PDA

View Full Version : 4 to 5 lug conversion

dre24k
10-06-2002, 01:29 PM
i want to get some 5 lug rims because i dont want to pay big bucks for more rims on my galant. so if i get 5 lug rims then i can find a better car that the rims will fit since most new good cars are 5 lug now. Does anyone know where i can purchase these 4 to 5 lug adapters and rims. Will there be any problems with this setup. I want 19-20" rims. i will probably put wood blocks under my springs to raise the car. ghetto but has been done in dallas on many cars. stratus, civics, accords siitin on 20"s with no problems> please help. critism is necessary in this situation.

Dark Anghell
10-09-2002, 09:16 PM
20" are not gonna fit for sure. Unless you take some suspencion pieces out, or replace your steering nuckle with another one. Aslo the rims would need to have crazy offse if you are going to put a conversion SPACER in there. That thing will be like 1" thick! Unless you're going wide body, then there's enough space.

My suggestion is to get the stuff from eclipse RS, they use drums in the back as well. This way you will have a 5 lug, but it will be done properly.

2True
10-10-2002, 02:11 AM
20's would be nearly impossible.
19's would require a large bit of fender roll, but possible. I'd also be worried about rolling around on 205/30/R19 tires, that's like the lowest pro you can go you know LOL

4 to 5 lug conversions are dangerous too. Get the 4 lug and if you do ever get a new ride then you can demand more on the trade in because of the tight ass rims you have on it. Those are the RS-6 you have on there now right Dre? THose are tight man, why get rid of them?[/b]

evil-G-nius
10-10-2002, 11:00 PM
Uh...whats the big deal, I mean why switch to 5 lug? What purpose does it serve? Just get universaly drilled rims, thats what I did

TJC
10-10-2002, 11:57 PM
I agree with Kimya; why do it. Converters extend the wheel out further and makes it nearly impossible to find wheels that will stay under the fender. It's hard enough to find decent offset on a wheel and to put an extra converter behind the wheel that makes it come out farther is not the only bad point. By extended the wheel out farther, you put additional stress on the axle and suspension components.

There are a lot of great wheels in both 4 bolt and 5 bolt patterns. Take the extra time to shop around for designs that come in both bolt paterns or just 4 bolt. I'm sure you can find something decent.

If you really like a 5-bolt only wheel, post it here and we'll help you look for an equivalent in 4-bolt. Good luck.

dre24k
10-11-2002, 02:16 PM
The only reason that I want a 5 lug wheel is because if im gonna pay $2500 for some rims and tires then I want to be able to put them on my next luxury sedan example Millenia, Avalon, Maxima, etc. All of the big bodies that I like are 5 lug. Its not worth the money to put into the 4 lug because there are only few cars with 4 lugs that even fit 20" rims. That a big investment just trying to make it last forever. Im garaging the Galant in two years and getting something Bigger. I have the money for the rims now so Im just trying to work something out for the galant in the mean time. Thanks for the opinions. The stratus and civics in Dallas roll on 20"'s with lifters and blocks or taller spring. This does not require too much fender roll cuz the car will be taller than the wheel. I will be rolling on 235/30/20. Im selling my rims and tires for $800 plus shipping.

TJC
10-11-2002, 07:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dre24k)</div><div class='quotemain'>The only reason that I want a 5 lug wheel is because if im gonna pay $2500 for some rims and tires then I want to be able to put them on my next luxury sedan example Millenia, Avalon, Maxima, etc. All of the big bodies that I like are 5 lug. Its not worth the money to put into the 4 lug because there are only few cars with 4 lugs that even fit 20" rims. That a big investment just trying to make it last forever. Im garaging the Galant in two years and getting something Bigger. I have the money for the rims now so Im just trying to work something out for the galant in the mean time. Thanks for the opinions. The stratus and civics in Dallas roll on 20"'s with lifters and blocks or taller spring. This does not require too much fender roll cuz the car will be taller than the wheel. I will be rolling on 235/30/20. Im selling my rims and tires for $800 plus shipping.</div>

Well if you're going to think that far down the line, you should know there are different size 5 lugs too. And the offset for the Galant WITH adapters might also not work with your future ride. If you are going to keep your ride up just to fit 20's, you better find a body kit that drops pretty low to make your ride height look decent or you'd be 4x4in'.

Dark Anghell
10-13-2002, 03:03 PM
I have to agree with TGC, there's a mazda millenia with 20's on it, and damn that thing is ugly! It looks like my friends truck with a 9" lift. Personally galants look better when they are lowered. Once again...I think that the wheels are not going to fit. I can't figure out how you can put 20's on a civic. My friend had some 18's and they barely fit, he had to roll the fenders, etc.

Make sure that if you are going to get the wheels, that the offset will match the offset on the future car you are going to get. Because galants take +45, but maxima might take +40 or something like that.

dre24k
10-13-2002, 03:17 PM
I dont know about you but I don't want to be 25 years old rolling a lowered 98 Galant on some 18"s. It will be 2006; Im trying to move up not be stuck with this cheap mitsubishi. I like my car now but I have bigger and better plans and 20"s are a must. Regardless if I put em on my galant first or not, i'll be taking first place in the lifted Millenia on 20"s with seven screens...rolling over the galant owners thinking about how i've been there and done it...

evil-G-nius
10-13-2002, 04:35 PM
Honestly I think 20"s are a waist of money! After a certain size they take away from the look of the car. You figure you put 20 or better on a car with 30 series tires, you are driving like a bitch now because you dont wanna dent the rims on a pot hole or railroad track. They are just something that music icons and big stars started to do and now the rim companies are exploiting those of us, working people, who have to save for a little while to get them! Why not buy some nice 19", boost the performance of the car and a bangin stereo. You will still be pimpin and you will still turn heads. I think that these young kids out here tryin to get 20's or better to be cool (Not necessarily you) should seriously get a job and stop askin mom and dad for shit and then they might have a little more idea of what it takes to make a car look nice and not down those who cant afford it! Like when you say you have seen civics with dubs! That is pointless and rediculous!!! MY OPINION FELLAS

Dark Anghell
10-13-2002, 08:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dre24k)</div><div class='quotemain'>I dont know about you but I don't want to be 25 years old rolling a lowered 98 Galant on some 18"s. It will be 2006; Im trying to move up not be stuck with this cheap mitsubishi. I like my car now but I have bigger and better plans and 20"s are a must. Regardless if I put em on my galant first or not, i'll be taking first place in the lifted Millenia on 20"s with seven screens...rolling over the galant owners thinking about how i've been there and done it...</div>

Rolling on 20's doesn't give you first place automatically, not having 7 screens, all it shows is that you don't know a way to spend your money (not trying to offend you, just expressing my opinion). I bet if I have no tv's in your car and some very nice and rare 17's I'll beat you at the show. Most of the judges don't look at how expensive your car is, just how clean it looks.

If you hate galant so much, then why not get a new car right now and put the rims onto that, instead of spending time and doing the wooden blocks in your suspension.

On the other hand...get the 20's...make sure those things stop though, and wooden blocks don't crack and fall apart when you are driving.

brandon
10-14-2002, 12:00 PM
Yeah what's up with the diss on the Galant?

If you don't like your Galant, Pavel makes a good point, why not get rid of the thing now and spend that money on buying a new car?

If you wanna customize a car, 20's and a bunch of TVs are certainly not very "custom" anymore. Making your ride your own and no one elses is what will make you win 1st place at a show.

Being rich doesn't get you EVERYTHING at life, even though it may seem that way to some.

dre24k
10-14-2002, 12:42 PM
Thanks for all the opinions....Kimya 19"s and 20"s cost the same. No one wants to dent rims on a pothole whether they are 17"s or 20"s. No way in hell a galant on 17"s will score higher than a Millenia on 20"s with seven screens or even my galant now with the 18"s. My galant is clean but is still a cheap Mitsubishi...we have sooooo many problems with them. I dont hate my galant but it is cheap worth bout $4000 stock. I just want a bigger car Millenia better rims 20"s and too many tvs...seven. The reason Im not getting rid of the galant now is cuz I still want to show these hondas in my hood that they aint shit til I graduate college in 2004. Stayin screened out peace.

RMG612
10-15-2002, 08:06 PM
Why not just wait on the rims till you get a new car then?

evil-G-nius
10-15-2002, 08:50 PM
seriously wait! Plus it depends on what brand you get weather or not 19s or 20s cost the same. They are in different size categories...obviously. Just save your money like everyone says and skip getting that shit for the galant , and then trying to transfer it later. Plus you gotta remember that the offset for the G-ride is completely different than the millenia! Most companies are similiar within themselves, like the galant and the eclipse are made on the same platform. But Mitsu and Mazda are completey different, so you would just be waisting your time and money!

Dark Anghell
10-15-2002, 11:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kimya)</div><div class='quotemain'>seriously wait! Plus it depends on what brand you get weather or not 19s or 20s cost the same. They are in different size categories...obviously. Just save your money like everyone says and skip getting that shit for the galant , and then trying to transfer it later. Plus you gotta remember that the offset for the G-ride is completely different than the millenia! Most companies are similiar within themselves, like the galant and the eclipse are made on the same platform. But Mitsu and Mazda are completey different, so you would just be waisting your time and money!</div>

It's a waste of your time, not the money. You're talking to a man with 7 tv's in one car...let the man win the 1st. places at the shows by having the car full of tvs and some wheels that are too big for this particular car.

Once again...just my opinion...do what you want to do https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

pinoyesv6
10-15-2002, 11:47 PM
here is my say, just go ahead and get whatever 4 lug wheels u want for the galant. if you are lucky it will have 9 holes for both patterns. uhm chances are if you are still spending this much money on the lant, your gonna have the lant for a few more months so just get whatever and when u get your new car, just buy a different set of rims and sell the old ones. i mean a few months could mean that u get sick of the style, or it doesnt match your new car, or even the wheels might get damaged.

i mean if you think about it, how much is it gonna cost to convert to 5 lug? and then when u sell the car what are u gonna do? covert back to 4? or buy another set of 5 lug wheels to sell with the car? its gonna be hard to sell a car without wheels. and it might not be cost efficient to do the conversion. also the tires, you might just need new tires for the new car? tires can be expensive too, chances are your new car won't have the same circumference as the galant.

seth98esT
10-16-2002, 12:54 AM
the eclipse has a version where the rears are disc brakes, not drums right?

maybe you should just convert the rear to discs along with replacing the fronts...kill 2 birds with 1 stone

pinoyesv6
10-16-2002, 12:56 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth)</div><div class='quotemain'>the eclipse has a version where the rears are disc brakes, not drums right?

maybe you should just convert the rear to discs along with replacing the fronts...kill 2 birds with 1 stone</div>

yes they do. to make things even easier, the 3g eclipse and the 8g galant share many of the rear brake parts as the 2g eclipse discs