View Full Version : Oil pan leak

brotherchris
12-12-2004, 07:40 PM
My oil pan has leaked for some time now. It started at about 50K then I put a fel pro cork gasket on it. It still leaked. Then I did it the Mitsubishi way and RTV'ed it. Still leaks. Anyone have any other suggestions? I have even tried a new oil pan and that didn't help.

StreetDreams
12-12-2004, 08:11 PM
The oil might look like it is coming from the oil pan but could be dripping down from somewhere else. Just a thought.

If you replaced the gasket twice and put a new oil pan on it, I find it hard to believe that it would still be leaking. Check real good around the engine to see if you have any other oil spots.

brotherchris
12-12-2004, 09:35 PM
I can't find any. Any ideas of other leak spots to check?

pinoyesv6
12-12-2004, 09:57 PM
are the bolts torqued correctly?? did u torque down the bolts randomly or did u use some kinda pattern to make sure that the pan is sitting evenly.

brotherchris
12-13-2004, 11:12 AM
I always put them on from the center to the ends alternating sides as I go.

pesuazo
12-13-2004, 11:44 AM
I would think the pan is warped

brotherchris
12-13-2004, 02:15 PM
I guess will see, I just put another cork gasket on it, and I rtv'ed it. If this doesn't get it I guess I will take it to the dealer. Then it will be there problem.

peanotation
12-13-2004, 02:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brotherchris)</div><div class='quotemain'>Then it will be there problem.</div>

haha, nope. they make everything YOUR problem by over charging you till your broke.

NinjaWarGod
12-27-2004, 11:58 PM
maybe one of the bolts are stripped. i had a problem with oil leaking out my pan and getting everything filthy and had to always put in new oil. i rethreaded some of the bolts and i havent had a problem yet; i fixed it about 2 weeks ago.

SamirDarji
01-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Even if you use RTV, sometimes you're supposed to go a certain way around the pan bolt holes. If you don't get that right, oil will flow right out of the bolt hole. Check that.

Before you spend serious money on trying different things, just get a Factory Service Manual that tells you the same thing it tells the dealer. Try it exactly like in the manual and I doubt you'll have a problem if the pan is good.

MidNightRacing
01-01-2005, 05:30 PM
you could have a damaged rear main seal gasket i know mine did n it leaked like crazy.

NinjaWarGod
01-03-2005, 12:21 AM
midnightracing where is the rear main seal gasket?