PDA

View Full Version : RRE Modded 9G vs stock Evo

DryBear
12-08-2004, 02:49 AM
Road Race Engineering Suspension guru John Meuller modified 9G vs Stock Evo. Sorry about the unfortunate file title - found at another forum:
http://tinyurl.com/4qa6x ('http://tinyurl.com/4qa6x')

pinoyesv6
12-08-2004, 06:35 AM
wOw

BigMike
12-08-2004, 08:32 AM
link is dead

Z
12-08-2004, 09:05 AM
link is dead

same here

Hodgson316
12-08-2004, 09:20 AM
what is it about???? is it a video???

bglocc
12-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Damn!!

pinoyesv6
12-08-2004, 12:20 PM
its a 9g and an evo racing on a road course. lets just say this. that 9g definitely isn't stock...

gottmanMR
12-08-2004, 12:21 PM
crazy, a modded 9g out foxed a stock evo

BigMike
12-08-2004, 12:23 PM
working now....

peanotation
12-08-2004, 12:49 PM
so why's it a GAYlant if it beat the evo?

DryBear
12-08-2004, 12:57 PM
so why's it a GAYlant if it beat the evo?

That's what I thought when I downloaded it and saw the title. :? :evil:

Anyway, More info - apparently that is a MIVEC 3.8L V6 9G (similar to the Ralliart 9G) that Mitsu had contacted RRE to upgrade.

josh_877
12-08-2004, 02:06 PM
eh idk about all that, i could be a bad evo driver too :?
not that i dont believe it, but theres alot of things that need to be taken into consideration.

Hodgson316
12-09-2004, 12:55 PM
what's to consider??? the galant passed the evo and kept the lead... the evo driver wasn't missing gears or anything :wink:

DryBear
12-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Another thing to note was that I just found out that the galant driver was a n00b - that was his first time at a track (a mitsu engineer).

HeadAche
12-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Still how much money are we talking for a modded RRE 9G to be able to keep up and pass a completely stock evo? were talking well over 8g's to do so. I bet if the evo turned up the boost there would be no keep up with it.

2000GTZ
12-09-2004, 02:40 PM
the topic at hand isnt whether or not which car is a better car to own, which is faster if they are both modded the same with the same money, etc. its simply that a 9G can be modified to perform just as well and in this case better than a stock evo.

SilverDragonGTZ
12-09-2004, 04:49 PM
^^^ ding ding ding we have a winner!! it probably wouldnt take much for our 8g's to out handle the evo...speed...thats a harder road to take...

Torque&Scoot
12-10-2004, 07:05 PM
I knew this car had some potential. I hope they start selling performance kit's soon, I have and itch!

seth98esT
12-10-2004, 07:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SilverDragonGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>it probably wouldnt take much for our 8g's to out handle the evo...speed...thats a harder road to take...</div>

Hah I would like to see this one...

Hodgson316
12-12-2004, 01:15 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SilverDragonGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>it probably wouldnt take much for our 8g's to out handle the evo...speed...thats a harder road to take...</div>

i actually think it's the other way around...

SilverDragonGTZ
12-12-2004, 04:26 AM
eh, i dont....i just think it'd be easier to make the galant handle better than to make it all around faster than the evo....maybe im wrong... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

HeadAche
12-12-2004, 06:50 AM
I dont think we could make it handle or make it as fast as an evo in either aspect. the evo is a rally inspired car that is made to handle and have all the power in any type of condition. We could first need to match all the handling characteristics, which would be off seing how the evo is lighter and awd, and then match it for power. I just dont see how it would be possible for us to do so. Maybe the JDM versions of the galnt would have a more sporting chance but us, USDM guys not really sure.

FastNFabolous
12-15-2004, 10:36 PM
How come RRE didnt do shit for us 8G :evil:

cardude03
12-15-2004, 11:03 PM
hmm, i thought i remembered reading somewhere that when Car&Driver did a test on the 8g GTZ, it got like .99 on the skidpad which was better than the m3....im just saying i think thats what i heard someone say on here a while ago.

DryBear
12-16-2004, 12:01 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FastNFabolous)</div><div class='quotemain'>How come RRE didnt do shit for us 8G Â*:evil:</div>

Well they did a lot of stuff for the 3G Eclipse so that kinda translates over.

GPTourer
12-16-2004, 03:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cardude03)</div><div class='quotemain'>hmm, i thought i remembered reading somewhere that when Car&Driver did a test on the 8g GTZ, it got like .99 on the skidpad </div>

Although the 8g GTZ was a good car, I find it hard to believe anybody came close to pulling one G on the skidpad with it. The Evo can't do that. Most people rate the Evo around .97 or less or so. Still it is very commendable that someone can make a competant handler out of a heavy FWD car like the Galant. I don't see why they can't do the same for an 8G. All you'd have to do is get yourself a set of JIC coilovers, I think they make them for the 3G Eclipse so maybe they'll fit, and then have that John Mueller guy tune them for you. They offer this service for 2G's, its just a matter of getting out there to him.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/jicinfo.htm ('http://www.roadraceengineering.com/jicinfo.htm')

FastNFabolous
12-16-2004, 11:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wanderingpinoy)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FastNFabolous)</div><div class='quotemain'>How come RRE didnt do shit for us 8G Â*:evil:</div>

Well they did a lot of stuff for the 3G Eclipse so that kinda translates over.</div>

:oops: Yup thats right https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif I dont know what I was thinking last night.

cardude03
12-16-2004, 11:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GPTourer)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cardude03)</div><div class='quotemain'>hmm, i thought i remembered reading somewhere that when Car&Driver did a test on the 8g GTZ, it got like .99 on the skidpad </div>

Although the 8g GTZ was a good car, I find it hard to believe anybody came close to pulling one G on the skidpad with it. The Evo can't do that. Most people rate the Evo around .97 or less or so. Still it is very commendable that someone can make a competant handler out of a heavy FWD car like the Galant. I don't see why they can't do the same for an 8G. All you'd have to do is get yourself a set of JIC coilovers, I think they make them for the 3G Eclipse so maybe they'll fit, and then have that John Mueller guy tune them for you. They offer this service for 2G's, its just a matter of getting out there to him.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/jicinfo.htm</div>

okay, so im wrong and right. i went to C&D's website, and read the article when they tested out a 1999 Galant GTZ. althought it did .78 on the skidpad, after the final tests, they put on some rims, new tires, and lowering springs, then they re-tested it, and it got .85g on the skidpad, which is was .01g more than the m3. and here is the quoted paragraph along with the link.

"WHEELS, SPRINGS, AND TIRES: We like buying wheel and tire packages from The Tire Rack (800-370-8473; www.tirerack.com) because they come mounted, balanced, and ready to go. So we ordered a set of 17-inch Borbet Type T wheels that look clean, serious, and muscular without appearing to be well-suited to a high-school hot dog's whacked-out Camaro. Mounted to these handsome wheels were Bridgestone's new Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17 tires with Variable Radius Grooves to control water flow and enhance wet-weather traction. The wheels cost $133 each, and the tires, $199. Shipping to Ann Arbor was $50. Grand total: $1378. New springs would give the Galant a slightly lower, more aggressive look. We got a set of $236 H&R (888- 827-8881; www.hrsprings.com) springs that indeed lowered the Galant 1.4 inches up front and 1.3 in the rear. Our local auto shop charged $497 to install them and realign the Galant's wheels, which must be done after changing springs. (Do not try this installation at !home. You would need a heavy-duty spring compressor that you can't buy at the auto-parts store.)
With all these new parts, we went to the track to see what good they would do. On the skidpad, the Galant GTZ got 0.85 g, 0.08 higher than when new. That's even better than an M3 (by 0.01 g). Braking with the replacement Bridgestones decreased from 191 to 171 feet. Highway ride, though, became incessantly bouncy, as if the suspension were hitting the jounce bumpers. When we drove over cracks and bumps, it felt as though we were hitting miniature square curbs. Without other changes to solve those problems, we would avoid this spring package on the Galant."

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...4&page_number=3 ('http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=3574&page_number=3')

GPTourer
12-17-2004, 07:28 AM
It amazes me that those guys weren't smart enough to install a stiffer set of struts to compliment the lowered springs. I wonder what was available for the Galant at that time. I'd think if lowering springs were available then KYB GR2's would be out - they are usually the first to show up on the market for OEM replacement.

RedGalant2k1
12-19-2004, 02:53 PM
It amazes me that those guys weren't smart enough to install a stiffer set of struts to compliment the lowered springs. I wonder what was available for the Galant at that time. I'd think if lowering springs were available then KYB GR2's would be out - they are usually the first to show up on the market for OEM replacement.

That test was done back in 2000. Nothing was availible as far as stiffer shocks/struts from anyone.