PDA

View Full Version : Wow you folks were right about Synthetic

Auto-9
10-04-2002, 12:31 PM
After a few minutes of driving it really kicked in...I thought I had an inline 6 for a sec, really smooth stuff. I should have had this done much, much sooner...

Ghost Beat
10-04-2002, 12:42 PM
ya i swtiched to full a while ago and love it i baby the hell out of my car

burthold
10-04-2002, 01:43 PM
I have been running mobile one since my first oil change I wouldn't have it any other way.

Wes

BGR
10-04-2002, 05:40 PM
I have been running mobile one since my first oil change I wouldn't have it any other way.

Wes

Me too.

Make sure you use CD-2 if your lifters are starting to make noise. You'll know it when you hear this annoying tapping noise when you start the car.

ASTIG
10-04-2002, 09:44 PM
synthetic is all I ever use in my cars.

10-04-2002, 11:28 PM
ehh, wtf is CD-2?

BGR
10-04-2002, 11:52 PM
ehhh, go to the main page and read my testimonial - www.thegalantcenter.com

you still haven't told my what car you own. What the fuck is up with that?

Galant_01
10-05-2002, 07:42 AM
Rich,
What ever happened to Reslone? I thought that was the recommendation! I started using that because you mentioned it and kind if like it! Now you have switched additives? Man, I can't keep up!

MrDomu
10-05-2002, 07:48 AM
Mobile 1 is so worth the extra cost.

113500 miles on my V6 and it runs smooth as glass.

nycgalant
10-05-2002, 10:33 AM
Since all I hear is good things about Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil, on my next oil change I'm gonna try it.
I will let ya know if I feel the difference......

Auto-9
10-05-2002, 11:39 AM
The closest place I can buy Mobil 1 is about 13 miles away, so I stick with Castrol and Quaker State...maybe I oughta drive out there and see if it's worth it.

EsRacer
10-07-2002, 01:35 AM
So now I know to use Mobile 1 next time. Has anyone heard anything about that royal purple brand? I think it's called that, but I don't know anything about it and don't know where to get it.

BGR
10-07-2002, 02:27 AM
Rich,
What ever happened to Reslone? I thought that was the recommendation! I started using that because you mentioned it and kind if like it! Now you have switched additives? Man, I can't keep up!

Sorry about that. In that same post (on the old UBB site) I later said the tapping noise came back. Reelax even agreed with me on that. He originally recommended Rislone. In my opinion, CD-2 is a far better product. Been almost a month and the car is running smooth and the valves are nice and quiet.

BGR
10-07-2002, 02:33 AM
Since all I hear is good things about Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil, on my next oil change I'm gonna try it.
I will let ya know if I feel the difference......

You're really not going to feel the difference. Just knowing that the Synthetic doesn't break down or need to be changed as frequently as regular oil is the benefit. I'll say check your oil regularly, too. I go about 7,000 to 10,000 between changes but add a quart or two when needed. During these extended periods, it's best to add 1 bottle of CD-2 and 1 bottle of Mobile 1. Then at the next oil change, add 4 bottles of Mobile 1 and 1 bottle of CD-2 (for the V6).

Prophet
10-07-2002, 02:58 AM
Rich how often should you use that CD-2?

Jason

BGR
10-07-2002, 07:10 AM
Well, like I said above, since I go about 7 to 10,000 between changes, I would add the CD-2 around then, as the oil will be pretty dirty at that time and the valves will start to stick by then. Once you add the CD-2, it'll clean up the sludge that had build up on the valves. But this is just me. I'm somewhat lazy when it comes to oil changes.

I would add the CD-2 when the engine is starting to sound a little rough or at each oil change. It is a detergent so I imagine that it should not be used in place of oil but added when needed.

LatinGalant
10-07-2002, 12:37 PM
Just thought I should share this with you all, I to have starting using mobile 1 about 2 changes ago, also I use to just put 87 octane from whatever gas station and think it's all the same NO NO NO!!!! after the last oil change I started using premium from Texaco (my galant is a 4 cycle) and I feel the difference. I don't understand those people that say it does not help or do anything better I say yes it does. Better gas milage, better acceleration, smooth reving.

BGR
10-07-2002, 07:53 PM
Exactly. I used this technique where I get Premium for the price of Regular. I can tell that the technique works by the way the car performs. If I did it right, I have immediate performance when I hit the accelerator. If the technique didn't work, the car hesitates and is more sluggish. I then know I just put 87 in the tank. So far this technique only works at Shell, Texaco & 76 gas stations that uses a single nozzle at the pump.

Tiptronic
12-16-2002, 04:51 PM
After a few minutes of driving it really kicked in...I thought I had an inline 6 for a sec, really smooth stuff. I should have had this done much, much sooner...

i just got it done today (penzoil) but havent noticed a change yet.

manybrews
12-16-2002, 05:12 PM
You're really not going to feel the difference. Just knowing that the Synthetic doesn't break down or need to be changed as frequently as regular oil is the benefit. I'll say check your oil regularly, too. I go about 7,000 to 10,000 between changes but add a quart or two when needed. During these extended periods, it's best to add 1 bottle of CD-2 and 1 bottle of Mobile 1. Then at the next oil change, add 4 bottles of Mobile 1 and 1 bottle of CD-2 (for the V6).
thats absolutly false.
the oil needs to be changed at the exact same intervals. i would NOT recommend going 10000 miles on 4 quarts of anyones oil.

in regards to the oil additives, well, thats up to you guys. In reality, it has not a single proven benefit other than a psychological boost.

Auto-9
12-16-2002, 05:59 PM
i just got it done today (penzoil) but havent noticed a change yet.

They jipped you man! Just kidding...for me it there was a definite difference, but maybe that's just because I didn't change my oil for a while up until I got synthetic https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

LatinGalant
12-16-2002, 06:13 PM
I have 29,000 on my 02 4cycl I to use Mobil 1 syntethic 5w-30 and I mostly use Texaco Premium in my galant sometime when I have to I use 87 from where ever but my question is only when cold I hear the distinct tapping in the engine. Whats up with that?

SuperchargedGTZ
12-16-2002, 07:03 PM
i dont use synthetic cause of the SDS. Ross said that he does not want synthetic in the blower, so i use Castrol GTX 10-40W. but before i got the blower i did use full synthetic

Ghost Beat
12-16-2002, 09:29 PM
ive ran it from the start myself too its kept the car running nice and smooth

Cheenoh
04-04-2003, 09:55 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GTZ27)</div><div class='quotemain'>i dont use synthetic cause of the SDS. Â*Ross said that he does not want synthetic in the blower, so i use Castrol GTX 10-40W. Â*but before i got the blower i did use full synthetic</div>

But I've heard and even read that once you go full synthetic you cannot revert back to regular oil???

Auto-9
04-04-2003, 10:04 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheenoh)</div><div class='quotemain'>
But I've heard and even read that once you go full synthetic you cannot revert back to regular oil???</div>

Wow my post is still alive https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif That is not true. I for one, do this when I get free oil change coupons. I believe all the major manufacturers of oil have something about this popular misconception.

SB99
04-30-2003, 04:00 PM
I use to run Pennzoil Synthetic Oil on my 99 Galant. It actually worked real good, but then i switched to AMSOIL Synthetic. This stuff is the best. I don't know if you guys knew, but regular synthetic your not supposed to go over 7,000 miles. With this stuff you can actually go up to 25,000 miles or one year which ever comes first. I've been using this for about 6 months. I haven't changed my oil since then, i have about 8,000 miles since i changed the oil, and the oil looks clean, like if i had just changed it.
<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>I'm a distributor of this oil so if anybody has any questions about it send me an e-mail to [email protected].</span>

escoson
04-30-2003, 04:19 PM
Just thought I should share this with you all, I to have starting using mobile 1 about 2 changes ago, also I use to just put 87 octane from whatever gas station and think it's all the same NO NO NO!!!! after the last oil change I started using premium from Texaco (my galant is a 4 cycle) and I feel the difference. I don't understand those people that say it does not help or do anything better I say yes it does. Better gas milage, better acceleration, smooth reving.

i have to agree, i switched to mobile one about 25 mminutes after i got my car and ive also only been using 93-94 octane gas(super, some places sell 94 out here) i would never switch. sometimes i add a bottle of nos octane booster and thats also alot of fun. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Tiptronic
04-30-2003, 04:22 PM
I use to run Pennzoil Synthetic Oil on my 99 Galant. It actually worked real good, but then i switched to AMSOIL Synthetic. This stuff is the best. I don't know if you guys knew, but regular synthetic your not supposed to go over 7,000 miles. With this stuff you can actually go up to 25,000 miles or one year which ever comes first. I've been using this for about 6 months. I haven't changed my oil since then, i have about 8,000 miles since i changed the oil, and the oil looks clean, like if i had just changed it.
<span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>I'm a distributor of this oil so if anybody has any questions about it send me an e-mail to [email protected].</span>

not that i doubt you, but are you a bit concerned about that. i mean 8,000 without a change. if its that good, give us the 411. i'd like to know

toc8g
04-30-2003, 04:35 PM
thats absolutly false.
the oil needs to be changed at the exact same intervals. i would NOT recommend going 10000 miles on 4 quarts of anyones oil.

in regards to the oil additives, well, thats up to you guys. In reality, it has not a single proven benefit other than a psychological boost.

Whats the tapping noise everyone is hearing in the engine? Everyone from here and Club 3G has experience with the engine tapping a guy I beleive in Club 3G is bringing auite against Mitsubishi for this....I think. But This seems to be a problem with the 8G Galant and 3G Eclipse. Is that
psychological? The CD-2 seems to take care of the tapping.

http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/showthr...=Engine+Tapping ('http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10301&highlight=Engine+Tapping')

Auto-9
04-30-2003, 05:01 PM
My engine isn't tapping...at least not from inside the car. My engine only makes the unsolvable mystery gurgling sound https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

Prophet
04-30-2003, 05:03 PM
The CD-2 does help. The knocking is the lifters. When I put in the CD-2 oil detergent it seems to stop for awile. You really need to add it everytime you change the oil.

ASTIG
05-01-2003, 01:12 PM
My engine isn't tapping...at least not from inside the car. My engine only makes the unsolvable mystery gurgling sound https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

air pocket in the cooling system

ASTIG
05-01-2003, 01:14 PM

nice plug!

the oil will last long, but you will have dirt accumulating in the engine. if you plan to keep oil in there for about 6000 mi or more I suggest replacing the filter every 3k mi and just topping off.

BlankMan
05-01-2003, 01:33 PM
...if you plan to keep oil in there for about 6000 mi or more I suggest replacing the filter every 3k mi and just topping off.

And just how do you replace the filter without changing the oil???

J

SB99
05-01-2003, 05:47 PM
ACTUALLY THE OIL FILTER HAS TO BE CHANGED IN BETWEEN THE OIL CHANGES. YOU CAN ACTUALLY CHANGE THE OIL FILETER WITHOUT CHANGING THE OIL, BUT YOU HAVE TO TOP OFF THE OIL, WHICH IS ABOUT A QUATER OF A QUART THAT YOU WILL LOOSE FROM CHANGING THE FILTER.

Kalamidad
05-02-2003, 09:47 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ASTIG)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Phyxsius)</div><div class='quotemain'>My engine isn't tapping...at least not from inside the car. My engine only makes the unsolvable mystery gurgling sound https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif</div>

air pocket in the cooling system</div>

How can i take care of this?

boywaja
05-05-2003, 09:44 PM
dont know about you but my 2003 owners manual calls for oil changes at 7500, even for the first change. You all seem to be quoting numbers below that.

roger

FinalLast
05-05-2003, 10:22 PM
from what i've read so far
the tapping noise is normal for mits 2.4 engines

btw
i hate that tapping noise.
but there is nothing i can do about it.

ASTIG
05-06-2003, 12:28 AM

air pocket in the cooling system

How can i take care of this?

start the engine. remove the radiator cap. fill the reservoir to full line. keep revving the engine hard. the air pockets should be forced out after a while. if that fails take it to your dealer.

ASTIG
05-06-2003, 12:30 AM
...if you plan to keep oil in there for about 6000 mi or more I suggest replacing the filter every 3k mi and just topping off.

And just how do you replace the filter without changing the oil???

J

remove the filter. replace with a new filter. top it off. easy enough?

you dont have to remove the oil pan drain plug

BlankMan
05-07-2003, 01:23 PM
Got it - Just seems like taking a shower without changing your underwear, y'know? Kinda defeats the purpose...

J