PDA

View Full Version : kyb agx shocks raised my car! :cry:

lx4life
10-03-2002, 03:24 PM
i just installed the kyb agx for my 2001 galant I-4 and after they were installed it raised my car least 1/2 inch its noticebale from twhen i had my stock shocks on i lowered the car w/H&R spring. The KYB AGX is for the 3G eclipse i wonder if that could have anything to do with it. anybody else had this problem? Now i have to buy lower springs or coilovers.

burthold
10-03-2002, 03:32 PM
Well, when they had the struts off of my car they were the same lenght as my OEM struts I don't see how they could have rased you car? I have never heard of a strut rasing a car. I moved off of coilovers to progress springs. and came up about 1/4 of an inch though.

Wes

az_galant_es
10-03-2002, 03:35 PM
Does the car drive better with the kyb set up?

jacuZZi
10-03-2002, 03:47 PM
I just put my KYB AGX for the front in , and still riding on stock strut for the back, it looks like raised the front a bit, but when i measured it with my fingers its still the same, which is 2 fingers all around.

lx4life
10-03-2002, 04:05 PM
the vehicle drives good but its just to high for me, now it has a bigger wheel gap.

mochanges
10-03-2002, 04:09 PM
How can this be? I really hope this isn't the case, b/c I am supposed to install mine tonight.

-Mohammad

Reelax
10-03-2002, 04:32 PM
ur springs might have to "settle" again because you un-weighted them during install. how long were the springs off the car? if it was for more than a few hours, the springs may have "expanded" back to when they were new. give it a couple of days and the car should sit back down by itself.

TJC
10-03-2002, 05:12 PM
well the only explanation that I can come up with is the KYB AGX's are obviously stiffer than the OEM ones which holds it's length better (resisting compression). The OEM ones are not under the same pressure and therefore compress more (softer ride quality). Usually you upgrade to a stiffer and shorter strut/shock; going with the same length but stiffer strut/shock would make it higher.

This is all assuming you are comparing the same springs in both cases. I believe OEM shocks/struts will always yield a lower ride height when the length is the same.

Dave@SE
10-03-2002, 07:28 PM
I agree with Reelax... I don't see how the new shocks (especially performance shocks) would affect ride hieght. They do probably just need to settle.

TJC
10-03-2002, 07:31 PM
You know what, if it is the springs that are keeping the body up, I guess several quick launches (squating) and good hard braking (dives) will settle the springs right back down in a hurry, hehe. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

jacuZZi
10-03-2002, 09:28 PM
its just looks like its higher than before but after measure it, it should be the same.

mochanges
10-03-2002, 09:38 PM
Well I am installing mine tommorow, I will let you guys know. I'll have to remember to take measurements before and after.

-Mohammad

Ghost Beat
10-03-2002, 11:39 PM
what prolly happend was you shocks were dead and your car was sitting dead bottom on the shock and then when u put the agx's on the dead shock drop was no more i know this caus it did it to mine i just put my front agx's in last week and had the coils set to the same height and they went higher a bit caus of the shock now can handle the drop unlike the stock one's... all i know is when i hit the gas the power transfer to the wheels seems better much less a delay from when i hit the gas to when the wheel's react :twisted:

mochanges
10-04-2002, 03:14 PM
I just finished installing mine (took four hours!) and my car seems like it is the same ride height. By the way, I also have H&R springs.

-Mohammad

Ghost Beat
10-04-2002, 05:08 PM
your shocks prolyl werent as dead as mine i had my ride heigh REALY low for a while then when i started to bottom out i put t all the way up and it was still sitting low caus the shocks were dead when i put on the agx's i had the coils to the same height and my height went up a little had to lower it down again but god do i love the ride now! prolly nothign compared to the people with lowering springs but people with coils and agx will know what im talkin about lol

GalantLsGuy
10-06-2002, 09:09 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with lx4life. The AGX's raised my height too. I'm also riding on H&R springs. The shocks have been in for about 3 weeks and the height is still the same...no settling. :? Doesn't really bother me much though. The drive feels awesome.

Ghost Beat
10-06-2002, 09:34 PM
you spring guys are weirdo's lol i havent had any problem with the monster truck look yet thanks to coils but i didnt adjust them either before or after the struts so dunno what thats all about maybe i just lucked out

GalantT3
10-07-2002, 08:42 AM
Dont scare me Im so close to getting mine!!!!!! Dont tell me it raises the car!!! I think it has to do with the spring expanding theory. Cuz I just dont see performance shocks raising the car.

Censee
10-07-2002, 09:20 PM
ok ive had problems like this with coil overs.i ordered them for a 3g eclipse and when i installed them,the lowest ride height on them actually raised my car,i was like wat the fuck???the lowest hieght of the coil overs was higher than stock height.i immediately returned them and got my money back.i dont know how some company make their products,but maybe some companies make em universal between galants and eclipsed,but some do it exactly just for the 3g.it was sad riding my car like a 4x4

TJC
10-07-2002, 09:33 PM
ok ive had problems like this with coil overs.i ordered them for a 3g eclipse and when i installed them,the lowest ride height on them actually raised my car,i was like wat the fuck???the lowest hieght of the coil overs was higher than stock height.i immediately returned them and got my money back.i dont know how some company make their products,but maybe some companies make em universal between galants and eclipsed,but some do it exactly just for the 3g.it was sad riding my car like a 4x4

What kind of coilover was that and I wonder if the eclipse suspension IS the same length. I know some manufacturers like you said use the same part for both but what is stock suspension comparisons? That would be interesting to know and might answer a lot of our questions... or maybe not, lol.

Messiah
10-07-2002, 10:23 PM
I have the AGX both front and rear w/ Progress springs. My car sits almost 2" lower all around. I also noticed that most of you with the problem are riding on H&R spring, I wonder if that's got anything to do w/ it. I sure hope not. Or maybe the springs weren't properly seated in it's place.