PDA

View Full Version : 5spd swapping on tuesday, any last second advice?

peanotation
11-22-2004, 01:52 AM
i'm pretty confident in the whole thing, but i just wanted to know if any of you who have done it have any last tips or advice before i perform surgery on my baby. tuesday's the day! thanks

11-22-2004, 12:03 PM
Use Loctite on the important shit.
Use a good torque wrench, not one of those shitty dial indicator ones from autozone.
Don't fuck up.

8G_GTZ
11-22-2004, 12:05 PM
not really advise, but good luck matt.....take plenty of pics for idiots like me that want to do it in the future. again..good luck man. :wink:

steve

bronxbombr
11-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Ya good luck man.

Darkkend
11-22-2004, 12:29 PM
do plenty of squats and other leg exercise so your left leg can get ready to step on that clutch https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Good luck, I'll be expecting a tuturial. I might want to go 5 speed next year.

ChikagoGTZ
11-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Pray.

BlankMan
11-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Don't fuck up.

Beat me to that bit of advice.

take plenty of pics for idiots like me that want to do it in the future.

Puh-leeeeeze! For us idiots who like to look at pictures before attempting it ourselves.... Out of all the swaps that have been reported, I haven't seen 1 pic...

J

peanotation
11-22-2004, 01:08 PM
yah, i'm going to take hundreds of pictures and write up everything into a tutorial. half the reason i bought a nice digital camera last month was for the swap actually.

o1naturalhigh
11-22-2004, 01:13 PM
hey peanotation....good luck

BlankMan
11-22-2004, 01:50 PM
yah, i'm going to take hundreds of pictures...

You can email them to me on my new 1GB account at [email protected] :wink:

J

seth98esT
11-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Hah make sure you fill the tranny with fluid once your all done. Hate to see you finish up and take it for a drive and forget the fluid lol

O yah, and make sure that you break in the clutch properly. No launches, High rpm drives, for 500-1000 miles.

peanotation
11-22-2004, 02:38 PM
yah, i'm going to take hundreds of pictures...

You can email them to me on my new 1GB account at [email protected] :wink:

J

i was gonna throw up the ones for the tutorial on my website, but i can email you every single pic i take 8)

Mindless
11-23-2004, 07:44 AM
Good luck dude. Can't wait to see the finished product.

MidNightRacing
11-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Get youself a good torch, not a shitty propain one, cuz your going to have to fight that spacer.

I might want to go 5 speed next year.

If you do it and you want some help let me know.

peanotation
11-23-2004, 09:18 PM
<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>IT HAS BEGUN</span>

Faction
11-23-2004, 10:06 PM
good luck matt

brandon
11-24-2004, 07:16 AM
How'd it go?

peanotation
11-24-2004, 12:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>How'd it go?</div>

how'd it go????? the tranny is still in my fucking car. i had a HORRIBLE start. i expect to get the tranny out within an hour this morning though.

JiP
11-24-2004, 02:24 PM
You cant just say you had a horrible start and leave us hangin like that...what was so horrible??

ChikagoGTZ
11-24-2004, 02:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>You cant just say you had a horrible start and leave us hangin like that...what was so horrible??</div>

Goblins jumped out of the tranny, ate his left arm, and now are wrecking havoc on the world...damn space time continuum trannies...

Mindless
11-24-2004, 03:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChikagoGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>You cant just say you had a horrible start and leave us hangin like that...what was so horrible??</div>

Goblins jumped out of the tranny, ate his left arm, and now are wrecking havoc on the world...damn space time continuum trannies...</div>

lmao

peanotation
11-24-2004, 03:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>You cant just say you had a horrible start and leave us hangin like that...what was so horrible??</div>

ok, to make a long (4 hour) story short, the axles....were a nightmare. if i had a lift, it would have taken an hour at most. the lower control arms had to be unbolted from the sub chasis, and to seperate the ball joints at the end of the tie rods require me and my buddy kicking the ball joint seperator, hammering the shit out of it, and thrashing the boot to shreds.

i read over 10 5spd swap tutorials, and they all simply stated "just slide the ball joint seperator in there, hammer it a few times, and wallah! it'll pop right out"

they can all eat shit

right now the tranny is about 1-1.5" seperated from the block, but i can't get the fucking thing to come out, cause the enormous flywheel cover is still holding it up. this has not been easy.

MidNightRacing
11-24-2004, 05:30 PM
Did you take off the torque converter to flex plate bolts? also take off the top mout and rear mount bracket for it to come out easy. You might want to get under the car and twist the tranny up while pushing down to clear the chassie

peanotation
11-24-2004, 05:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidNightRacing)</div><div class='quotemain'>Did you take off the torque converter to flex plate bolts? also take off the top mout and rear mount bracket for it to come out easy. You might want to get under the car and twist the tranny up while pushing down to clear the chassie</div>

how am i supposed to take that off, if it's inside the bell housing? i can't get the tranny OFF the car, which means i can't get to anything inside.

MidNightRacing
11-24-2004, 06:24 PM
you dont have to get inside the tranny when u satart you should take off the loewr tranny cover (by oil pan) and you'll see like 3 or 4 bolts holding the t.c to the flex plate. sort of the the pressure plate to flywheel except its facing the motor instead of the tranny. Most of the time people always forget to take that off so thats why im saying that cuz if you didnt you wont be able to drop the tranny.

JiP
11-25-2004, 07:26 PM
I didnt know the torque converter bolted down to the flywheel.

bronxbombr
11-25-2004, 07:43 PM
Damn, that is the funniest shit i had heard in awhile, but i can relate cuz i was once a newbie also. Reading your steps i can say that the tranny is drained and all the wiring is off and now you are down to the flywheel.

One trick i learned when dealing with it is to make sure you have a good prybar or in my case i used a nice screwdriver. get under the car, you will see the flywheel with the cover removed the torque converter will be in plain view. If i remember right you have to losen the bolts on the flywheel.

A regular wrench will not work, nor will a torque socket or rachet unless you have a breaker small enuff to pull it, but even with the shortest one i had i found it was a great task to attain. Last i tried the socket bit and the air gun, came right off, use the prybar to rotate the TC to the next bolt and follow till all are off. Then use prybar to jiggle the tranny apart from the engine. Make sure all of your mounts holding the tranny are off and do becareful not to thomp it on the floor. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

1hr tops. Many other steps but i skipped em since you already at the last step anyway.