PDA

View Full Version : new tranny in and done, got some problems.

peanotation
11-28-2004, 12:54 AM
put in the manual starter tonight, car started up, worked out some immediate problems, but i still have some issues.

when i start the car, it starts normal, but after the engine kicks on, there's this crazy mid-pitched squeel coming from the engine bay. after it squeels for maybe half a second, all is good. any ideas as to wtf that is?

i fucked up my right tie rod's boot really bad during the violent periods i had a hammer and i had to get the ball joints apart, and now there's some noise coming from that wheel. i really don't give a shit about the noise, but is it that bad for the rack and pinion?

big problem: speedometer doesn't work. wtf. something wierd about being on the highway and seeing 0mph. i double checked the speed sensor plug, but it looks fine. any ideas?

as for the rest, it's insanely aweseome. the clutch is so vividly strong, and going through this break-in period without launching or heavy throttle or high rpms is going to be purgatory.

btw, anyone know what kinda shift boot fits? i bought one for a 2G and there's no way it's going to fit.

edit: forgot to mention, while the car is starting and the engine is turning over, it sounds really sick. sounds like a weak battery, but it's not. then when it starts and the squeel is produced momentarily, all is good in the beast.

95mitsu03
11-28-2004, 10:43 AM
did you swith out the auto ecu with a 5 speed ecu? could that be your problem?

JiP
11-28-2004, 12:10 PM
The ecu's have nothing to do with the guages.. the gauge cluster pulls the signals directly from the sensors. I assume the 5spd speed sensor is different from the stock Galant's Auto spd sensor so, the gauge may need to be swapped out with one from a 2g m/t

Just like the Tach, when you do the ecu swap and you junk the distributer to put coil packs in, the Tach will no longer work with the DIS tach output, you have to install either MSD Tach adapter or get the Tach adapter from a 89/90 eclipse (much cheeper =P)

peanotation
11-28-2004, 02:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'> I assume the 5spd speed sensor is different from the stock Galant's Auto spd sensor so, the gauge may need to be swapped out with one from a 2g m/t</div>

well, the tranny i bought came with a speed sensor on it, and they look identical, but i swapped them out anyways. i cut the auto speed sensor off and wired up the 5spd speed sensor, and screwed it into the tranny. i also replaced my gauge cluster with one from a 95 manual tranny galant.

JiP
11-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Wait what are you using right now, a cluster from a 5spd and your galant spd sensor? Try swapping to to the eclipse speed sensor so you have matching parts. Are you sure the guage cluster pinouts are the same between the 5spd eclipse and the galant?? Why the did you swap gauge clusters anyway?

peanotation
11-29-2004, 05:49 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>Wait what are you using right now, a cluster from a 5spd and your galant spd sensor? Â*Try swapping to to the eclipse speed sensor so you have matching parts. Â*Are you sure the guage cluster pinouts are the same between the 5spd eclipse and the galant?? Â*Why the did you swap gauge clusters anyway?</div>

no no, the tranny that's in there now is from a 95 galant, all galant parts accross the board. i have a galant 5spd gauge cluster and i'm using the speed sensor plug for the "new" manual tranny. they looked the exact same (auto vs. 5spd one) but i switched them anyways.

peanotation
12-12-2004, 03:12 AM
ok, got these problems fixed. i returned my old shitty autozone starter for cash and got one at NAPA. threw it in and it starts like a lexus now.

to try to fix the speed sensor, i took the manual transmission one off, and wired up the automatic one. in disconecting in the manual one, i noticed one of the wires had gotten completely severed, thus preventing the sensor from working. i switched back to the automatic one anyway because it had more wire to work with, firmly wired it up, taped it real good, plugged it in, and it works perfectly now. all problems fixed

underated
12-12-2004, 11:59 AM
congrats man how long before you can get on the gas and put that beast to work?

peanotation
12-12-2004, 12:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(underated)</div><div class='quotemain'>congrats man how long before you can get on the gas and put that beast to work?</div>

been doin it since tuesday. it's pure bliss.

Moosh
12-13-2004, 11:19 PM
Thats awesome dude. You did this all on your own? I am utterly impressed. What kind of clutch are you using? Flywheel? How much did this run you?

peanotation
12-14-2004, 10:43 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moosh)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thats awesome dude. You did this all on your own? I am utterly impressed. What kind of clutch are you using? Flywheel? How much did this run you?</div>

act 2100 clutch with act street lite flywheel and pressure plate. cost me just about $1500 in the end for everything.