PDA

View Full Version : Tranny feels like it's stressing after timing belt was chang

nene
01-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Tranny feels like it's stressing after timing belt was changed...

Here is some back ground:

1999 Galant ES 4Cyl with 90,000 Miles

I drive the car mostly on the highway for weekend trips.
I recently (80,000 mi) replaced the Timing Belt with the water pump.
All the products were ordered from Mitsubishi.
The work was done outside of mitsubishi at a local shop.

Afterwards I feel that the car has a little bit more kick, but I also changed the Automatic transmission fluid at around the same time with Mitsubishi.
The filter was replaced too.

no more than 6 months later I found out that my ATF was black and needed to be replaced when I changed my motor oil.

I went ahead and changed it, but i have noticed that the car with show that my RPM's are at 3000 when I am riding at 70 Miles per hour.

I tried resetting the ECU by removing the + on my battery cable from the battery and drove very slow for a couple of days, but I still feel that I can not race the car too much.

I use to be able to drive 90 miles per hour on an interstate and not feel restricted.

I can sometimes feel the gas pedal vibrate past 70 miles per hour.

What could have happened???

How can I fix it????

Is it time to trade in my baby????

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....

pinoyesv6
01-05-2005, 02:14 AM
if it happened right after you got the timing belt done then i say check the timing. see if its right. i know with my car, b4 i got the belt done the car i thought ran fine. but after seeing how much the timing was off and getting that fixed when the belt was replaced, my car ran even better.

nene
01-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Where would you recommend I should take my car to....

Cost is important, but if the car is going to suffer, then maybe I should take it to Mitsubishi.

The place I took it to was ASE certified and was about 300 dollars cheaper.

I am worried that the car is not going to last that long with the Tranny burning up the ATF that fast.

pinoyesv6
01-05-2005, 08:56 PM
ok. i've been giving this some thought

first of all. mitsu would be the best place to take it. they know the most about your car. but, there are many outside shops that have mechanics that can do just as good of a job as mitsu. if you feel like your shop is like that then take it to the outside shop.

but yea, the more i read it the more im thinking that you are having tranny problems more than you are having timing problems.

with the timing off you can have some decreased peformance. but, i don't feel like it would cause so much stress on your drivetrain that it would burn the tranny fluid so quickly. i mean without you noticeing it a while back.

with that said on to the tranny. you said you got the ATF changed by mitsu so using the wrong fluid would be highly unlikely. but yea 10k for burning the fluid is really not normal. get it checked out by the shop of your choice. if you want, you could get the problem diagnosed by mitsu and get it done by another shop if you want. but thats up to you.

Fall Out Boy
01-06-2005, 02:19 AM
it only costs 50 bucks to have a mitsu tech diagnos your car. they will check any and everything you tell them to.

nene
01-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks alot guys....
I will schedule a Diagnostics on the car, seems to be going for $95.00 here in NYC, but I guess that is the cost of living here....

I'll keep you guys posted on the results...

Fall Out Boy
01-08-2005, 03:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nene)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks alot guys....
I will schedule a Diagnostics on the car, seems to be going for $95.00 here in NYC, but I guess that is the cost of living here....

I'll keep you guys posted on the results...</div>

hope it goes well...when i had to take my ride in to get my srs checked out they said it was a $50 checkout fee...but since im under warranty if they did find a problem they would waive it and there was and i left without paying a cent.