PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leak, anyone else?

evil-G-nius
10-04-2002, 05:11 AM
I noticed recently that I have had a small coolant leak. The problem might be rotted hoses I am not sure, but the spot of the leak is not exactly near the radiator. It leaks kinda by the oil filter. Any thoughts? Oh I also had a small oil leak too! Again not much but enough to alarm me because it has never happened before. So...any insight would be helpful.

brandon
10-04-2002, 02:57 PM
I think my coolant has the slightest of slight leaks too... The hose right near the header heat shield has a little little bit of coolant on it all crusted up.

miragal
10-04-2002, 05:16 PM
Mine leaks from a metal seal in the front of the cylinder head(timing belt side)

manybrews
10-04-2002, 06:22 PM
a leak by the oil filter is usually a water pump.
id suggest having a decent tech pressure check that baby.

evil-G-nius
10-06-2002, 04:40 AM
Naw it aint the water pump cuz it is green! It definately coolant. I am gonna go to Firestone to have it looked at. I have a discount card for them. I will let everyone know whats up. The rest of you with the same problem can get it fixed too when I finally find out whats wrong

TJC
10-06-2002, 04:55 AM
Naw it aint the water pump cuz it is green! It definately coolant. I am gonna go to Firestone to have it looked at. I have a discount card for them. I will let everyone know whats up. The rest of you with the same problem can get it fixed too when I finally find out whats wrong

You must have misunderstood manybrews. The water pump attached to the engine cycles the coolant in the entire car. And this would be the green coolant that leads to the crusty green stuff you see.

manybrews
10-06-2002, 04:43 PM
the water pump cycles coolant.

theres not much over by the OIL pump that can leak coolant other than the water pump.

note that im talking about 2 different pumps here.

Nyr0283
10-07-2002, 10:13 AM
I had the same exact thing.. leaks by the oil filter its the water pump.. its getting fixed as we speak.

evil-G-nius
10-07-2002, 02:25 PM
How much is it costing? I am broke at the moment and I will have to charge it so I dont wanna pay a shitload

Nyr0283
10-07-2002, 09:20 PM
well it only cost me 80 dollars for the water pump because my dad is good friends with the mechanic and he didnt charge for labor. the pump itself will probably cost you 130 then your looking at about 75 to 100 dollars for labor.

rfpa1
10-08-2002, 12:12 PM
Do some research on part costs.

I use either www.autozone.com, www.parts.com, www.partsvoice.com.

Then I order the cheapest and take to my mechanic.

As a matter of fact my ride is in the mechanic, with a list of at least 12 items to do.

I order parts first, then take them to be installed.

So far all the parts are OEM or from the vendor of such parts.

(Bosh and similar)

flipz_ny79
10-09-2002, 07:19 AM
I bought my water pump at napa, I think I spent about $75.