PDA

View Full Version : rainy day

MitsuBoyGalant
12-30-2004, 02:13 AM
i just installed my injen cold air intake, but i was woundering about what to do when there is heavy rain. From what i heard people just switch it to short ram air, but would you do that every time it rains that seems to much of a damn hasle

GalantGuy96
12-30-2004, 02:15 AM
fuck no

Fall Out Boy
12-30-2004, 02:17 AM
you dont have to, from what ive heard its ok if the filter gets wet...just dont submerge it. Plus you need to think, if the filter gets wet, chances of dirt and debris sticking to it are a lot higher. if you dont have one you might want to pick up a splash/heat guard for it.

Proto
12-30-2004, 05:05 AM
Air Bypass Valve

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product.../p-5491/c-10102 ('http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-5491/c-10102')

Danger DANJ
12-30-2004, 07:13 AM
I have an AEM CAI with the bypass valve, but unless you are planning on driving through some deep puddles, there is no need for you to convert your CAI every time it rains. I've driven through some deep water only twice and I'm not sure that the bypass valve was even utilized. The water probably wasn't deep enough. The water would have to be deep enough to submerge half of your bumper to cause any damage without the bypass valve.

b-boy_sky
12-30-2004, 01:14 PM
The only thing I would worry about are under carriege car washes. I use to drive through those until one day it wet my cold air and my car died on me. It was 110 outside and I was stranded. I pulled the filter out so that it could dry, the MAS was a little wet too so I pulled that out to dry and there were signs that the water traveled all the way to the opening of the throttle body. After about 20 min of drying I put everything back together and the car started up with no problem. I'll never drive through those again and wouldn't suggest it to anybody here. As far as the rain goes, I never had a problem....

pinoyesv6
12-30-2004, 02:12 PM
if you will be driving in the rain for a long time. like hours at a time then i would convert to short ram. the water won't just shoot into the intake like it would if you submerged the filter but it will trickle and work its way up over a period of time.

sospecial11
12-30-2004, 02:46 PM
I would suggest that you get a bypass valve. I have an AEM CAI. I didn't have a bypass valve because I never thought that I would drive through in a puddle deep enough for it to get submerged, but I did by mistake oneday. My car shut off immediatly after hitting the puddle. It would not start for 2 days. Fortunatly my engine didn't hydrolock, it took 2 days for everything to dry out before my car would crank up again. I now have a bypass valve.

djScript
12-30-2004, 03:28 PM
One time I was passing somebody and I didn't notice that the left lane was flooded. It only took less than 5 secs before my car shut off. The engine was running but I got no throttle response. I'd also suggest getting the bypass valve.

BILLET
12-30-2004, 03:35 PM
does injen cai have a bypass valve?

onlyphases
12-30-2004, 03:38 PM
where is the best place to get the bypass valve??

Proto
12-30-2004, 04:00 PM
Just go with the link I posted