PDA

View Full Version : 4g63t auto swap questions!

evil-G-nius
11-25-2004, 11:05 PM
Ok So I have been gone a while. But heres the thing, I think I want to swap my engine to a 63t. Why auto you ask? Well it is to my understanding that under shifting the auto would be a lot more linear in the delivery of power and boost. Less time off of the gas (none) and thus full spool on the turbo while driving. Now here go the questions....

1. Could I get a 95-99 eclipse turbo engine and tranny and bolt em up with no big issues. If not what year?

2. In order to save money, would I be able to just get thhe engine and bolt it to the 64 tranny, and just upgrade the axles?

3. I know that I would need a GST ecu, but would I need to swap the ecu for the tranny as well? (I think so but not sure)

4. Would I need to get a custom down pipe or would the one already on the car (64) suffice? I know the piping on the stock eclipse has got to be bigger than ours...should I just use that?

Some of these questions may have been answered somewhere I am not sure, but any help would be greatful!

seth98esT
11-25-2004, 11:42 PM
Ok ok ok. So heres my "readings" on auto tranny rebuilds, and lord knows if you want any power with a galant auto you need a rebuild. AMS recently put togehter a high 10 second AWD automatic beater car. Yes beater car, rusty, full of corny stickers like Skoal and ZigZag haha, also had a large wing and stock suspension https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif. But they sent their transmission to Perfect Transmission to get it rebuilt(guessing its a local Chicago area shop), but you will need a quality rebuild NOT FROM LEVEL 10! Sheppard racing or BM trannies are also good.

1) Eh with any '63t swap you still have to do the same mods to the engine mount and wiring. Why use a 2g 7bolt motor, grab a 90/91/early 92 6bolt. Yes you can use a 2g auto tranny, but they are only good for around 300whp from what I read on DSMTuners. If you use a 2g tranny, you need GST axles.

2) Yes you could, but axles wouldnt be the first thing to go. Your tranny will go before the axles.

3) Either a 2g GST or GSX ECU will work. Only difference is the GSX ECU doesnt have a speed limiter :twisted: Again if you swap with a 2g auto tranny, you will need a 2g auto tranny ecu. Our tranny ecus and engine ecus are seperate, so you can upgrade to a 2g engine ecu and keep the galant trans ecu if you keep the galant auto trans. 8g their trans/engine ecu is the same, sucks for them!

4) 2g GST downpipe fits great, no modding. Aftermarket or stock, no point in going stock, so aftermarket it is :wink:

Hodgson316
11-26-2004, 11:31 PM
:shock: good info

peanotation
11-26-2004, 11:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>NOT FROM LEVEL 10! Â*Sheppard racing or BM trannies are also good.</div>

level 10 is complete shit. shep racing :thumbsup:

evil-G-nius
11-27-2004, 02:44 AM
why thank you very much! That is quite helpful. Ok so I can use the 1G engine and just upgrade my galant trans...cool. Now the only thing is finding a 1g turbo engine in good enough condition to even bother with! That I am sure will be easier said than done

SamirDarji
12-15-2004, 02:25 PM
I talked to Richard at www.powerdemon.com and seemed like he also knows how to build a good tranny.

8G_GTZ
12-15-2004, 06:30 PM
hahaha.....at my work(i just work on cars not shiping), we did a GReddy twin turbo kit on a 350 and we sent the tranny to Level 10. it has nothing on the outside, it's red, looks exactly like stock exhaust, but magnaflow, and FMIC.

anyways, what seth has stated was exactly what i've read of DSM

steve

know_fun
12-17-2004, 08:21 PM
im trying to do this swap to hopefully soon
ok im pretty sure i can find an engine after doin a lot of searching :yawn: my only problem is findin that a 2g tranny axles and ecu. can some1 point the direction other than dsmtraders or askin the eclipse ppl.

also can ne1 give me a guestamite on how much would it cost to get the engine & autotranny swap?

seth98esT
12-17-2004, 08:45 PM
eh cant really give a guesstimate. depending on parts, could cost $2-5k...

You can get new eclipse gst axles from www. raxles.com(kinda expensive, but good products) You can send em your auto axles as cores as well.