PDA

View Full Version : How to Prevent Auto Tranny Problems

SamirDarji
12-15-2004, 03:08 PM
After finding out what's wrong with mine and the theory behind what went bad, here's what I know.

There a few things on our trannys that needs to be checked, otherwise it will definitely kill your tranny.
1. Hoses to the cooler. Make sure these don't clog. That cooler is important
2. Fluid. Make sure it is the correct fluid. DEXTRON WILL SHORTEN THE TRANNY'S LIFE! There was a TSB to dealers about this. THIS IS PROBABLY THE MAIN REASON OUR TRANNYS FAIL--BECAUSE PEOPLE PUT IN THE WRONG FLUID AND DROVE FOR A LONG TIME ON IT. Be sure to use a true Diamond SP equivalent. I recommend Amsoil or Red Line synthetics.
3. Filter. Make sure this gets changed with the fluid

Inspect the fluid regularly. Look for any metal. Inspect the pan when doing fluid changes (yes, do them yourself).

Metal is bad, very bad. It indicates your tranny is getting damaged through metal to metal contact. Your fluid isn't doing its job. Change it with something better.

My tranny's shot and will be lucky if it will make another 50k miles. I'm planning on using some products from www.lubegard.com to see if I can make it any better.

If you have the wrong fluid in you'll notice the torque convertor locking and unlocking under hard acceleration. To quickly and permanently remedy the problem, add a friction modifier to the fluid immediately. It will change the fluid to make it meet the proper specs. Then at the next change, put in the correct fluid from the beginning. Be wary of quick change places--that's where the quickest damage can be done.

Thanks to Robert at www.performancedemon.com for the talk and the recommendation of www.certifiedtransmissions.com, and Elise at www.lubegard.com for the advice on their products.

MidNightRacing
12-15-2004, 03:23 PM
I learned if your tranny is sliping (on the last leg before rebuild or replacement) you could but in dot 3 brake fluid and it will work fine for another 2-3 days :twisted:
***NEVER TRIED THIS ON MY CAR***

SamirDarji
12-15-2004, 04:15 PM
Hey, you still got that OBX cat for sale? If it has bolt-on flanges and actually has the honeycomb inside it, I have a friend that needs one for his Accord.

MidNightRacing
12-15-2004, 08:57 PM
its a high flow cat so its got no middle but the inside walls are honey comb dont know if it actualy does anything thou

SamirDarji
12-15-2004, 09:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidNightRacing)</div><div class='quotemain'>its a high flow cat so its got no middle but the inside walls are honey comb dont know if it actualy does anything thou</div>
My friend has the same thing already installed. They call it a cat, but it's just really a test pipe.

JiP
12-16-2004, 05:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SamirDarji)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidNightRacing)</div><div class='quotemain'>its a high flow cat so its got no middle but the inside walls are honey comb dont know if it actualy does anything thou</div>
My friend has the same thing already installed. They call it a cat, but it's just really a test pipe.</div>

Sounds more like a resonator to me. Basically a short tiny premuffler. A I think all CAT's have the honey combs in the middle to "purify the airflow" if its on the sides..90% of the air will fly through with no filtering.
FYI Resonators are dirt cheep, you can get 36" long ones 3" openings for $30 from Summit.