PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Wanted

Dracas
10-04-2002, 02:13 AM
Trying to road-map the modifications I'm going to have done to my 95 Galant S, and wanted some opinions, as well as mechanical feedback to make sure this is all sound before I start saving to have everything done.

It'll be awhile, so I have plenty of time to make adjustments. The vehicle is a 7th Generation 1995 Galant S 4-Spd Automatic. I'm not sure I want to do the modifications on this model in particular due to the fact its an automatic, but I do intend to use a 7th Gen Galant as my target vehicle. Chances are I'll run this by a friend of mine whose a hardcore mechanic as well, my major concern will be all the power-plant interchange and block-swapping.

Engine and Mechanical

Mitsubishi Sirius 4G64 DOHC 2.4l 16-Valve Engine Block ($1750.00)
<span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>To replace the Sirius 4G64 SOHC 8-Valve</span>

Mitsubishi 4G63T Turbo, Head, ECU, and Wiring Harness (Anyone got a price quote?)
<span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>To replace the Sirius 4G64 DOHC 16-Valve Head/ECU</span>

Custom Machined Forged Pistons (Anyone got a price quote?)
<span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>To replace the original 4G64 Pistons</span>

Weapon-R Dragon Intake for 94-98 Galant 4-cyl. ($180.00)
<span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>To replace the stock air filteration system</span>

Dual Carsound RP Hi-Flow Performance Catalysts ($285.00)*
<span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>To replace stock California Spec* Catalysts</span>

Custom Exhaust Arrangement (Dual-pipe rear) (budget: $750)
<span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>Custom Design to damper high-end noise and increase airflow through the dual-catalysts*</span>

DragunFire VEX-140 Angled Tip 4" Tip (FTO) ($189.95)
<span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>To replace stock Muffler</span>

RPW 7th Generation Race Headers ($365.00)
<span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>To replace stock headers</span>

2x AEM Tru-Time Cam Gears for DOHC 4G64T Hybrid ($303.78)
<span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>To replace stock headers</span>

I also intend to make various changes to the trim designs and possibly rebuild the rear end to accept a specific set of Altezza's I found. At its heart this car will still be a Galant, but overall at its core and at its body, I wanted to redesign how this thing looks and performs, mainly because I know the potential that Mitsubishi gave us with these vehicles.

One day this car will earn the "Type-S" Emblem I'm slapping on the back of it, because the lonely "S" in the rear corner just isn't enough

Opinions wanted, let me know if this is all mechanically sound, or you can recommend some better parts in there, thanx

:7G: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif

Kain
10-04-2002, 07:40 AM
I just hope your pockets are much deeper than mine. Oh, and plan on setting aside another $1500 for a new transmission. With the power you look to be persuing the stock tranny is not going to survive. I'd lean toward a 5 speed swap looking at the set up you're shooting for. But a Level10 unit would work well too. Also, if you're going for a hybrid '64/'63 (I.E. '64 2.4L block, '63 DOHC head) you don't need a new block, the DOHC and SOHC '64s use exactly the same block. As for new pistons, you're looking at between $400-$600 depending on what exactly you want. You have to get them custom made, thus the expense. And if you're going to all that trouble, you may just want to build up the entire bottom end. It won't need much as Mitsubishi bottom ends are nigh indestructible. And a final point, if you want a turbo, cancel the order on the headers. Headers are a N/A only mod. And while I'm at it, do you live in Cali? If not, screw the pre cat. Just get the one big one.

Jesse
10-04-2002, 01:42 PM
yeah, what Kain said.

If you get the custom pistons for the 64 block and 63 head (no stock pistons work) then you'll need to get the block bored and honed to make everything work.

dohc swap along should run you about 500 including a timing belt, head, and 94 Galant GS dohc ECU. Then you'll want AEM cam gears and a lot more fun stuff.

The turbo parts if all are used should gost around 1200.

Then you'll want a better transmission too.

96TEXASgalant
10-04-2002, 01:52 PM
Kain: Does that mean I can swap my SOHC for a DOHC with relative ease? What all would i have to do?

seth98esT
10-04-2002, 02:41 PM
Parts List for DOHC head swap

1) DOHC head(filling 5 water holes on the block) 1g is better
2) galant gs timing belt
3) head gasket
4) cam gears
5) harness
6) ECU
7) if possible low comp pistons

14b TURBO

1) Mitsubishi 14b Turbo
2) intake manifold (1g is better)
3) exhaust manifold (2g is better)
4) 02 housing
5) resistor pack
6) 450cc injectors
7) safc
8) boost controller
9) bov
10) i/c piping
11) i/c
12) downpipe
13) turbo inlet pipe
14) oil lines
15) water lines

thats estimate parts for turbo and/or dohc head swap

2True
10-04-2002, 02:53 PM
IMO, for that amount of work and money it would be more lucritive to just do a full swap. The 4G63T is nice or if you can get your hands on the infamous 6a12TT that would be the shizznit!! :twisted:

It would take a lot of dough, time, and modifiactions but no more than what you are looking at now.

A GS-T M/T would also be a good choice for the tranny I'm thinkin'

Dracas
10-04-2002, 06:25 PM
The point of Hybridding the 4g64/4g63 was to get a better compression sample (Compliments of the 46g4) and a turbo I thought?

Hmm, I may be pretty much redesigning the engine anyhow, however, will the 6a12TT engine even fit in the space in the front of a galant to begin with? Theres a limit to whats considered "Modifying" and whats called "Re-engineer" I don't really have the time of facilities to re-engineer a powerplant for this car, not to mention I lack the resources for that, as it stands right now, this is a $5000 or so project

But if its possible to do without Re-engineering, I'm game :bouncing:

2True
10-04-2002, 09:51 PM
The 6a12TT will bolt right up (relatively speaking) with ECU and wire harness. It is for the J-Spec 7g but It will fit in the USDM I'm thinkin'.

Here is the 6a12TT in a 7g from the PI. Thanks to VR6 for the pic https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid34/p8af2c3bd53bb49e22605b9d381dae81f/fd33f224.jpg
I couldn't find the specs on it but from what I see.. V6 (Twin?) Turbo. And obviously you should recognize the car it's in.

Importing one will be your largest obstical...

seth98esT
10-05-2002, 04:34 PM
heres ('http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1864761366') a 4g63 dohc head from a talon tsi for $150...im thinking a full dohc head swap will be est $500...and a 14b turbo swap will run around $1000-1500 depending on how you do it