PDA

View Full Version : whining noise

sytntyt
12-09-2004, 09:33 PM
i have a 2000 i4 es. when i start my car there is no noise other than the normal engine running sounds. when ever i accelerate i hear a whining type noise, kinda sounds like a loose belt type whining. it only happens when i accelerate, if i maintain a certain rpm its goes away or if i let off the gas it goes away. im hoping its not the timing belt coming loose or anything like that. p.s- incase this helps ... a/c is off, 53k miles if there are any other factors that might help just ask cause im sure i forgot something.

BlankMan
12-09-2004, 09:53 PM
um - maybe it *is* a loose belt? Did you check them, are the worn, are they tightened properly?

BTW - how many miles on the car?

J

Proto
12-09-2004, 11:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sytntyt)</div><div class='quotemain'>i have a 2000 i4 es. when i start my car there is no noise other than the normal engine running sounds. when ever i accelerate i hear a whining type noise, kinda sounds like a loose belt type whining. it only happens when i accelerate, if i maintain a certain rpm its goes away or if i let off the gas it goes away. im hoping its not the timing belt coming loose or anything like that. p.s- incase this helps ... a/c is off, 53k miles if there are any other factors that might help just ask cause im sure i forgot something.</div>

BlankMan
12-10-2004, 09:51 AM
And that means what? If the ac is off, no belts are turning or can slip?

J

pinoyesv6
12-10-2004, 10:17 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>And that means what? Â*If the ac is off, no belts are turning or can slip?

J</div>

the belts still turn if the ac is off. its just that the ac is disengaged.

BlankMan
12-10-2004, 11:29 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>And that means what? Â*If the ac is off, no belts are turning or can slip?

J</div>

the belts still turn if the ac is off. its just that the ac is disengaged.</div>

Right- that's half my point. The other half being the alt. belt could also be causing the whine. Just don't know why "Proto" quoted/reposted the original post with the"a/c is off" bolded...

J

ChikagoGTZ
12-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Check your idler pully.

Proto
12-10-2004, 12:11 PM
You asked how many miles were on the car so I bolded the area which he indicated it

BlankMan
12-10-2004, 01:17 PM
ah :oops:

sytntyt
12-11-2004, 12:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>um - maybe it *is* a loose belt? Did you check them, are the worn, are they tightened properly? </div>
i checked the belts and there not cracked or worn, actualy they look pretty new. as far as tightened properly, i dont know.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Check your idler pully.</div>
exactly where is it or what does it look like(my first car) trying to learn this stuff, if u have a picture or know where i can find a picture of it, then i can loook and tell you.

thanks

rayallen34
03-08-2005, 02:02 PM
did you ever find out what the problem was? i have the same exact problem on my mazda. it wont start making the noise until the cars been warmed up and driven for about 15 mins. it only does it when i press on the gas.

RedGalant2k1
03-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Sounds like a bad pulley, possibly a bad belt tensioner.

Faction
03-09-2005, 06:15 PM
water pump on mine.

RedGalant2k1
03-09-2005, 06:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Faction)</div><div class='quotemain'>water pump on mine.</div>

Which has a pulley. Though I don't believe they have complained about the temperature gauge, and usually you see coolant leakage. If not then I recommend looking in the engine bay for dried green coolant. Look near the water pump, and intake gasket.

Faction
03-10-2005, 04:04 PM
not neccesarily a leak. but this happens to me only during cold start up til it warms and sometimes just adding a little gas, as for the dried green coolant, its all over my engine