PDA

View Full Version : Motor swap for V6 guys

Mante
12-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Ok alot of you all have seen this on ebayhttp://i21.ebayimg.com/03/i/02/44/87/05_1.JPG Yes its the 6g72 but with the addition of the Dohc Mivec ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7937165194&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT') heads. Rougly 250 to 280 hp naturally, someone here has to step up to the plate....Matt, Cali, headache...somebody please!!

FrankMB
12-01-2004, 08:41 PM
I might be up for it once my car is done. Although I would need a lot of guidance on what is needed, parts wise. Mechanically is not a problem.

SilverDragonGTZ
12-01-2004, 09:23 PM
why did i have to buy xmas already :cry: and why does my visa not have enough on it :cry: :cry:

250 n/a....mmmm turbo....faster....

bglocc
12-01-2004, 09:27 PM
Is it a direct drop in? It would be a very interesting swap, too bad I'm broke until the end of the month :cry:

VegasMatt
12-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Yeah would this drop in does anyone know. i have a few grand to spare.

Cali
12-01-2004, 11:00 PM
i had seen that about a month ago and i've tried to do some research on it....emailed the guy but never heard back...it seems to be a direct bolt in as the mounts seem to be all the same however i tried to get more pics of it but to no avail.

mante, any other info on it? now's the time for me to know before i go any further with my current plans....

Cali
12-01-2004, 11:05 PM
hmm no ecu...i guess i would have to run a stand alone...fuck, and i just bought the greddy with all options.... :?

any help?

Mante
12-02-2004, 07:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cali)</div><div class='quotemain'>hmm no ecu...i guess i would have to run a stand alone...fuck, and i just bought the greddy with all options.... :? Â*

any help?</div>

I wouldnt think you would need a standalone..well maybe there is away to tell the ecu its dohc vs the single. Now I do know that all you need to control the mivec is any old vtec controller. There was a member here that still has this motor in Florida but once he traded in the galant for an evo he's been trying to get 3500 for it ever since. I sent me several pics way back when I'll try to find them when I get home...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>VegasMatt Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:34 pm Â* Â*Post subject: Â*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Â*
Yeah would this drop in does anyone know. i have a few grand to spare. Â*
</div>
From what I've seen (photos only) it should drop right in, then again having the mounts may be an inch or two off. Small measurements like that should be easy, at least thats what my guy told me.

We planned on getting that motor, replacing hte internals from the 3kgt( forged internals around 8.5 compression) with that block a modest setup of the twin 15's would be no problem. The rear clearance may be a problem but having a manifold made to accomadate that shouldnt be a problem. Up front replacing the stock radiator fans with the Spal low profile would be recommended.

So 3.0L (matches displacement of most sports cars)
-Mivec will aid in spooling whatever turbo setup, have the mivec stop when boost kicks in. Like vtec its none to burn oil if that single cam is engaged at high rpm for extended periods.

-Finally Boost is there to finish whatever..

JGMaverick
02-26-2005, 03:39 AM
What about the MIVEC engine RPW has to offer.. I saw it on there site for about 5K Australian currency which is about 3500 american.. Has anyone heard of it? Would it be any more different to install than the ebay one?

ryans99es2.4
02-26-2005, 04:21 AM
that engine should even drop into cars with the i4, but some engine mounts would have to be reconfigured.

Censee
02-26-2005, 11:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mante)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cali)</div><div class='quotemain'>hmm no ecu...i guess i would have to run a stand alone...fuck, and i just bought the greddy with all options.... :? Â*

any help?</div>

I wouldnt think you would need a standalone..well maybe there is away to tell the ecu its dohc vs the single. Now I do know that all you need to control the mivec is any old vtec controller. There was a member here that still has this motor in Florida but once he traded in the galant for an evo he's been trying to get 3500 for it ever since. I sent me several pics way back when I'll try to find them when I get home...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>VegasMatt Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:34 pm Â* Â*Post subject: Â*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Â*
Yeah would this drop in does anyone know. i have a few grand to spare. Â*
</div>
From what I've seen (photos only) it should drop right in, then again having the mounts may be an inch or two off. Small measurements like that should be easy, at least thats what my guy told me.

We planned on getting that motor, replacing hte internals from the 3kgt( forged internals around 8.5 compression) with that block a modest setup of the twin 15's would be no problem. The rear clearance may be a problem but having a manifold made to accomadate that shouldnt be a problem. Up front replacing the stock radiator fans with the Spal low profile would be recommended.

So 3.0L (matches displacement of most sports cars)
-Mivec will aid in spooling whatever turbo setup, have the mivec stop when boost kicks in. Like vtec its none to burn oil if that single cam is engaged at high rpm for extended periods.

-Finally Boost is there to finish whatever..</div>

wasnt that member desigmanfx with this motor,,i heard he still has it....

Fall Out Boy
02-26-2005, 02:14 PM
wow, a 6g72 that would be worth doing a swap with.......but my question is what would be a better choice..this or the Evo swap? if you were going to spend the time and money which would be more beneficial?

Censee
02-26-2005, 02:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fall Out Boy)</div><div class='quotemain'>wow, a 6g72 that would be worth doing a swap with.......but my question is what would be a better choice..this or the Evo swap? Â*if you were going to spend the time and money which would be more beneficial?</div>

i think the evo motor has more aftermarket support...and i would choose the evo over this in a heartbeat....but 260-280 NA hp is just amazing

Jet Black
02-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Holy Shit! That is HOT!

Mante
02-26-2005, 09:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Censee)</div><div class='quotemain'>

wasnt that member desigmanfx Â*with this motor,,i heard he still has it....</div>

Ahh yea thats him...good memory. And he's still on my friends list

Yea I would also do the evo swap even over the 6a13tt swap just for the aftermarket support. For a cheap thrill just get the mivec heads..at least thats what I would do if I have a v6 galant. Also that 260 hp is the complete answer to the 2nd gen CL/TL type S's engine.... Swapping heads and gasket matching has got to be much cheaper/easier then doing a motor swap...Hell I still want to put mivec heads in the vr4

Blu_MaTiC
02-26-2005, 11:25 PM
hey guyz i gotta question wat other motors/tranny would be a direct drop in for a 8g

Censee
02-27-2005, 01:02 AM
wonder whats the compression on that motor

gtx
02-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Swapping heads and gasket matching has got to be much cheaper/easier then doing a motor swap...Hell I still want to put mivec heads in the vr4

Don't shoot a noob for asking this, but what would I benefit by swapping just the heads? What would that cost? Just shoot up an estimation pls. Thanks!

Mante
02-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Im not sure what the compression is but the mivec setup is the same concept as honda's vtec