PDA

View Full Version : Install problems with brakes! HELP!

Galant_01
10-03-2002, 09:45 PM
Alrighty brake pro's! I consider myself a pretty knowledgable brake guy but today I got my Brembo stock replacement rotors for the 2000 Eclipse GT off Nopionline.com and then started my on-going delema!
1st I immediately went to the nearest Autozone to get brakes so I could install ASAP because my brakes are really bad! I told them the usual 2000 Eclipse 3.0 with rear disks. They gave me the brake with lifetime warranty for $14.99! I was like cool and to town I go with the install.
Next after getting the front of the Galant on jack stands and the tires off I started disassebling the brakes! I got the the point were I even got the new rotors on and was trying to re-install the new pads on the caliper and NO GO! They were way to big! Holly shit! So I re-install the old brakes and rotors. Put the car back on wheels and drive back to Autozone irrate! They were like well if that is not it then this is the right ones! So back to the crib to install again....
So back at the crib I get the car back up, wheels off, and the damn this are not the right ones either! Holy Shit again! Now I am getting pissed! So wheels back on and car back to Autozone! This time I have them pull my old address and see what kind I got last time! So finally they got the right ones! So back to the house for install, a third time! LOL (I know I am an idoit!)
So I get the car apart again and started to put on the new rotors, Brembo ($30.00 at Nopionline.com) and they are not as big in diameter as the stock ones! What the fuck. So at this point I say fuck it and finish the install with the new smaller dismeter rotors, & the right pads. Does anyone know if they are supposed to be this way? I mean the pad is hanging over the rotors edge by like 1/4 of an inch! I mean I test drove it and it stops good! No more loud screeching! After a very long day HELP! Anyone got these damn rotors!

(Sorry for the long story! Damn my hands hurt for typing!)

TJC
10-03-2002, 10:12 PM
Hmmm.... you know what, I think the Eclipse's are just like the Galant's meaning that they make two different sizes of rotors. Maybe you got the ones for the I4 instead of the V6. I'd call NOPI and make sure that the one's you got are for the GT and that they didn't mess up.

manybrews, help! thx.

UPDATE:

I just checked the old brochures of both the '00 Eclipse GT & '00 Galant V6's and the Eclipse front rotor IS bigger. 10.9" compared to 10.6" respectively. But both rears are same at 10.3"

DAMN, that leads me to rethink about all the brake kits that are out there!!!

Okay, so let me get this clear on what you did. You bought rotors for an Eclipse and also bought brake pads for the Eclipse. The pads were installed into your stock Galant calipers. Result was the pads hung over the edge of your new Eclipse rotors? Did I get that right and was this for both the front and rear? BTW, do you have the single or double piston front calipers?

00GTZ00
10-04-2002, 08:02 AM
my first guess would be you got the rear rotors....

Galant_01
10-04-2002, 09:49 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>Okay, so let me get this clear on what you did. You bought rotors for an Eclipse and also bought brake pads for the Eclipse. The pads were installed into your stock Galant calipers. Result was the pads hung over the edge of your new Eclipse rotors? Did I get that right and was this for both the front and rear? BTW, do you have the single or double piston front calipers?</div>
Yea I did the front only! I mean I got the Brembo Rotor for the 2000 Eclipse. The only questions they asked is whether I had alloy or steel wheels! So because the GT has alloy I chose that. But I think maybe you are right? They might be the rotors for the 4 banger! They are about 1/4 an inch in diameter less than the stock ones! I am running these right now on my car and it still stops but I am worried about them! I mean the pad wear would be really strange and be cutting the pad 1/4 of the way into the pad! So I called Nopionline this morning and they said that they are for the Eclipse V6! Hum....

Galant_01
10-04-2002, 10:17 AM
OK called back Nopi about this problem! Talked to a senior guy and he said that the rotors must either be for the 2G Eclipse or it might be for the I4 GS with alloy wheels! So do not order the Brembo "Cheap" rotors off Nopi (Part numbers 437+1315 & 437+1314) they DO NOT fit the Galant or Eclipse V6!
But Nopi did offer a full exchange! So even though this has been a huge hassle I guess in the end I have learned not to try to go the "cheap" route! Looks like I am going to get the Power Stop Rotors (Part Numbers 480+0120 & 480+0121). Just to double check does anyone have these on there car now?

chibisak
10-04-2002, 11:06 AM
it seems u got the wrong one
since i have the over size brake and pad still have no problem and run great !! the one i use is AEM ...

Galant_01
10-04-2002, 03:38 PM
So no one has the Power Stop rotors from Nopi on there Galant?

RedGalant2k1
10-04-2002, 03:59 PM
Thomas,

The rotors shouldnt be the problem. Did you notice if the caliper piston was pushed out at all? I helped MetalManiac with his brakes and thats what the problem was. I just pushed in the pistons put the new brake pads on and re-installed the caliper and wheels and Voila!

Did you get them done? The brembo rotors should fit fine.

Galant_01
10-04-2002, 07:41 PM
No I am not talking about the width of the rotor! I have the fine! I have a caliper vise. I am talking about the diameter of the rotor. Like part of the pad is hanging off the rotor until it does not contact the rotor at all! How do I explain it....
The rotor stops about 4/5th into the pad so that part of the pad does not touch rotor! Now good! Anyone actually have the Brembo Stock "cheapy" rotors?

BlueESV6
10-06-2002, 09:22 AM
I bought powerstop crossdrilled from another place but they sent me the wrong ones as well (too small diameter). I called them back and they said, "oh, i thought you said eclipse... not galant" The eclipse rotors on the front are smaller (at least on the 2000 model). They sent the right ones and ate the shipping cost. Took about 2 weeks to get it straight....

I wouldn't drive with those for long because since your pad is hangin over you don't have full contact on the rotor! May do some wacky stuff and you don't want to get in a bad spot when trying to stop! Sorry to hear about all that mess... hope you get it sorted out!

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Galant_01
10-06-2002, 11:30 AM
I noticed that on the Nopi site that they only have the PowerStop Listed under the 2000 Eclipe and it says for all V6 models! So I wonder if that is true? Hum... Does anyone know if the 2000 Eclipse has different rotors than the 2001+? That would be so wack!

Galant_01
10-06-2002, 11:31 AM
All I know is that I am NOT paying the dealer $110 a piece for those shitty stock rotors!

TJC
10-06-2002, 12:49 PM
Unless they changed the rotor size for the Eclipse some where in the year or their brochure for the '00 Eclipse GT is wrong. This kind of goes against anything I've found. If anything, the '00 Eclipse GT FRONT rotors should be slightly BIGGER than the '00 Galant V6 Front rotors. Unless you are talking about the I4, then I need to look into it again. Overhanging pads on a rotor is definitely not good.

I though manybrews covered this in another thread before about differences in the Eclipse and Galant brakes........ will search for that thread again.

jman380
10-06-2002, 01:35 PM
i was reading this post and i feel bad for al the problems your having. but i do recall reading an article before i bought my galant stating that for 2001 the galants were gonna have better braking system. are you sure that you dont have to buy the rotors for 2001 eclipse. just thought i would try to help with the info i read. because the same goes for the 2002 and 3 if you get in one the braking is alot smoother and quieter because they upgraded again

BlueESV6
10-06-2002, 03:06 PM
I don't know which rotors you bought but I dug out my old paperwork on the powerstop crossdrilled....

They originally sent me PN's JBR518's which (after they didn't fit) they said was for the eclipse. I then was sent PN's JBR 583's which fit perfectly.... don't know if your PN's match this but hope it helps. I also tried a search for further rotor explaination but didn't find anything... remembered something about when Tiller was ordering the Bear brake system... I think manybrews was talking about the brakes then... but couldn't find the thread... sorry

poloprincess
10-07-2002, 11:49 AM
I have powerslot rotors on my Galant. Got them from RRE. Along with Metal master brake pads. They are really nice just the little squeek but you are gonna get that from a semi metallic brake pad. I have brand new stock rotors if anyone wants to buy them cheap. Mitsu gave me new ones after I bitched about them having to turn my old ones 3 times. But right after I put on the powerslots. So far so good. I wanted the AEM but didnt have the money at the time. I only have an I4 too so didnt really see the point.

LatinGalant
10-07-2002, 12:32 PM
Seems like we are all confused, I am myself have been searching for rotors and pads for my 2002 i4 glant with abs, guess what seems that no one has these except for mitsu. I refuse to buy now brakes from them when my brakes where shot since 6,000 miles. Sooo if anybody has the true conversion information from Eclipse to Galant I and everybody else would trully trully apreciate it. I tried calling mitsu dealer to see what eclipse matches the specs of my galants and all they could tell me is you need to get galant brakes we don't have that info.

Galant_01
10-07-2002, 01:15 PM
I have powerslot rotors on my Galant. Got them from RRE. Along with Metal master brake pads. They are really nice just the little squeek but you are gonna get that from a semi metallic brake pad. I have brand new stock rotors if anyone wants to buy them cheap. Mitsu gave me new ones after I bitched about them having to turn my old ones 3 times. But right after I put on the powerslots. So far so good. I wanted the AEM but didnt have the money at the time. I only have an I4 too so didnt really see the point.

Good God Polo I really need them! What do you want for them? Email me at [email protected] and we can make arrangements because I need them bad! I am driving my mom's 1994 Town & Country Van because I do not trust my brakes! HELP PLEASE!
Wait you have an I4! That will not fit my ESV6 will it? God I hope so someone HELP! LOL

Galant_01
10-07-2002, 01:40 PM
Holy Crap! The RRE Site has the Power Slot brakes for $190! Wow that is quite expensive! So our choices are:

RRE - Power Slot Slotted Rotors (I4-$150 each/ V6-$190 each)
Nopi - Power Stop Cross Drilled Rotors ($76.80 each)(Unconfirmed Fit)
KRP Braking Systems - Brembo Slotted & Cross Driled ($70 each)

Any others?

pinoyesv6
10-07-2002, 01:51 PM
Holy Crap! The RRE Site has the Power Slot brakes for $190! Wow that is quite expensive! So our choices are:

RRE - Power Slot Slotted Rotors (I4-$150 each/ V6-$190 each)

Any others?

the power slot ones from RRE are 190 for a pair. not each...

efiLnikcuFeciN
10-07-2002, 01:53 PM
yeah, bradi rotor Cross Slotted -- $140-150 for front only ( 2 rotors ) these are for V6 -- if you buy all corner i can give u cheaper https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif
Click Here for Picture ('http://www.tgc-forums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1783')

here is another pic installed :
Installed on my car ('http://www.tgc-forums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2948')

pinoyesv6
10-07-2002, 01:58 PM
o yea you might wanna contact Precision Brake Company. They sell many brands of rotors there and was our TGC affiliate for the old DBA brake rotor group buy.

http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com ('http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com')

poloprincess
10-07-2002, 02:00 PM
Yeah I think you read that wrong. 190.00 for the pair is actually not bad at all. Yeah I have an I4 so they wont fit your V6. But the V6Eclipse rotors should fit your V6 Galant. The only change is that the 2001 Galant and Eclipse V6 went back to a single piston Caliper. I have the V6 Eclipse 2000 and it has dual piston calipers. Our cars are the same exactly. Just different body styles. So if you have a 2k Galant V6 the 2k Eclipse GT rotors will fit your Galant.

Galant_01
10-07-2002, 02:22 PM
Ah you are right! OK I am getting this now! The 2001 Galant & Eclipse have the single piston calipers! (Mine sure does!) but the 2000 Eclipse & Galant have double piston calipers! (Which is why these damn things do not fit!))

So again our list is up to:

RRE - Power Slot Slotted Rotors (I4-$75 each/ V6-$95 each)
"Unknown Company" - Bradi Slotted & Cross Drilled ($65 each)
Precision Brake Co. - NONE Available at this time! (I just got off the phone with them!)

Gilhuly
10-07-2002, 08:56 PM
I did business with KRP and they did great for me. 4 drilled, slotted rotors and pads for like $354. Everything went on great and I love them. And to respond to the above - Semi metallic pads don't have to make any noise - use the brake quiet spray on the backs of the pads when installing.

Galant_01
10-15-2002, 05:44 PM
OK I just ordered my front Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors, and Metal Masters Pads shipped for $155 from Boomer at KRP! I guess Boomer is dealing with the car clubs now(or so he says)! So I thought I would just put out the info!