PDA

View Full Version : quick exhaust question..

95mitsu03
12-29-2004, 04:48 PM
I put in an aftermarket exhaust in my 7g last year. all stock pluming from the cat back. it is really loud, any idea how to bring the noise level down with out replacing the exhaust. also, should I enlarge the piping from the cat to the exhaust? would it help noisewise? performance? Thanks for any help.

josh_877
12-29-2004, 04:52 PM
yea the 7g tends to be a lil on the loud side, all i did was get the muffler and 1 resonator taken out and its loud and around like 3k rpm i would hear like a crackle( like a leaf was rattling in the muffler)...but i got used to it https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

do u have a circle as a muffler? if so u can get a silencer.

GalantGuy96
12-29-2004, 04:57 PM
no u do not want to put a larger diameter piping, it will only make it louder. and like josh said, a silencer would work good, but u would loose some power.
and also, josh, that muffler crackle u talked about, is what we refer to as rice, a fart canon....no offense or anything, but u dont want people to hear that.

95mitsu03
12-29-2004, 04:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>do u have a circle as a muffler? if so u can get a silencer.</div>

no dual ... any real difference?

GalantGuy96
12-29-2004, 05:00 PM
they dont have silencers for dual tips, well not that i know of.
what brand?
your basically screwed, u can always go back to a stock muffler, but then why did u change the muffler in the first place?

krazienluv10
12-29-2004, 05:06 PM
add a cat...pretty much ur only option

pinoyesv6
12-29-2004, 09:02 PM
how about adding a resonator?? much cheaper than a cat too.

another option is to pick out a quieter muffler.

JiP
12-29-2004, 10:17 PM
If you ever redo the entire system get a glasspack "muffler" really just a long resonator you can see right through it, but its got mesh around the sides and fiberglass packing behind that..keeps your system free flowing and dampens a good deal of the noise. Summit has ones by Thrush ranging from $18-$25 depending on the length and diameter which range from 1.75 to 2.5" diameter and lengths from 17"-45". Page 75 of the catalog =P

Put that in the middle where the cat would be, and then whatever muffler you choose at the end where its suposed to go..nice n quiet =P

Since you said you only redid the catback and muffler..your only option would be a different muffler, or chop out the cat section and add in a glasspack from Thrush or whoever..

josh_877
12-29-2004, 10:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GalantGuy96)</div><div class='quotemain'>josh, that muffler crackle u talked about, is what we refer to as rice, a fart canon....no offense or anything, but u dont want people to hear that.</div>

So is there anything to take that noise away?

SilverDragonGTZ
12-29-2004, 11:00 PM
don't buy an EL CHEAPO crap ebay muffler....or buy a giant tip muffler....if you get one with a narrowed neck into a somewhat bigger tip....that helps a lil too