PDA

View Full Version : How to: take off the dash/interior

Censee
02-06-2005, 02:19 PM
here it goes. ive taken apart my interior like 7 times and after couple of dos and donts ive learned

first. unplug battery terminals. i took both off because u dont want the airbag deplying on u while ure working.

u must remove all the ac vents,radio trim, and trims,these can be popped off with a thin flathead screwdriver. wrap the flathead with a cloth as to not damage the area around.(remember the hazard light has a plug that is connected so u need to unplug it when u remove that ac trim)

after all the vents and trims are off, u can take off the gauge bezel. this can be done by tilting the steering wheel down (for extra room). then there will be 2 screws inside above the bezel. removce those two screws and then pull up the entire bezel up and outward slowly. it will come off. be careful because there is a wire connected to the dimming switch that has to be unplugged before u pull the entire thing out. unplug the dimmer plug. then it should come out smoothly.

then remove the actual speedometer. this is just held up by 4 screws at each end. u will clearly see them at each corner,unscrew these, pull the speedometer outward. then disconnect the harness at each side at the back of the speedometer. theres 2..then it should come out nicely..

then,,go to the passenger side,,,theres one thing about the side passenger airbag,,if u want to remove ure dash ,,u will have to cut the nylon that holds that rectangle piece that sits over ure glove box,,,theres no way to take off the dash without cutting this nylon....this really doesnt affect ure airbag function,,the nylon belts are just there to hold that plastic trim in place....pop off the plastic piece and u will see its held on by yellow nylon,,,get some sciccors and cut these,,,should be 4,one at each side,,,,this doesnt affect the airbag function in any way,,,ure airbag will still work,,u just need to cut these to get the dash out.....

try and follow the steps because some parts cannot be taken off before others are removed...

then go to the glove box and open,take everything out....glove box is kinda just held up by hangers at the bottom that just pop up and out....first u have to open the glove box,,,push the side ends inside the glove box so the edges that hold the glove box at each side clear where they stop.this should take off the top part of it...then u just pull up and out at the bottomand unhook the 2 hangers that the box hangs ons to..then u should have it off..

then u can remove the side fuse covers,,,open the doors and u will see them on each side,,,,these just pop right off...the drivers side has a spot where u can just stick ure hand and pull it out easily,the other will have to be popped off with a flathead...

then u can remove the bottom section of the dash on the drivers side of the car....the part where the drivers knees would be at...this is easy,,its just held up by a couple of screws....one at each end..one by the fog light switch,one all the way to the right edge,,,and about 2 or 3 at the bottom sides..(bottom towarsd the back) u will see them just follow the panel piece....remove all screws and should come off... also remember to pop off the fog light switch trim and unplug the switch...

after this part is off u can go to the bottom part of the radio bezel.....the part that sits above ure ash tray/lighter....and sits under ure radio trim.....kinda sits like a U if u see it from the front...u will have to go where ure glovebox is(which should be off) and u will see where this part wraps wround untill inside of where the glove box was.....u will have to unscrew the gold screws that hold this piece up,,which should be above horizontally by where the glove box latch is,and towards the side on where the left side of the glove box would be.and at the bottom horizontally where the bottom of the glove box would be.....take off all the gold screws..then go to the other side,,,where the bottom panel where the drivers knees would be at,that u just removed before this,,,and u will see that there willl be more screws holding this piece together there should be around 2 or 3..one at the top and one towards the bottom,,,(by where the other screws were for the other panel).......unscrew them,,then u should take off the screws that are under ure radio trim which u should have taken off,,,take them all off...then after all the screws are off....u must wresltle with this piece to take it off because its really in there....u have to pull up and out...dont be afraid to pull it off,,if all ure screws are off u shouldnt break anything....this part is really snug in there especially with the center shifter panel...after a couple of tugs this poart should come off..

then go to ure pillars and pop them off,these just pop off,,again use a flathead,,,,,DONT LOSE THESE CLIPS...as soon as u take em off,,,sometimes they will stay stuck in the hole of the metal piece of the car,,,remove them with a plier and keep them for later use,,they can slip inside the hole because they are only held on because of the way they sit horizontally on the hole,,if they are touched or fooled around with too much they can slip inside,lost forevere....after this part is off,,u can go to the actual dash...first u must remove the main bolts that hold the dash together,,,,which are on the sides of where u took off the side fuse covers,,,there is going to be one gold big main bolt that sits at the end,,,its a 10mm i beilieve,,,it will sit all the way at the end so u cant miss it...that holds the sides of the dash in place....undo these and take em off....then there should be an identical bolt that sits behind where ure speedometer is,,(which should be off)...unbolt that one too....well now that ure entire bottom part of the dash is off,pillars,all the ac trims,,and radio trims....speedometer,pillars,,etc.......comes the part where u need to pull out the entire dash....u might need another persone for this one...put the steering wheel at its lowest position to give u more space to work with.......then u will grab a hold of the dash and pull up and outward,,,,,might seem like notheings happening at first but u must ..keep tugging with this thing untill u can get it off.....remember up and out.....use 2 people...when u finally get it loose,,,,most of the time its easier to get out by the passenger side,,so have both doors open.....after a couple of tugs and pulls should come up and out...then just slide it out towards the passenger side...

and bam..your done..

any questions?? feel free to ask..

here some pics after i put the dash back together after wrapping it..
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/553000-553999/553826_59_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/553000-553999/553826_58_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/553000-553999/553826_57_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/553000-553999/553826_78_full.jpg

BlankMan
02-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Y'know, this would probably be alot more helpful if it was more of a "list' than block-style paragraph... and included right puncuation.

But thanks for taking the time, I guess.

J

Censee
02-06-2005, 06:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Y'know, this would probably be alot more helpful if it was more of a "list' than block-style paragraph... and included right puncuation.

J</div>

yea ,,i was just bored,,,and threw it together

Censee
02-06-2005, 09:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Y'know, this would probably be alot more helpful if it was more of a "list' than block-style paragraph... and included right puncuation.

J</div>
"puncuation" dont u mean punctuation?

BlankMan
02-06-2005, 09:28 PM
I never claimed I could spell... LOL

J

Drastic
02-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Great job and very detailed. Thanks

Censee
02-06-2005, 09:30 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>I never claimed I could spell... LOL

J</div>hahah i never claimed i was good at making sentences or paragraphs..as a matter a fact i suck at it...if anyone wants to take my post and clean up the instructions u guys can go ahead

datapurge
02-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Hey man, that looks so sick!, when you say you "wrapped" it what do you mean? wrapped it with what? I'd like to do something like that, of course if I dont even know what wrapping is, i'd probably do a horrible job https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

TurboG03
02-12-2005, 07:49 PM
that looks sick as hell. i like that look you got going. did your doors already come with the plastic up at the top mine came with fuzzy crap?

datapurge
02-12-2005, 10:35 PM
oh and where did you relocate your a/c controls to? how?

mitsumotors
02-14-2005, 04:42 PM
that looks totally amazing. if you don't mind, could you give me the step by step on how to do exactly what you did. not taking the dash apart, but wrapping it. i have no idea how to do it but after seeing yours, i really want to do it.

scrapy
02-15-2005, 10:06 AM
VERY SIC!
I'm more interested in the doors & the shifter.

Is that leather or even fabric at all? HELP! I'm about to do my door panels.

& the shifter is just awesome...so, what the secret?

Censee
02-16-2005, 09:40 PM
thanks for the compliments,,,,everything is black vynil....by wrapping i meant upholstering,,i took off all the stock grey cloth and fabric and redid it with the vynil....,,,nothing on there is paint,,,,,i took off the entire cloth and material off dash and doors,,and reupholstered it,,,,,ill write a beter totorial on this and clean it up,,,,and ill make another one on how u can do the dash and doors ureself too....although its very delicate,,,,and many things can go wrong if u arent carefull...ill work on the tutorioal

Drastic
02-24-2005, 09:01 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Censee)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanks for the compliments,,,,everything is black vynil....by wrapping i meant upholstering,,i took off all the stock grey cloth and fabric and redid it with the vynil....,,,nothing on there is paint,,,,,i took off the entire cloth and material off dash and doors,,and reupholstered it,,,,,ill write a beter totorial on this and clean it up,,,,and ill make another one on how u can do the dash and doors ureself too....although its very delicate,,,,and many things can go wrong if u arent carefull...ill work on the tutorioal</div>

Are you still going to do the tutorial. No rush. I'm just eager to try mines. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Censee
03-16-2005, 01:14 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TurboG03)</div><div class='quotemain'>that looks sick as hell. i like that look you got going. did your doors already come with the plastic up at the top mine came with fuzzy crap?</div>

underneath all that fuzzy cloth is just plastic,,,which u have to remove all the glue and clean off before starting to wrap it..

Censee
03-16-2005, 01:16 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(datapurge)</div><div class='quotemain'>oh and where did you relocate your a/c controls to? how?</div> my ac controls are relocated in my glove box.....my friend chris (soltero112) just extended the wiring....although i dont have heat,,it doesnt matter because i dont need it in hot ass miami

Censee
03-16-2005, 01:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drastic)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Censee)</div><div class='quotemain'>thanks for the compliments,,,,everything is black vynil....by wrapping i meant upholstering,,i took off all the stock grey cloth and fabric and redid it with the vynil....,,,nothing on there is paint,,,,,i took off the entire cloth and material off dash and doors,,and reupholstered it,,,,,ill write a beter totorial on this and clean it up,,,,and ill make another one on how u can do the dash and doors ureself too....although its very delicate,,,,and many things can go wrong if u arent carefull...ill work on the tutorioal</div>

Are you still going to do the tutorial. No rush. I'm just eager to try mines. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif</div> sorry man ive been just busy as hell with school and work,,ill write it up soon,,hopefully better organized than this one

SJDGTZ
04-04-2005, 12:13 PM
thanks for the help

sjd

Chero2000
04-15-2005, 10:43 AM
That IS SICK man!!!! :evil:

I LOVE that Interior!

I live in Florida How about I just bring my car to you and you whatever the hell you just did there on mine!

LOL!! :!: :!: :!:

Serstylz2
04-15-2005, 07:49 PM
if i were to attempt to make my interior look like this http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/414000-414999/414856_27_full.jpg

would i have to do the cutting n stuff u talked about or is the glove box seperate from all that

Censee
04-18-2005, 05:01 PM
o btw if any of u gys want ure interiors done i can do them,,if u are interested PM me

Censee
04-18-2005, 05:03 PM
if i were to attempt to make my interior look like this http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/414000-414999/414856_27_full.jpg

would i have to do the cutting n stuff u talked about or is the glove box seperate from all that
is that all paint??/,,,,anyways there is no cutting involved excpet fpor the airbag straps....everything else screws on and off

SPEEDDEMON03
05-01-2005, 01:34 AM
where did you go for the material and about how much does it run?

galantv600
05-01-2005, 02:48 AM
from what i remmeber talking to him, he just got his stuff from a material store. even if he didnt, id guess thats your best bet other than internet!

SPEEDDEMON03
05-01-2005, 03:50 AM
your probably right just wanted to make sure i did everything right

don't wanna fuc anything up

Serstylz2
05-01-2005, 10:02 AM
looks like paint, im gonna take a crack at it back home

Rts54321
06-08-2005, 11:02 PM
i want to get a screen in my dash like that, but still keep the a/c controls there .... do u make custom pieces to put there? bc if u dont, u should haha... id probably pay for one.... i think i could probably make one, but im too nervous to test it out on my car... if it was a pile of crap maybe id do it haha im really interested in this. i wish i lived in miami im frekaing stuck in ohio.... let me know what u got to offer... i could take it off and send u the piece and u could make it custom with the measurements i dont know just throwin this out there.... thanks man ...

Censee
06-10-2005, 09:18 PM
well u dont have to move ure ac,, u can just move ure radioe instead.. i do the fiberglassing work,,,,,just let me know if u are interested,,,,mailing the pieces is super easy..

Rts54321
06-14-2005, 09:35 PM
im interested in gettign somethin done, but how much is it going to run me? i mean i wouldnt put a rush on it, so you could really take ur time and just do it whenever u had free time.... let me know what an offer would be, i would just have to either send u my piece or buy another one and send it to u

wadecounty8g
09-20-2005, 10:50 PM
dam thats a nice interior

Censee
10-07-2005, 08:09 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rts54321)</div><div class='quotemain'>im interested in gettign somethin done, but how much is it going to run me? i mean i wouldnt put a rush on it, so you could really take ur time and just do it whenever u had free time.... let me know what an offer would be, i would just have to either send u my piece or buy another one and send it to u</div>

yea it depends what part u want done... send me a PM on whatpart u want done..,,, u dont know how many people ask me this and then never go through so let me know if u are surely interested......

GaLaNt_03
08-06-2007, 10:45 PM
couple days ago i just took out tha interior jsut to see if i can do it....i did it pretty quick...thanks man...

projectGTZ
10-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Good creativity! Definitly high quality, good job and mad props.

galant101
10-07-2007, 10:18 PM
what would be the price tag on a center console like that? what kind of screen do you use for that and how much would it cost for both together. pm me please. very interested.

galant101
10-07-2007, 10:18 PM
what would be the price tag on a center console like that? what kind of screen do you use for that and how much would it cost for both together. pm me please. very interested.

Jeffylou87
04-26-2008, 11:27 PM
This is where I put my radio...

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/jeffylou87/DSC08728.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i59/jeffylou87/DSC08725.jpg

spdracr
04-27-2008, 12:44 AM
i wonder where the OP put his climate control unit

MJ2002
06-26-2008, 03:09 AM
that looks really nice, i'm considering on doing this on my car! thank you for posting

galantheater
12-09-2008, 07:02 PM
i have done everything you said and still for the life of me cannot get the dash off. explain the last part of removing the pillars agaain. where are they located? i might have already removed them without knowing. my father and i cannnot pull the dash off at all. there is no way the sob is coming off at all. completed all the above and the dash is stuck in the front near the windshield. is there a trick because up and out dosnt work for me. i need help this is a $500 repair that i can do without. but i do live in minnesota...

RastaAlejandro
05-23-2009, 03:25 PM
OK i just finished doing this as much as it was a PITA I'm amazed and really happy with the way it came out (sorry no pics yet i got to save up for a good camera). how ever next time i'm just going to tape it all off and paint it there :p. Anyways thank you for the tut censee

galant9324
02-15-2010, 12:21 AM
im thinking of warping my dash in carbon fiber vinyl

Jeffylou87
02-15-2010, 12:56 AM
The sun will kill it over time.. I don't know of anyone here who has done it though.. Just a guess..

o1naturalhigh
02-15-2010, 03:44 AM
I don't know of anyone here who has done it though.. Just a guess..

wrong...i believe cali's white g had this. if i remember correctly, though.

Prophet
02-15-2010, 09:32 AM
I don't think Cali used carbon fiber vinyl... his is actual carbon fiber...

o1naturalhigh
02-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Ah. I thought it was wrapped n some red cf vinyl

Prophet
02-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Ah. I thought it was wrapped n some red cf vinyl

lol... that guy has so many Galant's and so much carbon fiber you might be right...

254reese
02-19-2010, 03:18 AM
You can remove the airbag out of the dash without cutting the nylon straps. The straps wouldn't be as thick as they are if they didn't serve a purpose. There iis enough slack in the straps to "pop" the cover out of it place on the dash and once you remove the four bolts under the airbag housing, the whole unit will push up from the bottom, cover and all. Actually if I remember correctly I used the airbag unit itself to push the cover off of the dash. When you reinstall the airbag, the cover pops back in just like any other panel in the car. If you haven't already done so, take your time and try it without cutting those straps, for the sake of your passengers.

Reelax
02-19-2010, 04:11 AM
just to calrify...

CALI's old interior from the white car:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/jdmgalant4g63T/Modified%20Mag%20Shoot/_H0J3143.jpg

the soft parts are red alcantara (to match the seats) and the hard parts are real carbon fiber wrapped (gloss resin).

bonus...

here is BILLET's interior:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/SexyAssMilkshake/MOD%202009/102_0023.jpg

red alcantara and CF fabric (no resin)

Prophet
02-19-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks Reelax!

RastaAlejandro
02-19-2010, 11:23 AM
hot^

Da_Prodigy
02-19-2010, 12:35 PM
wonder how much cash cali used on his interior

Reelax
02-22-2010, 03:01 AM
wonder how much cash cali used on his interior

never asked him, but i'd guess $5000+ and he did the CF work himself.

o1naturalhigh
02-22-2010, 09:26 AM
i wonder if when i saw his car at HIN, and saw the red Cf dash...i'm thinking...was it just my imagination? or not....maybe all the weed and alcohol made me see things different?? i will never know... lol