PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs

maximus99
02-09-2005, 09:27 PM
I did a search on some sites,the latest was Gearhead Racing Parts,for plugs for my 99 V6,& I got choices for 2 Denso's,4 Bosch,& 1 NGK.I've seen some references from you guys liking the Denso Iridiums and they list 2 choices for those...IK20 F1000-87613 and PK20PR11 ND F1000-32952.Are there big differences? And which ones the best choice?

bjarvis
02-10-2005, 02:43 AM
The only advantage of platinum/iridium plugs is that they last longer than copper plugs, typically 60-100k miles instead of 30k miles. Copper plugs generally perform better provided you change them on schedule.

Therefore, unless changing the plugs on the V6 is hard [its really easy on the I4], I'd just go with the stock NGK V-Power line.

01GalantLSV6
02-10-2005, 10:52 AM
Therefore, unless changing the plugs on the V6 is hard [its really easy on the I4], I'd just go with the stock NGK V-Power line.

thats the problem...changing them on the V6 is hard, or at least time consuming. 3 of them are easy to access, but the other 3 require some more involved tooling around, im not exactly sure how hard it is but i have seen posts relating to v6 spark plug changing being a pain in the ass.

LasVegas01
02-10-2005, 11:53 AM

thats the problem...changing them on the V6 is hard, or at least time consuming. 3 of them are easy to access, but the other 3 require some more involved tooling around, im not exactly sure how hard it is but i have seen posts relating to v6 spark plug changing being a pain in the ass.

I second that. I was trying to get my wires installed and plugs changed and they were saying that there was a lot of labor involved in taking things off to get to the other 3 spark plugs. I have been getting quotes around $300-$400 for a tune-up...

pinoyesv6
02-10-2005, 12:18 PM
platinum/iriduim for the v6 unless you are running mods that say differently or you want to keep changing your plugs.

but yea, i think there are like a dozen bolts you have to remove to get to the rear bank of plugs. people say its a 2 hour job. i'll be doing mine next weekend. waiting on my ngk plugs and wires to come in. but i'll be attempting that myself. to me its only 12 bolts. and for the amount that i would pay a shop to do it, i could be spending on other things. like valentine's day and bills.

Fishboy55
02-10-2005, 09:02 PM
platinum/iriduim for the v6 unless you are running mods that say differently or you want to keep changing your plugs.

but yea, i think there are like a dozen bolts you have to remove to get to the rear bank of plugs. people say its a 2 hour job. i'll be doing mine next weekend. waiting on my ngk plugs and wires to come in. but i'll be attempting that myself. to me its only 12 bolts. and for the amount that i would pay a shop to do it, i could be spending on other things. like valentine's day and bills.
i hope ur valentines day pays off in spades allan...when removing the plenum the best advice i can give you is to keep track of where evey bolt goes...there are a number of different lengths that are specific to certain holes... when i took mine off, i wished i hadnt....good luck and take notes. the tutorial on here is very accurate and helpful.

maximus99
02-10-2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah,I havent even got a manual yet,but I'll have to think about whether I want to tackle plugs & wires on my V6 or not... :roll: Speaking of maint. manuals,which ones best...Chilton,Haynes... :?:

8G_GTZ
02-10-2005, 10:30 PM
i prefer chiltons. best known in the business and have been around a long time.

steve

pinoyesv6
02-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Yeah,I havent even got a manual yet,but I'll have to think about whether I want to tackle plugs & wires on my V6 or not... :roll: Speaking of maint. manuals,which ones best...Chilton,Haynes... :?:

here's a tutorial on how to change the plugs and wires
http://home.pacbell.net/fong8/gstuff/tjc_plenum.htm ('http://home.pacbell.net/fong8/gstuff/tjc_plenum.htm')

you might also want to check out the distributor cap and rotor while you're down there.

as for manuals, there are only 2 that i know of that cater more specifically for the 8g. The factory service manual and the haynes manual. If you search through tgc you can find a number of links to download the FSM for free. I don't own a haynes manual but i've flipped through it at the store and used ones from other cars and the haynes manual is also nice because to me its a little bit more user friendly.

maximus99
02-10-2005, 10:49 PM

here's a tutorial on how to change the plugs and wires
http://home.pacbell.net/fong8/gstuff/tjc_plenum.htm ('http://home.pacbell.net/fong8/gstuff/tjc_plenum.htm')

you might also want to check out the distributor cap and rotor while you're down there.

as for manuals, there are only 2 that i know of that cater more specifically for the 8g. The factory service manual and the haynes manual. If you search through tgc you can find a number of links to download the FSM for free. I don't own a haynes manual but i've flipped through it at the store and used ones from other cars and the haynes manual is also nice because to me its a little bit more user friendly.Thanks.I was in a parts store looking thru a rack of mostly Haynes,but they didnt have one.And I wouldnt mind downloading the service manual,but I'm using dial-up,so wouldnt it take hrs? :roll: I have a Haynes manual for my Vette & my Olds,but I find some info very lacking.

maximus99
02-26-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm having my plugs & wires done the same time that I'm getting my drive and timing belts changed.Also getting a new waterpump.I'm expecting a bill around $850! :shock: But this should put my mind at ease for at least,how long for belts?,around 50,000 miles? How often a change for platinum plugs and the wires?

pinoyesv6
02-26-2005, 11:34 PM
the platinum plugs last about 60k. the same with the timing belt. the wires can last longer but i changed them anyways since i was already there. they don't cost much either.

check the distributor cap and rotor too.

maximus99
02-27-2005, 12:03 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'>the platinum plugs last about 60k. the same with the timing belt. the wires can last longer but i changed them anyways since i was already there. they don't cost much either.

check the distributor cap and rotor too.</div>I'll mention cap & rotor when I drop it off on the 8th.Thanx

ryans99es2.4
02-27-2005, 12:55 AM
we have distributor caps? i thought having coilpacks knocks out the fact of distributor caps? :?:

pinoyesv6
02-27-2005, 12:56 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryans99es2.4)</div><div class='quotemain'>we have distributor caps? i thought having coilpacks knocks out the fact of distributor caps? :?:</div>

the v6's have distributors. thus needing a cap.

ryans99es2.4
02-27-2005, 12:58 AM
ahhhh, i see

<<<stupid with i4

maximus99
02-27-2005, 12:59 AM
I guess I'm looking at closer to $900 now! :shock: :roll:

pinoyesv6
02-27-2005, 01:13 AM
the tutorial for the plugs and wires is pretty good. the pictures really help.

it took me like maybe 4 hours, maybe a lil more to do my plugs and wires.

spent less that 100 bucks on parts. that includes, plugs, wires, hose clamps (optional), anti seize and dielectric grease.

i guess the hardest part for me was bening over to work on a lowered car for such a long time. i shoulda raised the front end some, i know my knees were killing me after a few house.

there's also a tutorial out there for the distributor cap and rotor. i haven't purchased those yet but the tutorial looks simple. took a look at everything when i did my wires and i found everything pretty simple.