PDA

View Full Version : noob has problem - galant 92 glsi with no injection pulse ?

wax
01-10-2005, 01:03 PM
hi all

i'm a noob from the uk with a problem.

was happily driving my 92 Galant GLSi to work last week when the 'check engine' light came on.

engine was still running ok, but after light had been on for about 15 seconds, i had to stop for traffic lights and the engine died and wouldn't restart.
(i seem to remember a slightly funny smell for a while, when it happened but am not 100% sure if it came from my car or some external source)

have had RAC mechanic look it over. still have a spark, but no pulse on the injector.

i'm guessing this is either :
a) a relay problem.. either fuel pump or injector relays
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif ECU meltdown
c) dodgy earth / cable problem

does anyone here have any ideas where to look for the relevant relays, etc.

I know this type of problem is usually a bitch to fix but would appreciate any suggestions

If this is going to become a pain / major expense to fix then i will be scrapping the car as due to value of car it's not worth spending too much on repairing (and it cost me around £200 to get it towed home / pay for the parking ticket i got when it was on the roadside) , so if there's any UK members who are looking for spares on a 92 galant and want to take it off my hands , then PM me please.

ken inn
01-10-2005, 05:31 PM
more that likely your ecu is hosed. there are 3 capacitors in there that leak out acid, and eventually wipe out the circuitry. if you can take out the ecu, if it smells like rotting seafood, it is done. there are some places that can fix it if it is not too bad.