PDA

View Full Version : mitsubishi galant 94 ls upgrade?

Proto2
01-14-2005, 01:01 PM
hi.i have a 1994 mitsubishi galant.my dad just got a 2004 mitsubishi endeavor,but i want to upgrade the car with faster parts.any companies out there that make parts for this car.ive checked the stock hp which is 149 or something around there.i want to get it up higher.plz help me out.my screen name on aol is protocolx219 and u can email me at [email protected]

ive raced with the car with other non upgraded cars like civics integras and stuff

for those of u that want to know where ive raced at is gun hill rd. and webster ave. from there just drag race to 233 rd street.i want to look out for races in hunts point.i still havent seen any races out there

Mindless
01-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Boost it..dont waste your money on anything else.

Search the boards and you should be able to find all the info you need. There's also a sticky on DIY turbocharging in the performance modifications section.

peanotation
01-14-2005, 06:21 PM
you'll have to put in a turbo charger if you want power. if you aren't ready to do that, then just tell yourself it will never be any faster.

Proto2
01-16-2005, 11:44 AM
but what.is this car bad for aftermarket parts?

peanotation
01-16-2005, 12:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(protocolx219)</div><div class='quotemain'>but what.is this car bad for aftermarket parts?</div>

it's not "bad" for aftermarket parts, just nothing will give you any real power except turbo or nitrous, and nitrous will get you flamed. there are TONS of parts for the 7G, but i got the impression from your first post that you wanted to make the car faster, and you race a lot, so stupid little bolt-ons won't do anything

StreetDreams
01-16-2005, 01:29 PM
As others have said, if you want power, boost it. I agree with Mindless and Peano that it is the only way to make real power with the galant. But it's a time consuming process which can get expensive if you're going to do it right. There are no turbo kits available and, in my opinion, it would not be worth boosting the SOHC. If you're going to go through the trouble of turboing the galant, then you might as well go a little further and swap to the DOHC head as well.

BUT - You can do small mods which will give you slight increases in horsepower and better responsivness. Cold air intake and an exhaust would be a start. Although the total horsepower gain would be minimal, you would feel the difference. Your overall goal is what you should be looking at. How fast is fast enough??? How much time and money do you want to spend on it??? Some guys here have spent several thousand dollars turboing the galant; I'm up to $4,500.00 and haven't even got the engine in the car yet. :cry: You could probably spend a grand to turbo the SOHC with a T-25 or 14b and a stock sidemount running 5-7 psi and have around 200 hp. That's just an estimate. If you're looking for 300 hp or more...plan to spend several thousand dollars and lots of time doing it.

StreetDreams
01-16-2005, 01:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(protocolx219)</div><div class='quotemain'>but what.is this car bad for aftermarket parts?</div>

A lot of the galant parts are interchangeable with the eclipse. If you can't find aftermarket support for the galant, look for parts that fit the eclipse. A search of this board will tell you exactly what will and will not work.

MITSU_BOY
01-16-2005, 10:05 PM
HEY GUYS IM KINDA NEW AND I JUST WANTED TO ASK A QUESTION.

I HAVE A 94 GALANT WITH A 6A12 N/A ENGINE...

WHAT WOULD BE BETTER, IF I UPGRADED IT WITH TWO TD04'S AND CONVERT IT TO TWIN TURBO OR SHOULD I DO AN ENGINE SWAP TO A VR4 4G63 TURBO???

WHICH WOULD BE FASTER? ALOT SAY I SHOULD DO THE ENGINE SWAP BUT I THOUGHT ID ASK YOU GUYS.

StreetDreams
01-17-2005, 05:54 AM
Try this link for some info on the 6a12 https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...pic.php?t=33198 ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=33198')

Mindless
01-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Ok...this is just my opinion and is not meant to offend Seth, Brandon, Street, or anyone else building their galants.

You can turbo a stock 4G64 on the cheap and boost up to 7psi safely. But what do you have? Maybe 200whp like street said. But guess what...your galant is still going to be heavy as hell. It's a little disheartening when you consider there are honda CRX's, del sols, and civic hatches out there running all motor B16's with bolt on's that would smoke your 200whp turbo galant.

You can swap in a 4G63T or keep the 4G64 but either way your going to have to build either one of those motors if you want to be able to go boost crazy in the future. With the 4G63 you will have more aftermarket support but that's not saying be afraid of the 4G64 even though it is kind of the bastard child motor of Mitsubishi.

I guess my main point is that whatever you do you will need to build the motor right if you want to put done good numbers later.

brandon
01-17-2005, 11:30 AM
No offense taken...

Everyone has their own desires and goals when it comes to a car, and for me it was well worth it to boost the stock SOHC motor as it only cost me around $1500-$2000 for an extra estimated 70-80 horsepower.

I'm not looking to build a race car out of a 4 door sedan, just to have some oomph as a daily driver.

Altogether with the cost of my car and all my mods, I think it's safe to say you won't find a car out there for around $10,000 that'd I like as much as I do mine.

Just my 2 cents I guess...

Mindless
01-17-2005, 11:39 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Everyone has their own desires and goals when it comes to a car, and for me it was well worth it to boost the stock SOHC motor as it only cost me around $1500-$2000 for an extra estimated 70-80 horsepower.
</div>

Just to give you some perspective on brandons #. This is what I've spent on performance so far:

Intake: $40 (guesstimate because I can't really remember)
Bosal muffler: $60 (I think that's right)
Cat back: $389 (custom bent @ meineke)
Header: $150 (used header for an 8g)
Matched pulley set: $500 (approximate)

That's about $1200 alone right there and I guarantee that brandon would spank me in a race. I could have spent a couple hundred extra and turbo'd my shyt.

8G_GTZ
01-17-2005, 11:41 AM
i myself have left the "racing" thing and bodykits and shit like that. i'm now getting rid of my wheels and downgrading a size to 16". the thing is, they weigh 10lbs each. but the point is, i'm doing all motor now. also dropping it some more from the Eibachs to the TEIN kit, but i'm building my '64 with a '63 head. then when i graduate in May, i'm working more so i can turbo. at that point, my motor should be built completely with a '63 head. that way i won't have to worry about it then. i should safely be able to run 17-20lbs of boost. that is on the stock '63 head. your best bet is to go with the head swap and turbo. but if your income is low, do the basic bolt ons with a custom turbo setup that brandon has done, street is working on, or seth is almost finished doing with his full '63t 5sp. swap. then if you're not satisfied, do more like building up those parts and upgrading as you go. just understand that good power isn't all that cheap.

steve

StreetDreams
01-17-2005, 07:10 PM
I agree with most of what Mindless said. Except, a stock 1g, 4g63 can run high boost and handle decent horsepower without building the motor. A few local guys run in excess of 20 psi and over 300 hp on stock internals with the 4g63. That being said, I still 100% agree, that if you ever have plans on boosting any motor over 20 psi, you should have a built motor to handle it. Like Mindless said, if you have plans to put down good numbers later, it is better to start with a good built motor, boosted or not.

josh_877
01-17-2005, 08:36 PM
ay Brandon, what kind of turbo are you using? and are you still using the A/T? if so hows that holding up with the turbo? any problems yet?

Proto2
01-18-2005, 12:02 AM
oh man.im so glad that i started this post, and u guys helped me out.thx.good info.i met up with some kid that has a galant nicely hooked.and i just want more hp just to drive around daily nice and smooth.

Proto2
01-18-2005, 12:03 AM
and hey .can u really get a galant 94 Ls to 300 hp?

Proto2
01-18-2005, 12:04 AM
and what is dohc or sohc.i think my galant has sohc 141 hp stock.is dohc faster than sohc?

GalantGuy96
01-18-2005, 12:32 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(protocolx219)</div><div class='quotemain'>and what is dohc or sohc.i think my galant has sohc 141 hp stock.is dohc faster than sohc?</div>
im not trying to be mean, but how old are you?
and do u even know what sohc and dohc is?

Proto2
01-18-2005, 12:37 AM
im new.im 19 yrs old.and im not a mechanic.im just wanting to know the stuff that i need to know

StreetDreams
01-18-2005, 06:54 AM
and hey .can u really get a galant 94 Ls to 300 hp? Yes, and then some. If built properly you could pull over 400 hp.

brandon
01-18-2005, 07:01 AM
ay Brandon, what kind of turbo are you using? and are you still using the A/T? if so hows that holding up with the turbo? any problems yet?

14b

Yep, still have the stock A/T... but plan to do the swap in the coming months. I can't say for sure because I think I have an ECU issue, but the transmission definitely feels like it's taking a turn for the worst little by little.

Otherwise no real problems other than a slight oil leak from the return line.

StreetDreams
01-18-2005, 07:03 AM
and what is dohc or sohc.i think my galant has sohc 141 hp stock.is dohc faster than sohc?
Dual Over Head Cam and Single Over Head Cam. Most galants came with a Single Over Head Cam which has one camshaft which operates both the intake and exhaust valves. The Dual Over Head Cams came on the 94 Galant ES and on the 4g63 motors found in the eclipse, talon, galant vr-4, and others. On a DOHC, there is one camshaft for exhaust valves and one for intake valves. The DOHC from the 1st generation eclipse (90-94) is the highest flowing head in stock form. A lot of people, when they turbo the galant, swap to the DOHC head.

Mindless
01-18-2005, 07:05 AM
I agree with most of what Mindless said. Except, a stock 1g, 4g63 can run high boost and handle decent horsepower without building the motor. A few local guys run in excess of 20 psi and over 300 hp on stock internals with the 4g63. That being said, I still 100% agree, that if you ever have plans on boosting any motor over 20 psi, you should have a built motor to handle it. Like Mindless said, if you have plans to put down good numbers later, it is better to start with a good built motor, boosted or not.

True, true.

edit: And speaking of built 63's...there was one in D-sport a couple of issues back that had a built 63 and was pushing something like 1100whp on the bottle. Impressive.

Proto2
01-18-2005, 05:07 PM
wow.up to 400 hp.i would like to c a galant of the 7th gen go to 400 hp.but i believe the 8th gen might easily go to 400 than the 7th gen

StreetDreams
01-19-2005, 07:20 AM
It's all in the amount of time and money you are willing to spend on it. Clay's galant vr-4 was up to 426 hp, with bent intake valves and mild tuning.

8G_GTZ
01-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Dual Over Head Cam and Single Over Head Cam. Most galants came with a Single Over Head Cam which has one camshaft which operates both the intake and exhaust valves. The Dual Over Head Cams came on the 94 Galant ES and on the 4g63 motors found in the eclipse, talon, galant vr-4, and others. On a DOHC, there is one camshaft for exhaust valves and one for intake valves. The DOHC from the 1st generation eclipse (90-94) is the highest flowing head in stock form. A lot of people, when they turbo the galant, swap to the DOHC head.

I could've sworn it was the GS not the ES.

steve

peanotation
01-19-2005, 04:52 PM

steve

yeah, the GS was the DOHC/4disc brake model, ES came only in SOHC

MidNightRacing
01-19-2005, 05:29 PM
wow.up to 400 hp.i would like to c a galant of the 7th gen go to 400 hp.but i believe the 8th gen might easily go to 400 than the 7th gen
gimme till like mid july then you will :twisted:

StreetDreams
01-19-2005, 09:00 PM

steve

Well, you know what I meant. :oops: I don't know why I called it the ES. Sorry for the misinformation. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

MITSU_BOY
01-23-2005, 10:15 PM
HEY GUYS THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO.....

I'VE DECIDED THAT I'D DO AN ENGINE SWAP.

I ASKED AROUND AND MOST SAID THAT A VR4 TURBO RS ENGINE WOULD BE BETTER FOR MY CAR THAN MY STOCK 6A12 N/A TURBOED.

IT WOULD COST THE SAME BUT THE VR4 WOULD BE FASTER.....

IT WOULD BE AT MAYBE 240 HP STOCK AND WITHOUT THE BALANCER ABOUT 265 HP.....THAT'S OK SINCE I'M ON A BUDGET.....

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS =)

bronxbombr
01-28-2005, 06:58 PM
for those of u that want to know where ive raced at is gun hill rd. and webster ave. from there just drag race to 233 rd street.i want to look out for races in hunts point.i still havent seen any races out there

I pass by there all the time, havent seen you but will tell you this https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif.................I'll eat your food :twisted:

SpaceGhost711
11-01-2005, 11:24 AM

I ASKED AROUND AND MOST SAID THAT A VR4 TURBO RS ENGINE WOULD BE BETTER FOR MY CAR THAN MY STOCK 6A12 N/A TURBOED.

IT WOULD BE AT MAYBE 240 HP STOCK AND WITHOUT THE BALANCER ABOUT 265 HP.....THAT'S OK SINCE I'M ON A BUDGET.....

how does removing the balancer gain HP. What is the draw back and would it help on a 4g64?

peanotation
11-01-2005, 12:21 PM

how does removing the balancer gain HP. What is the draw back and would it help on a 4g64?

you remove the balance shaft and/or belt. the engine has to spin less "things" from the crank. i dont know about 25hp increase from the balance shaft removed.....maybe 10hp

SpaceGhost711
11-01-2005, 03:22 PM
so will the engine run rough if you remove it? Any other drawbacks