PDA

View Full Version : APC air breathers

99GalantOn18s
10-03-2002, 08:19 AM
wussup ya'll? today i was ridin by a discount auto and i was like "hmm lemme go look around in there and give my baby 'Misha' a present since shes been so good to me"... and i saw 2 red APC breather filters... so i went and bought them... i disconnected the lil red hose off my injen intake and slapped one of these babies on the intake, and the other on the head, well maybe its just in my head but my car: its a 99 4banger, actually felt like it had better throttle response in the lower rpm, maybe i'm wrong and it did help some... if anyone else installed some on their g-ride tell me if u felt any difference or if i'm just coo coo

99DE
10-03-2002, 01:22 PM
I saw that on a website, and I thought about it. I will try it too, not to expensive. Anyone know a online site?

HeadAche
10-03-2002, 03:08 PM
I actually had 2 of those things on my car, didnt notice any power difference really i just got it because it matched the hoses.. Supposidly its supposed to lower oil temp, but who knows..

TJC
10-03-2002, 05:29 PM
Yeah, no real noticable performance gains but it does keep your intake and TB a lot cleaner. You have no idea how much crap comes out of those little hoses and gets recycled into your engine. Only downside is letting the nasty blowby from your engine out into the air... obviously this means you should always put back the hoses when doing smog checks or you will not pass visual. BTW, these gases are explosive so make sure you don't smoke or do that sparkplug/cable test while your engine in running, lol.
:explode:

99GalantOn18s
10-03-2002, 11:56 PM
whoa thats pretty damn scary, thanks for lettin us know... we mighta blown up if it wasnt for u

TJC
10-04-2002, 02:19 AM
whoa thats pretty damn scary, thanks for lettin us know... we mighta blown up if it wasnt for u

Hahaha. Sounds sarcastic, lol. Anyway, blow-by gas can consist of unburned fuel so yeah, it's possible. Just like a leaky battery can too. Better safe than sorry.

Galant01
10-04-2002, 07:51 AM
How do u get the black nipple thing off of the head? Do u unscrew it or something?

Galant01
10-04-2002, 07:53 AM
Also how did u get it on to your intake?

Lazarus
10-04-2002, 01:18 PM
anyone with pics of this mod?

pinoyesv6
10-04-2002, 01:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galant01)</div><div class='quotemain'>Also how did u get it on to your intake?</div>

well actually you don't want it on the intake pipe. you want to plug that nipple off. it can cause incorrect readings by the MAS. by having the filter there not only do u have a place for air to leak out after its been detected by the MAS but air can get in undetected by the MAS

TJC
10-04-2002, 08:45 PM
How do u get the black nipple thing off of the head? Do u unscrew it or something?

If you are talking about the valve cover, that is the PCV (positive crankcase valve) and you don't want to remove that. Just put the breather filter right on the other end of the PCV. BTW, if you want to remove it, just twist back and forth while pulling... it's just friction fitted.

Also how did u get it on to your intake?

Do not put a breather on your intake hose or the intake manifold. That would just cause a leak like Pinoy says and can cause rough idling and possibly leaning out the engine too much. Just cap them off with some rubber valve plugs you can get at the autoparts store. Just get the right size.

Big H Killa
10-21-2002, 09:53 AM
I just put a breather on the Intake pipe and on the head where the right angled piece of metal comes out. I had also tried running it with the head thingy plugged up but the pressure builds up to much and the fitting near the oil cap can release it quick enough so it makes a whisteling sound. so then i tried it with the intake plugged and with breathers on both. I found with breathers on both it works great. I do have more lower end response it's a great mod I think and I do reccommend it. I'll take pic's later tonight and post them.

99DE
10-21-2002, 11:22 AM
Hey Big H, did you also do the backing out the MAS screw? I just got done with that mod and now want to move into this Breather mod. I'm thinking of not putting one on the Injen like Pinoy said, it does kinda make sense that just capping will be sufficient. Also, what size breathers did you get? I notice there are different sizes of the hoses.

Big H Killa
10-21-2002, 11:51 AM
Well all the Apc Breathers are the same size it all just depends on how much you have to tighten the clamp. Next Capping the intake pipe works fine to. I just like the idea of putting the filter there not only for looks but also it helps bring in more air the mas can't detect which personally I like that idea b/c it will help with the denser air and my car runs lean right now so the extra air will help even it out some.

Tiptronic
10-21-2002, 09:13 PM
man does anyone have pictures. all this talk of breathers on pipes; not on pipes, explosive gases, leaking air. i understand all that, but if i could only picture in my head where these locations are that you guys are talking about i would be good. but im learning, so here i go.

ok now there is an area at the top of the manifold cover that looks like an inverted "L" so to speak. you want to put a breather there, yes?

there is also a small nipple that sticks out the side of the intake as it straightens out toward the front. you want to put a breather there, YES OR NO?

and this leak youre talkin allan, where exactly is that coming from

pinoyesv6
10-21-2002, 11:41 PM
there is also a small nipple that sticks out the side of the intake as it straightens out toward the front. you want to put a breather there, YES OR NO?

and this leak youre talkin allan, where exactly is that coming from

don't put the breather filter on the intake pipe. put a cap on it. the last thing you'd want is air to get into the motor that hasn't been monitored by the MAS. so pretty much by putting the breather filter on the nipple on the intake pipe is just like driving around with a big hole in your upper intake pipe

Big H Killa
10-22-2002, 08:22 AM
Pinoy that's not necesarily true. The nipple on the side of the intake pipe doesn't have a filter on it then the car stalls out. If it's covered and plugged it runs good. But I put a breather filter on that nipple and it makes the car run alot smoother in my case. And air not being detected by the mass is not always bad. And Hourglass the inverted L you are talking about is one of the spots I put a breather on and on the nipple that's on the side of the intake tubing is where I put the other breather.

Fishboy55
10-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Pinoy that's not necesarily true. The nipple on the side of the intake pipe doesn't have a filter on it then the car stalls out. If it's covered and plugged it runs good. But I put a breather filter on that nipple and it makes the car run alot smoother in my case. And air not being detected by the mass is not always bad. And Hourglass the inverted L you are talking about is one of the spots I put a breather on and on the nipple that's on the side of the intake tubing is where I put the other breather.
So let me get this straight. You have one breather on your intake, One on the manifold where the intake hose should connect, one where the PCV valve should go in the head cover and one in the manifold where the PVC hos should go? So you have four breathers, are completely defeating the Crankcase ventilation system and polluting the air, and will never pass a visual inspection for emissions. Not to mention the oil that will eventually get on your engine through those breathers without those points being closed. Sorry, but including the cost of the breathers, I just don't see the point.

Chip

Big H Killa
10-22-2002, 10:21 AM
I only have 2 breathers. One on the PCV on the head and one on the intake.

Danger DANJ
10-22-2002, 12:34 PM
Pinoy is right. It would not be wise to keep a filter on the nipple of the intake pipe. Just plug it up.

Besides, the whole breather filter thing is mainly for cars with turbo. The breather filter eliminates all the residue buildup inside the turbo, but doesn't do a friggin' thing for a car without turbo, except keep the inside of your intake tube and throttle body clean. I used to think it was a good idea, but after searching the web and reading info on this subject, I am positive that it's a worthless mod unless you have turbo.

Big H Killa
10-22-2002, 12:43 PM
Dave how can you say the mod is worthless if more air is coming in that the mass can't detect. If you're to lean then it helps like me. But if your to rich then it's just gonna make your richer. Then it wouldn't be worth it. But it doesn't let any air leak out of the filter. Plus it does give it a little bit more kick. If you don't believe me then go try it out for your self and then you'll see.

Tiptronic
10-22-2002, 05:14 PM
hell, i just thought it looked cooler than with the hose.
in any case, dont you want to keep the tube and throttle body clean though

Fishboy55
10-22-2002, 08:07 PM
hell, i just thought it looked cooler than with the hose.
in any case, dont you want to keep the tube and throttle body clean though
The throttle body is gonna get dirty regardless, from Unburned hydrocarbons and such... As far as the breathers go, If your car is too lean, how can putting a breather filter on the intake make it run richer? It's actually letting more air in, hence leaner. The system is designed to route those gassses and such through the intake where they're burned and released as non pollutants. I still don't see what purpose they serve like Dave said, unless you have a turbo. They don't even look that good. Plus all the gasses and oil are going to blow right out the filter on your engine instead of into the intake.

Chip

TJC
10-22-2002, 08:39 PM
I can attest to that mess Chip, lol. I have oil all over my stuff and if it was more conductive like water, I would have been shortening my distributor harness as the plug was soaked. I can also attest to controlled air into the intake is ok but any leaks and you will get rough idling and totally mess up your ECU and throw an SES light. I had a leak in the intake and thought it was my O2 sensors at first. Any unaccounted for air is going to do weird things and would recommend against it.

For those of you who have no clue to what the purpose of having the vacuum tubes there to begin with, here's some food for thought before you put breathers all over the place. http://www.autoshop-online.com/auto101/exh.html ('http://www.autoshop-online.com/auto101/exh.html') look half way down the page regarding "PCV". Also, in theory, the vacuum from the side of the PCV valve is supposed to keep the flow going from the intake tube to the valve cover through the PCV and into the intake right next to the first or second cylinder (I forgot which bank frt or rear) in my case (V6).

And in reality, the exhaust does leak back up through the intake so if you ever look behind the butterfly valve in the TB all the way through the rest of the intake plenum behind it up to the engine block, it's filthy as hell anyway. Bottomline is, you have to decide if a dirty externals are better than dirty internal, lol. Both has it's pluses and minuses.

Big H Killa
10-23-2002, 10:12 AM
Hmm well let me read this thing you posted here TJC. I really haven't noticed anything bad come from it yet. I haven't had anything like rough ideling or anything like that yet. I haven't seen anything getting hotter either. It actually seems like things have been running smother, and It seems like I'm getting better gas mileage since I've put it on but I can't definetly tell you yet I'm gonna have to watch everything and I'll let you guys know then.