PDA

View Full Version : Will upgrading calipers solve my rotors warping problem?

DQ
11-19-2004, 01:19 AM
I have a 99 I-4 with slightly less than 60K and already on my 2nd set of aftermarket rotors. I got in on the DBA group buy and then Brembos with RaceConcept. My brembos are starting to warp and I can feel pulsations when I brake sometimes. Another interesting thing I noticed is the rotors squeaks REAL loud and pedal pulsates when I am making a turn on a steep San Francisco hill. And ofcourse, it pulsates REAL bad when I am driving down steep hill (on first gear ofcourse).

I like my car and would like to keep it for many more years if I can only fix this warping rotor problem. I am thinking about upgrading to bigger brakes (preferably under $1K since the car is only worth like $5K).

My question is, do you think upgrading the calipers will solve my problem or could the problem be something else?

I know there have been many posts about warping rotors but most members seem to solve their problems after installing aftermarket rotors.

peanotation
11-19-2004, 01:49 AM
i don't think the calipers will help, if anything, they'll make it worse, since they bite down harder. try a different brand of rotors, like Stoptech. i know it doesn't exactly solve your problem, because it could still happen again, but it's worth a shot if all other options are exhausted. galants are known for their bad brakes and auto trannies though.

pinoyesv6
11-19-2004, 09:46 AM
with the stock sized rotors, like peano said, would only make things worse.

if you got larger rotors you could get some larger calipers to go along with it if you like. especially since many kits require that you do.

what kinda pads are you using?? this might be the source of your problems. also, what kinda driving do you do? generally these "high peformance" pads run hotter than like the oem pads. as a result your rotors get hotter and you're more likely to warp them. depending on the type of driving you do, you might not need the "high peformance pads"

DQ
11-19-2004, 10:58 AM
what kinda pads are you using?? this might be the source of your problems. also, what kinda driving do you do? generally these "high peformance" pads run hotter than like the oem pads. as a result your rotors get hotter and you're more likely to warp them. depending on the type of driving you do, you might not need the "high peformance pads"

I have the Axxis Metal Master pads.. I do half freeway and half local and have to ascend and descend some steep hills occasionally maybe twice a week. But most of the time, the road we travel is pretty flat.

Dominicano
11-19-2004, 01:05 PM
do you torque your rims on when you mount them? they should never be more then 81 lbs of tourque, thats what mostly warps rotors when they are put on to tight.

DQ
11-19-2004, 01:16 PM
do you torque your rims on when you mount them? they should never be more then 81 lbs of tourque, thats what mostly warps rotors when they are put on to tight.

Yeah, actually I torqued the wheels to 80ft/lbs and when we installed the pads and rotors we follow the torque spec specified in the shop manual.

pinoyesv6
11-19-2004, 01:22 PM
how are your drum brakes doing?? i know they only do a fraction of the braking but if they are worn or aren't doing their job, you're putting extra stress on the front brakes...

DQ
11-19-2004, 01:26 PM
how are your drum brakes doing?? i know they only do a fraction of the braking but if they are worn or aren't doing their job, you're putting extra stress on the front brakes...

Good point! I've not replaced them yet. At 30K, the dealers said the drums were in good shape.