PDA

View Full Version : 96 0bd 2 ECU cannot be scanned! help

96s
12-15-2004, 11:23 AM
I have a 96 S with california emissions. My car will NOT pass the state inspection because the ecu cannot be read!! WTF! Why do they have to scan the ecu for emissions testing??
The car runs fine but the ecu is not storing data properly. these areas could not be read. The scanner says this:
Catalytic converter efficency: NOT READY
Heated oxygen sensor: NOT READY
EGR flow: NOT READY
oxygen sensors: NOT READY
Fuel system performance: READY
comprehensive component: READY

I have 8 days left before my registration is SUSPENDED because I have no inspection sticker! I heard it is very common for the 96's to have ecu problems.
I dont know if I may need a new ecu or not, a $150 junkyard ecu may have the same problem and electrical components have NO warranty.
I did disconnect my battery 2 weeks ago and that erased up the ecu memory. I also heard I need to drive my car more so the ecu can learn my driving habits. I have put 600 miles on the car since disconnecting the battery 2 weeks ago and maybe 25 on/off ignition cycles.
Is it possible I just need to drive the car more and the ecu should start working properly? Thanks

pinoyesv6
12-15-2004, 11:26 AM
here's a thought. are u sure its your car that's the problem?? my car failed emmissions for the same reason. the problem wasn't with my car but actually with the machine that was testing my car.

just a thought...

96s
12-15-2004, 06:42 PM
That was the first thing I thought, so I brought my car into the shop I work at and hooked up our snap-on scanner. The scanner said the exact same thing the emissions machine said. everything is "not ready".

Im just trying to find out if there is people on this site have run into this same problem with their 96 galants. If its common I will replace the ecu, if nobody has heard of a bad gelant ecu then maybe there is some other problem.

pesuazo
09-06-2005, 08:10 PM
I am having EXACTLY this same problem.
Where you able to solve it?
If yes how?
I am also in the same boat, and do not know how to fix the problem.
Any help is appreciated.

manybrews
09-06-2005, 08:36 PM
okay, now I see what the other gent was talking about.

those are "readyness tests" that the OBD cycle monitors. things like evap system, catalytic converters, etc.etc.
in other words, systems that are monitored for function, NOT checked electronically (like a solenoid or switch).
the cars need to get to a specific drive cycle in order to run the tests. For instance, EGR only gets tested for functionality during extended deceleration, warm car, below 55 MPH.
the "drive cycle" is determined by the manufacturer, and usually all the tests will be completed in about a weeks time, depending on how a person drives. they could all be completed in a day if the specific cycle is followed, but its nearly impossible.
usually little chunks get tested as the driver meets the conditions without even knowing it. For example, you decelerate often when the car is warm, so the EGR test will complete multiple times.

I cant believe that the car actually needs to be scanned in order to pass the test, though. I thought cali ran the cars up on a dyno (which is all that should need to be done in order to properly read the tailpipe emissions).

you cant force the car to "test" the systems unless you know exactly what the drive cycle is for each test, and that information is available in the service manual... but you would need to have a scan tool plugged in to monitor it to make sure its run the test.
frankly, ive NEVER seen a car that hasnt run all the tests in the matter of a few days of normal driving.
hell, the Heated oxygen sensor test should pass immeadiatly, so I wonder what the hell the tester is doing.

pesuazo
09-07-2005, 08:02 AM
The tester is just plugging the DMV computer to the car's computer, and reading the results.
Obviously there is a problem, since someone else posted about it.
What I am concerned is with the length of time (and driven mileage), and the test cycles have not been completed.
I am absolutely positive that a lot more than 25 start up and shutdown cycles, running over 50MPH, decelerating, etc, etc. Have happened, and still it gives the not ready message.
As you can read, in NC cars are plugged into the DMV system and the computer is scanned for codes as one of the requisites to pass inspection.
I am just wondering how the gentleman that originally posted solved his problem (if solved)

manybrews
09-07-2005, 04:02 PM
its not a "problem".

Theres nothing to fix, other than to drive the car.

pesuazo
09-07-2005, 08:14 PM
OK, may be I am misunderstood.
It has been 3000 miles, at least 100 turn on and off, and 2 months since the battery was last disconnected.
And the car is "not ready" yet. :shock:
Are you suggesting these cars take longer than that to be "ready"? :?
Is there a way to find out how long it takes for the computer to "learn"
the driving habits of the driver or go thru the "cycle"?

manybrews
09-08-2005, 09:21 AM
it shouldnt, but there are certainly situations in which some cars will never fully pass all the drive cycle perameters.
In your situation, im more likely to believe the person testing the car is at fault, but I cant say for sure.
heres 5 different NECESSARY drive cycles. as you can see, its not always that easy to duplicate the enviroment to make them run.

http://home.mn.rr.com/hartsstuff/1.JPG

http://home.mn.rr.com/hartsstuff/2.JPG

http://home.mn.rr.com/hartsstuff/3.JPG

http://home.mn.rr.com/hartsstuff/4.JPG

http://home.mn.rr.com/hartsstuff/5.JPG

http://home.mn.rr.com/hartsstuff/6.JPG

pesuazo
09-08-2005, 11:08 AM
manybrews,
Thank you so much.
I will take the car out and follow these procedures as close as possible.
Hopefully all the driving cycles will be completed in one day, and I will be able to get the car inspected.
IF this does not work, I will be in trouble (new computer?).
The DMV already sent me a letter threatening to suspend my registration if I do not get the car inspected bySeptember 30th.

pesuazo
09-17-2005, 08:05 PM
It worked.
Car passed the inspection.
I took the car out this morning and followed every single one of the procedures (driving cycles).
manybrews,
Thanks again for your help.