PDA

View Full Version : Anothr Reason why u shud change ur timing belt *update pik*

pinoyesv6
11-29-2004, 04:03 PM
The Subject: 2k ESV6
Mileage: 59882

So i drop my car off at the shop bright an early friday morning. Took it to my local mechanic to change the timing belt and the water pump. It supposed to take about a day to do. So thats what they said.

I called later in the day and they say they took things apart but they are waiting on parts.

I call on saturday. Same thing. They say they are waiting on parts but they want me to come in and look at something. So i drive over and my car is sitting there in one of their bays. so the mechanic shows me what he did so far and points at the timing gear. Tell me why i am missing half of my timing gear.

http://img13.imgspot.com/u/04/336/13/gear.jpg

To make things worse he says that the belt jumped a few teeth. We're hoping there no real internal damage but we're waiting for a new timing gear to come in from the dealer.

So i go in today. and im hoping my car is done. you know sitting outside waiting for me to pick up. i mean come one, parts don't take that long to come to the dealer. to top things off the closest dealer in my area feeds all the other dealer in the region parts. so yea, i got the biggest parts warehouse in the region in my backyard. but yea, my car is still sitting in the bay. untouched. sucks ass. talked to the owner and well, the parts aren't coming in til the end of the week. im guessing its coming in from like normal or something like that.

Sucks ass. for me and for the shop. I don't have my car and well, the shop can't move my car cuz its too much of a hassle to put it back together.

but yea, moral of the story. if i have waited til that 100k like it says in the warranty/service book. well, lets just say this. i wouldn't have made it to 100k. so yea, hopefully i saved a few grand by changing the belt early b4 it became a big problem.

i'll post piks of the gear later this week.

Dominicano
11-29-2004, 04:09 PM
wow, lucky you man how the hell did that happen that some crazy shit! was it under warranty i mean it shouldnt have broken off like that right.

I also had a mechanic look at my "drive belt" and he said it had a little crack, i need to take it to the dealer to get it changed.

burthold
My manual says 60,000 miles and they mean it. My belt had zero left in it and was ready to jump a tooth or two the pullies were fine though.

Wes

Marky
Holy Shit that sucks ass that reminds me to check mines.

bglocc
11-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Shit, mine just hit 72,000 and I haven't changed it yet. I guess I should focus on getting it to the shop instead of focusing on wheels.

pinoyesv6
11-29-2004, 04:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dominicano)</div><div class='quotemain'>wow, lucky you man how the hell did that happen that some crazy shit! Â*was it under warranty i mean it shouldnt have broken off like that right.
</div>

iim guessing when i hit that avalon head on back in 02, i broke the timing gear and the shop didn't even bother to check it. neither did I since the cover looked untouched.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burthold)</div><div class='quotemain'>My manual says 60,000 miles and they mean it. Â*</div>

my manual says 60k for the feds, 100k for the cali spec cars, but they recommend that you do it at 60k.

luxcrusr2000
11-29-2004, 04:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burthold)</div><div class='quotemain'>My manual says 60,000 miles and they mean it. My belt had zero left in it and was ready to jump a tooth or two the pullies were fine though. Â*

Wes</div>

I changed mine at 64000 and it was stretched like crazy. :shock:

Grenbogys
11-29-2004, 05:02 PM
take a picture of it after it's taken off! I hella wanna see it

BIGMONEYDAY
11-29-2004, 06:16 PM
I guess you city driving guys have more wear on you belts from the constant "short" trips in you car or something. I put about 3000 miles a month, highway driving back and forth to work and I did change the timing belt on my '99 V6 until about 150K miles, but even then everything looked fine at the time, but it still took them 3 days to do it, due to 1) Having to wait on parts and 2) Not know what the Hell what they were doing, even after I asked them if they had worked on one before!! (It was a chain shop called Tire Kingdom, but next time I will most definately take it to the dealer at least for that.

Serstylz2
11-30-2004, 12:14 AM
shitshitshit def jus hit 75,000 miles w. no change yet.. and its parked for the winter :oops:

how much does that timing belt stuff go for?

FrankMB
11-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check these while the car is apart.

Serstylz2
11-30-2004, 09:20 AM
anyone got an estimate of how much it costs to get replaced?

pinoyesv6
11-30-2004, 09:43 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Serstylz2)</div><div class='quotemain'>anyone got an estimate of how much it costs to get replaced?</div>

it depends where you go. i've heard quotes starting from 200 bucks all the way to 500 bucks.

my job im looking at a lil more than 500 bucks. still not sure yet. but yea mine's expensive cuz i also got the water pump done and all the extra parts that im needing to get installed like the new timing gear.

seth98esT
11-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Wow man, consider yourself EXTREMELY luckey that the belt didnt jump. With a gear like that, I would think it would last one start up, let alone a year???? How in the world did that gear get that damaged. Another reason to run your car with the timing gear cover off. So you can inspect the belt and timing gears easily. I took my belt off at 70k on my g and it was fine. Ive had the car since 40k and had never changed the belt, so Im guessing it was original. I think it just depends on the car how fast it will wear, but it is an excellent idear to change it every 50-60k. Better to spend $200-300 on timing belt and tensioners then to spend $600 on two new heads, maybe new pisons if the valves made happy faces on the tops of the pistons, and $200-300 on timing belt and tensionors. Another reaons I do not own a v6, double everything. 2 heads, 6 pistons, 6 rods, more then 2 tensionors. I feel sorry for those quad cam v6 guys haha

pinoyesv6
12-01-2004, 08:30 PM
oh man. i got the car back today. well my mom picked it up for me since i was bz wit the gurls.

but yea. cost me 900 bucks all together.

450 for parts
450 for labor

got new timing belt, water pump, cam gears, timing belt cover and a few other miscellaneous things. the timing belt cover and cam gears are things most of you guys won't need to change but yea, my car's special

Sowndwayv
12-02-2004, 11:52 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>my mom picked it up for me since i was bz wit the gurls. Â*
</div>

oh yeah..that sounds impressive :-X

shortdogg2k05
12-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Gook lookin out. I will keep that in mind as I approach 60K. Right now I am approaching 30K. Is there anything I need to make sure I do, or get done?

pinoyesv6
12-02-2004, 07:29 PM
my mom picked it up for me since i was bz wit the gurls.

oh yeah..that sounds impressive :-X

don't really have to impress anyone here. i was out with the gurls. they were showering me with presents. they're the only ones i've been impressing...

Gook lookin out. I will keep that in mind as I approach 60K. Right now I am approaching 30K. Is there anything I need to make sure I do, or get done?

not special. just do the stuff thats in the warranty book that came with the car.

Stylin_G
12-02-2004, 07:51 PM
hey man your lucky, it's been changed.. I remember in one of my auto classes I was changing a timing belt for one of the chicks in the class, on a 93 Accord and noticed that the timing gear had no teeth and her timing belt was badly damaged that when we took it out all it took was one slight bend on it and it snapped. She told us it hadn't been changed since she bought it new..

So yeah guys... it's better to change the belt a couple thousand before the suggested milage

keithert
12-02-2004, 10:27 PM
hey man your lucky, it's been changed.. I remember in one of my auto classes I was changing a timing belt for one of the chicks in the class, on a 93 Accord and noticed that the timing gear had no teeth and her timing belt was badly damaged that when we took it out all it took was one slight bend on it and it snapped. She told us it hadn't been changed since she bought it new..

So yeah guys... it's better to change the belt a couple thousand before the suggested milage

If it fails before the suggested mileage wouldn't the warranty take care of it?

pinoyesv6
12-02-2004, 10:29 PM

If it fails before the suggested mileage wouldn't the warranty take care of it?

if you are under the powertrain warranty chances are its covered. unless they find some excuse as to why it would have failed like maybe u racing or something like that.

but still, having it fail is a big disconvienience for you to. even if it is under warranty cuz ur gonna end up broken down on the side of the road. gotta get a tow truck, get a rental blah blah blah.

Stylin_G
12-02-2004, 11:17 PM
keith: yes chances are it should be covered... but like Pinoyes said even if you are under warranty and it goes on you your gonna be shit outta luck w/o a car.. What I'm saying is it's wise to change it before the suggested milage stated in the manual at least a good ol' couple thousand miles, cuz it could be good one day and blow on you the next.. and you can be w/o the car for a day instead of going through what Pinoyes did.. because changing the belts not hard to do.. it's just tedious and a pain in the ass to get too(depending on what car it is), thats why they charge a shit load... for labor..

pinoyesv6
12-02-2004, 11:21 PM
my belt didn't break.

when the shop took off the cover they found out that the belt was on its way out the door though.

my timing gear was the big suprise though. since its all broke its been chewing up on the belt.

so if i waited longer i would have maybe messed things up worse...

Stylin_G
12-02-2004, 11:29 PM
I didn't say it broke.. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I was saying that if not changed early enough they'll end up without their cars for as long as you had to wait close to a week or so.. and in their case they could be with a snapped belt, and not so lucky as you..... sorry I didn't make myself clear.. 8)