View Full Version : EVO ENGINE SWAP VIDEO

Stewi
01-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Guys Hear is a small clip of my engine running in the car, disregard the green text I only had a test version when I edited it, nothing crazy yet, just trying to break it in. Thanks to seth for hosting the pics, and guys PLEASE keep this on topic.

http://www.iamsethmo.com/Vids/evogalant1.wmv ('http://www.iamsethmo.com/Vids/evogalant1.wmv')

BlankMan
01-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Hmmm. Sounds like 1 or more cylinders are being quenched or have no compression.

J

Stewi
01-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Nah, they were 185 all around. Its idling lupity because I have no idle speed motor since i went to standalone. There are 2 small holes in the TB and air was getting past the TB even when it was closed, that problem has since been fixed. The video is untuned, just a baseline to get it running, once i get better vids I will post them as well.

Mindless
01-18-2005, 09:31 AM
Congrats dude. How much longer until it's done?

Stewi
01-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Well it is done, its been done for almost 2 months, just breaking it in before running any sort of boost

Censee
01-19-2005, 08:02 AM
congrats man,,,,, ,,,,anyways,,,,,just a questions,,,,are u running open headers??? sounds loud.,

Stewi
01-19-2005, 09:17 AM
congrats man,,,,, ,,,,anyways,,,,,just a questions,,,,are u running open headers??? sounds loud.,

On turbo cars you cant run open headers because then the exhaust gas wouldnt go through the turbo, in the video clip I am running open downpipe thats why its incredibly loud.

Censee
01-19-2005, 11:03 AM

On turbo cars you cant run open headers because then the exhaust gas wouldnt go through the turbo, in the video clip I am running open downpipe thats why its incredibly loud.
yea thats what i meant....

extremsprt86
01-19-2005, 03:02 PM
looks good man, congrats!

BigMike
01-19-2005, 03:41 PM
hot shit brian

Fall Out Boy
01-22-2005, 12:34 AM
damn...... that engine just sounds like it wants to let loose.....

DryBear
01-22-2005, 03:12 AM
So how long till you get that on the road? Must be a b*tch having to wait.

Stewi
01-22-2005, 06:58 AM
So how long till you get that on the road? Must be a b*tch having to wait.

Its been on the road since novemeber. We are just finishing working out the bugs, waiting til the rings seat properly to break it in.

Jesse
01-27-2005, 01:10 PM
My car sounded rought like that when i got my Talon on the road after it sat for 3 years from the previous owner.

Are you running the EMS or what stand-alone?

What injectors/turbo/ are you using? Love that external wastegate, they sound like they mean business. I have friends with the o2 dumb, they are obnoxious but sound threatending to a v8.

Drastic
01-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Sounds powerful :shock: . Excuse my ignorence but how much does an engine swap cost. Say I wanted to swap an Eclipse Sypder Engine in mine. What kinda paper should I be expecting to spend?

datdude305
01-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Sounds powerful :shock: . Excuse my ignorence but how much does an engine swap cost. Say I wanted to swap an Eclipse Sypder Engine in mine. What kinda paper should I be expecting to spend?

Eclipse Sypder Engine is the engine u hav in there now :oops: the spyder is the same as the coupe and the got the same engines we do well atleast the 2000 and up do

SilverDragonGTZ
01-28-2005, 06:20 PM
only difference between the spyder and eclipse gt is the intake manifold, higher compression, and i think maybe somethin with the exhaust? and they're a 5spd compared to our auto slushbox

Stewi
01-28-2005, 09:43 PM
My car sounded rought like that when i got my Talon on the road after it sat for 3 years from the previous owner.

Are you running the EMS or what stand-alone?

What injectors/turbo/ are you using? Love that external wastegate, they sound like they mean business. I have friends with the o2 dumb, they are obnoxious but sound threatending to a v8.

It sounds lumpity because it wasnt tuned yet, that vid is after it was first just stated. Im using an Electromotive Tec2 Standalone, in that vid I was running stock 560cc injectors, Garret 60-1 Turbo. Im about to install some Denso 720cc injectors next week.

Drastic as far as your swap question, the motors are identical from the 4cylinder eclipse to the 4 cylinder galant. Mitsu says the Eclipse has more power though because its their "sports car" The power is slighty and unnoticeable it comes mostly from a slighlty different tuning of the stock ECU, nothing special.

Drastic
01-28-2005, 11:09 PM
I have a V6 though. And its factory stock at the moment, under the hood anywayz. But I wanted more power and I kept seeing talk about 5 speed swaps and all engine swaps of the sort. I was just curious on what the price would average to be about. What is the most common engine swap.

Stewi
01-29-2005, 06:42 PM
There is really no other swap other than the EVO swap and for you with a V6 its harder, I had a 4cylinder so it was a lil easier, the 5 speed swap, a good, clutch and flywheel will make a big difference. For the 5 speed swap you'll spend about $900 for parts and then approx $1,000 for labor. You can build up your engine and put on a turbo kit or a supercharger

Censee
02-02-2005, 05:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stewi)</div><div class='quotemain'>There is really no other swap other than the EVO swap and for you with a V6 its harder, I had a 4cylinder so it was a lil easier, the 5 speed swap, a good, clutch and flywheel will make a big difference. For the 5 speed swap you'll spend about $900 for parts and then approx $1,000 for labor. You can build up your engine and put on a turbo kit or a supercharger</div>
hey stewi,,, any exact details what needs to be changed to a v6 galant to make the swap work besides the obvious motor and tranny etc??

Stewi
02-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Pedro I havent fully looking into it yet, but I would imagine the front cross member, control arms, stabilizer bar, etc. I gotta check it out some more.

Censee
02-03-2005, 10:38 AM
im looking into doing this over sds or any other set up.....i just wanna make sure that it will work on the v6 beforhand..i know cali is in the process of looking for a motor....hopefully its not as hard,, and doable...would rather have the 4g63 ,,,since parts are a bundle for those motors...

Mante
02-07-2005, 07:06 PM
good job B, cant wait to see that thing spring

JGMaverick
02-26-2005, 08:26 PM
what would be cheaper though and more bang for the buck.. the swap or sds??

jusmills
02-26-2005, 09:43 PM
chance are the bang for the buck factor would be higher for getting the SDS...the cost is pretty comparable to turboing and the kit is pretty much plug and play. However, I doubt in the long run if the SDS will be nearly as customizable as the EVO swap because there are already a ton of people out there customizing the evo engine (vishnu hks etc etc). SDS relies on one tuner. Not taking anything away from his product but its just one person's take.

The drawback to the EVO swap is probably the cost (gotta get the motor/tranny) then get it running in the car, then if you want start to tinkering. That's gonna cost a pretty penny, just my .02.

Other than that...nice work Stewi

neel9
02-26-2005, 10:28 PM
how much was the engine and everything including installation around?