PDA

View Full Version : Car vibrating

99_galant
12-07-2004, 02:38 AM
When I have the car in Park the car does not vibrate but once I drop it into Reverse or Drive and keep my foot on the brake it vibrates. Is that a belt that is loose or something??? When I first got it the engine use to be alot quieter but I here that vibrating.

keithert
12-07-2004, 04:01 AM
If you have a 4 cylinder it could be that the engine isn't revving enough for the balance shafts in the engine to do their job. I have noticed on some cars that they do seem to smooth out once the revs get above 1000 rpm. Does it vibrate badly or just a little?

99_galant
12-08-2004, 08:53 AM
Well you feel it lightly but some people don't notice. I do because I know how it used to be. And you can here it when I;m in drive and I have the brake on. Its like a fast tapping noise like the piece of the fan is knoking into something.

Monkey
12-08-2004, 09:01 AM
I couldn't give you a definite answer but ask if you have ever changed your spark plug wires? If you've got over 70k miles on there, you'll definitely see mass improvement.

loser00
01-06-2005, 08:11 AM
there hasnt been a post on this in a while i see but i am having that same prob but mine shakes real bad there is aot of noise but it all stops or settles down a bit in N or park the belts started sqilling also with it could this be the cause

ryans99es2.4
01-12-2005, 04:17 AM
mine does the same thing. i think it has something to do with the revs like keithert said. because when i rev it round 1000rpms it's fine, but mine usually idles at like 600-700 when in drive without using the throttle

my remedy is using neutral.... when i'm at a stop light i just pop it in neutral and it does'nt vibrate, because the engine is disconnected from the transmission, so there is no restriction there. try that and see what it does there.

99_galant
01-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Hey that's exactly what my problem is. I hate that with a passion!! So when I'm stopped I also put it in neutral. What is the reason for that to happen???

darylvia
01-27-2005, 10:54 PM
I have the same problem. Mine is a 00 4cyl and when I stop it vibrates a lot. I dont drive with my shoe on, so I feel it a lot more. I dont know why it happens. I already got new brake pads and my disks were checked and corrected... I donk know but I can't stand it anymore.
A guy told me that it was a motor mount, but I dont want to do anything until I make sure....
What can it be????
thanks

SilverDragonGTZ
01-27-2005, 11:08 PM
theres alot of this topic discussed in the past....hit up the SEARCH....but to make a generalized guess....could be a motor mount, but sounds more like idle....see if your throttle body is clean maybe? if you havent changed your spark plugs or wires in a long time....definitely change those....

tolowbass
01-28-2005, 06:39 AM
i would def check your front and rear roll stoppers(motor mounts) i can almost gaurantee thats it since you say it only happens in drive or reverse but not in neutral

darylvia
01-28-2005, 09:28 AM
I will change the spark plug wires and then see what happens... if it keeps doing that I would take it to the shop to check the motor mounts... Thanks

clone2020
01-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Mine only vibrates the way you described on cold days before the engine reaches normal operating temparature.

I've cleaned the TB, replaced plugs, wires, timing belt, all liquids, etc...

I have not replaced the motor mounts or any of the suspension/axle part either. The motor mounts look ok...no cracks...but I'm sure they're the originals.

-MIKE.