reduces heat by 45%. All the coating sites say thermal wrap traps water and heat causing your headers to rust and fail sooner. I need the real deal, so where else would I come but here to ask. Anybody currently using it or have used it on their headers, what results did you have, good or bad. I need the facts. Thanks.

Chip

TJC
10-02-2002, 07:43 PM
I think no doubt that it works for insulating heat. I think as far as rust goes, it depends on how well it can cover and resist moisture from getting under the wrap. Secondly, if you keep your car garaged and not in the street or weather is rather dry and don't find dew on your car in the morning, you should be fine. Just my 2 cents.

Mante
10-02-2002, 09:44 PM
I know some guys with it...rule of thumb is wrapped it like you never want to worry about it ever again...Not sayin to overkill it and wrap it twice...but as we always do take alot of time make sure the layers overlap to lock heat in and water and etc out..

Fishboy55
10-02-2002, 09:58 PM
Hey thanks for the help guys. I talked to the people at DEI. They make a silicone coating that's designed to go over the wrap once it's on. It resists moisture and "prevents the exhaust wrap from wicking external moisture". It also withstands 1500 degrees. So I ordered the wrap, the stainless ties and the coating. Woohoo. Another project under the car.

Chip

Kingman
10-02-2002, 10:02 PM
Another Idea is a super high temp coating first.

I have seen 1800^ paint

and

Powdercoating

But the insulation and sealant then the 1800^ paint might look good to.

Good Luck

Lazarus
10-04-2002, 12:36 PM
hey CHip sorry I know i's kinda late but I got an email from my F-body, domestic Car junkie friends about the DEI and they say that they have had their cars wrapped for "years" and they never had any problems. One guy had a problem but he said that he had a hose. Can't remember which one but it kept rubbing against the wrap and it eventually rubbed a hole in it but he says it's easy to fix. everyone gave it thumbs up.

pinoyesv6
10-04-2002, 01:05 PM
how about wrapping the intake pipe? you don't wanna cover up your beutiful rpw headers....i know they don't look like much but you can distinguish a cai from an oem when its wrapped up but not visually with the headers...

Fishboy55
10-04-2002, 08:07 PM
CJ, Thanks for checking. That makes me feel better about buying the kit.

Allan, I don't know about wrapping the intake. We'll have to see how warm the new one gets...if it ever arrives. :roll: The main reason I''m wrapping and coating the headers is so they won't rust out as quickly. When I did the prototype, having them coated wasn't an option. I painted them with 1500 degree paint, but that won't last forever. I'll have to see if I have any wrap left after I complete the headers. Ona another note, my led sidemarkers showed up today, so Brown Santa knows where I live...LOL Gald to see you're feeling better Allan.

Chip

pinoyesv6
10-06-2002, 05:11 PM
CJ, Thanks for checking. That makes me feel better about buying the kit.

Allan, I don't know about wrapping the intake. We'll have to see how warm the new one gets...if it ever arrives. :roll: The main reason I''m wrapping and coating the headers is so they won't rust out as quickly. When I did the prototype, having them coated wasn't an option. I painted them with 1500 degree paint, but that won't last forever. I'll have to see if I have any wrap left after I complete the headers. Ona another note, my led sidemarkers showed up today, so Brown Santa knows where I live...LOL Gald to see you're feeling better Allan.

Chip

wOw ur intake didn't arrive yet...man don't tell me i'll have something to drive by the time ur intake comes in. i might still want it hahahah. but yea wrapping the intake is a good idea, remember how how ur short ram was...well have a few degrees colder air isn't gonna realyl change the temperature of that intake pipe so yea, if u have any left that could be an option.

o yea if they decide to trash my car...i'll find out where it is so we can get to work on it

Fishboy55
10-06-2002, 07:15 PM
No it isn't here, and I'm kinda pissed. I'll be writing the seller an email momentarily. When they total your car, maybe your friend with the salvage yard can buy it from the insurance company. If not, I see some midnight bumper reqisitioning coming. 8) 8) You riding down to the mall with me next weekend? I sure hope so. Take car bro. Talk to you soon.

Chip

pinoyesv6
10-06-2002, 07:34 PM
No it isn't here, and I'm kinda pissed. I'll be writing the seller an email momentarily. When they total your car, maybe your friend with the salvage yard can buy it from the insurance company. If not, I see some midnight bumper reqisitioning coming. 8) 8) You riding down to the mall with me next weekend? I sure hope so. Take car bro. Talk to you soon.

Chip

actually, mante was talking about buying the rear half of the car. cuz yea he wants the rear discs. and well u want the bumper and if imma get another galant well, that chrome trunk garnish, the old tails and the red mitsu emblem will do perfectly. hell, if i get another galant, u can get my new bumper most likely, i want my old 1...there is a 1/4 inch scratch on it when i backed into my basketball court @ home...memories

o yea about the meet. chances are im not gonna go. i wanna go car shopping ASAP and get me a replacement car. or @ least look for some good aftermarket parts and goodies to get my car if they decide to fix her...she's a strong car...yes she is....and yea if she lives, u bet imma spoil her...spoil her like she's never been spoiled b4...she saved my life

BGR
10-07-2002, 08:25 PM
The only bad thing or down side of the thermal wrap is that it looks like shit. If you were to do car shows, I would suggest you don't pop the hood if you're using this stuff.

Fishboy55
10-08-2002, 04:57 AM
The only bad thing or down side of the thermal wrap is that it looks like shit. If you were to do car shows, I would suggest you don't pop the hood if you're using this stuff.

Thanks Rich. I don't do car shows. I'm all about go, not about show. And If the stuff is done right and then gets the silicone on it, it doesn't look that bad. It's no Jet-Hot, but it's effective at doing what it's supposed to.

Chip