PDA

View Full Version : Galant Options

cdaw2001ES
08-10-2002, 09:10 PM
I've been reading this site, seeing all the options I can do to my I4 motor. Here is a run down of my budget based on todays prices.

Phase 1, (ASAP) $1000 est HP 157
CAI Simple mod
(Cone Filter on MAS), removal of Stock resonators, and intake.
Headers, and Cat back mod
Fuel Presure regulator Air/Fuel (RPW?)

Phase Two (12 Months) $1200 + Labor HP 162
CAI Full mod
Fuel Pump
Throttle Body
Injectors

Phase 3 (18 Months)$3200 + Labor HP ???200
5-9 psi Turbo
Computer (full control *if available)

Phase 4 (24 Months) $2700 HP ???215
Port and Pollish
Pistons, Rings,
Cam, *crank if available
Flywheel, and any Trany tweaks available.

Phase 5 (32 Months)$3000 HP ???215
Rims, Tires, Suspension

Phase 6 (48 Months)$5000 HP ???? 350
NOS and Body Kit ( as much carbon as possible), weight redux.

I belive by the end of this , I will have tacked on over $20G's to the car.
Will it be worth it in HP Terms. I'm looking for tragic 0 - 80's 4~5 seconds, can it be done?

Or should I stay stock and continue my hunt for a Supra GT TT?

T.S.
08-10-2002, 09:52 PM
0-80 in 4-5 seconds sound like a crazy dream for a galant, most cars cant even get to 60 that fast.

If you have the money to spend, go for the TT Supra, I have seen a few supras built to over 1000HP, But lots of people have them over 500.

The galant would be alot cheaper than a supra though, and alot of people stick with the galant just because they love the look of it.

J. T. Z.
08-10-2002, 10:02 PM
0-80 in 4-5 seconds? Like T.S. said if you want speed like that stick with a sports car like the Supra. I don't know if those kinds of numbers are even achievable with a Galant. That is unless you do an engine swap with a concord (the jet not the car). https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif But really, if you want and have that kind of money to put into your car I say more power to ya. You may wind up with the fastest G ride on the planet.

cdaw2001ES
08-10-2002, 10:07 PM
I love the look too!
What do you think the MAX WHP, and 0-60 would be?

I'm in Ohio, I dont see many supras that arn't rusted to shit, beat to hell, and ready to die. But I'm still looking....
JT

J. T. Z.
08-10-2002, 10:14 PM
As far as the speed and hp I don't think anyone could give you a real number. It would greatly depend on what products you put inthe car, in which order you do them, a good person to ask would be Craig (G96NT). He has a vast knowledge of the engines and components in our cars.

cdaw2001ES
08-10-2002, 11:10 PM
Whats wrong with the headers and Turbo esp cinsidering 5-9PSI. I want the new pistons after I've tweaked the turbo. - I actually plan on blowing the engine during the threshold tuning. Rebuilding with better parts just before the nos.

I'm actually leaning on not doing it at all. Supra's on ebay. $35K fully te-weaked

pinoyesv6
08-10-2002, 11:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cdaw2001ES)</div><div class='quotemain'>Whats wrong with the headers and Turbo esp cinsidering 5-9PSI. I want the new pistons after I've tweaked the turbo. - I actually plan on blowing the engine during the threshold tuning. Rebuilding with better parts just before the nos.

I'm actually leaning on not doing it at all. Supra's on ebay. $35K fully te-weaked</div>

uhm, when u get the turbo...you're gonna have to get rid of the header...since you won't need it. and yea, if you do the internals frist, not only do you only have to install the turbo once...but you tweet it less. just saves u money. might even consider doing everythign at once for a big bang effect

cdaw2001ES
08-11-2002, 12:07 AM
Whoa - I guess I'm completely confused. The head connects the exhaust to the tail pipe. (in simple terms) -- With turbo - you don't have exhaust???????????????????
Or is it that the Kit comes with a new header with somethin special???
I'm not there yet - - anyway - my roadmap is 36 months. I don't want to drive stock for 36 months. Cant afford to do it all at once. A little boost at a time.

pinoyesv6
08-11-2002, 12:19 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cdaw2001ES)</div><div class='quotemain'>Whoa - I guess I'm completely confused. The head connects the exhaust to the tail pipe. (in simple terms) -- With turbo - you don't have exhaust???????????????????
Or is it that the Kit comes with a new header with somethin special???
I'm not there yet - - anyway - my roadmap is 36 months. I don't want to drive stock for 36 months. Cant afford to do it all at once. A little boost at a time.</div>

with a normal exhaust, im summing things up, exhaust comes out of the exhaust valve(s) and goes into the headers, goes thru a maze of pipes and cats resonators, muffler and out the tail pipe.

with a turbo, the exhaust comes out of the exhaust valve(s) goes thru an exhaust manifold, goes thru a maze of piping ot the turbo. the gasesses turn a turbine in the turbo, and then yea out thru the maze of piping similar to the one with a conventional exhasut

as for tyhe exhaust manifold, does it come with it, most kits do but check with the person you are buying ti from to make sure

Auto-9
08-11-2002, 01:11 AM
0 to 80 in 4 to 5 seconds? Man I hope you're talking about 0 to 80 in kilometers per hour...cause not even a Corvette can do that. Maybe the super tweaked L 'vettes and the Henessey Venoms but good lord...best of luck to you.

burthold
08-11-2002, 01:33 AM
I hate to say it.... You are being overly optimistic to push 350hp at the crank on the I4. You are looking at general post on this board and other places. I agree with pinoy you are waisting a ton of money. If you are going to be able to sack away 20k in two years I would sit on the money and drive your car for now. wait for the aftermarket to catch up with the 3g eclipse and then start really having fun. Spend some money up front lay out what your end goal is with a good speed shop in your area and start buying the parts you are going to need to reach that goal.

I would look at rods and pistions lower and upper rebuild they have cams out if I'm not mistaken get your crank bladed do everything you are going to need to do to the motor before you bother with the turbo. You want to do this right. If you are staying with an automatic tranny shell out the 3k to get a rebuild from L10 and have that installed. Headers and catback will have to be junked if you go with a turbo later. if you get a catback big enough for a good turbo i.e. 3 in its gonna suck to drive this car for quite a while. There are lots and lots of things you are not looking at.

Put this into perspective a camero SS manual tranny setting at 320hp only pulls a 5.2 0-60 on a good day.

Good luck with your project! Don't be afraid to talk and rethink it over and over. If you are like me this will be my last ride for quite a while.

Wes

cdaw2001ES
08-11-2002, 02:31 AM
Well - I'm glad I'm getting responses to my Tragic 0-80
If the headers and Cat are only $375 ..., I don't mid wasting the cash for improvements for a couple of years.
Shall I look for a engine and tranny swap. Get it tweaked out on the stand, then drop it in when its time to go. just use conventional mods till then. Then I'll have a Spare I4 withNormal mods to drop in should I kill the - Lets say motor and trany from a rusted out supra https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

- - - -

If they can take a Legacy, combine it with an Escudo, and give it 600HP. I can't see why I can;t get a stock 140HP -- BIG 4, tweak to rev high, put in a crazy tranny (top speed 110 at 6000K in 4th)
Get slicks on the front, puch the pedal - squirt the juice, and be on my way~

- Ive been playing way too much Grand Turismo 2 :shock: on my PS one, in the car ....

JT

Black2k1GTZ
08-11-2002, 08:22 PM
I dont think 320 is too optomistic. Ive spoken with a very reputable shop in california that says they will have my car pushing close to 500hp!!!!!!!! I have been asked to use my car as a protoype for some new parts for the 8g Galant/3G eclipse/2gStratus engine. I'm not going to say exactly what yet...but it will be interesting!!!!!! I have been thinking it over for a while and have talked to alot of people about different aspects of the engine and have a combination that will have me running hopefully in the 12's if not lower...

Stay tuned to find out......

Marc :mg:

cdaw2001ES
08-11-2002, 08:37 PM
Most definatley staying tuned for that!!!!!

Do you have V6 or I4?

J. T. Z.
08-11-2002, 09:05 PM
C'mon Marc don't post something like that without even a hint. Give us something.

whokilledhoughes
04-22-2006, 12:20 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Black2k1GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>I dont think 320 is too optomistic. Ive spoken with a very reputable shop in california that says they will have my car pushing close to 500hp!!!!!!!! Â*I have been asked to use my car as a protoype for some new parts for the 8g Galant/3G eclipse/2gStratus engine. I'm not going to say exactly what yet...but it will be interesting!!!!!! Â* I have been thinking it over for a while and have talked to alot of people about different aspects of the engine and have a combination that will have me running hopefully in the 12's if not lower...

Stay tuned to find out......

Marc :mg:</div>

OLD POST..but what happen???did u get the 500hp :shock:

GoldGalant [Reborn]
04-22-2006, 12:45 AM
Damn old post :evil:

Kalamidad
04-22-2006, 12:47 AM
he doesn't post here anymore...there's your answer.

no one has hit 500 on an 8G.

stopfakn
04-22-2006, 01:13 AM
Okay everyone most likely agrees that a G will never hit 500hp but can anyone say why. I'm talking about engine swap, tranny swap, turbo/super charger, Nitrous, and what ever mod that can possibly done to the G and we'll still never hit 500hp? Sucks if you ask me. I 've heard about a hyundai hitting upper 500's. So what is the highest we can go? BTW cdaw2001ES good luck with that shit. Hope you succeed.

gravy
04-22-2006, 01:35 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stopfakn)</div><div class='quotemain'>Okay everyone most likely agrees that a G will never hit 500hp but can anyone say why. I'm talking about engine swap, tranny swap, turbo/super charger, Nitrous, and what ever mod that can possibly done to the G and we'll still never hit 500hp? Sucks if you ask me. I 've heard about a hyundai hitting upper 500's. So what is the highest we can go? BTW cdaw2001ES good luck with that shit. Hope you succeed.</div>

Its is possible its just no one has done it .............yet at least in a galant that I know of. There are a few reasons

1) The cost to do it
2) The will to do it
3) Fwd isnt always hp friendly
4) Most people rather buy a fast car than build one

The 4g63t as we all know can handle 500 so its not that. With a few transmission upgrade it would be far from impossible

snowman
04-22-2006, 01:56 AM
ok.. what about 0-60 in 6 seconds, is that possible..?

Xrs2
04-22-2006, 11:10 AM
I have an GTZ with IHE and my fastest 0-60 was about 6.5 seconds. That was with a solid launch and no spin really. On average im at about 0-60 in 7 secs.

I have a relzo 2600 in now, so I imagine it could be faster. I also need to get my TB bored, my throttle respone could be better.

I used one of the gtech car computer things to monitor my upgrades. it went like this

My 0-60 times with various mods.

But somewhere in there I removed the spare tire, and then later added an xbox. Either way I am under stock weight barely.

Stock, don't know but read it is around 9
AEM CAI ~8.25
CMF Headers ~7-7.25
DYNOMAX Catback + tuneup ~7

Best was like ~6.5. Note I DO NOT launch my car, I go from full standstill idle RPM. I DO NOT brake launch to test mods.

I haven't gotten off my ass and done it yet with the Relzo, but it feels stronger.

My next thing is gonna be TB bore, or underdrive pulleys if I can find some good ones that wont throw some codes at me.

I have an 02 GTZ with about 75k on the clock.

Jet Black
04-22-2006, 11:40 AM
^Dude 6.5 is an almost unbelievable improvement. You should consider grabbing a SAFC and tuning it for your mods.

Xrs2
04-22-2006, 11:57 AM
I have been thinking about it, but I'm not looking forward to wiring it.

I am pretty sure I am only running rich at WOT, I assume this bc the preformance has been pretty solid. But I am not sure. Is there any other way I could tune without a safc. Something more mechanical/less wiring. Like a afpr or something?

I may just wait for the mynes ECU tune thing to pan out also. That seems to be the best way to go, if they can make it work for our cars. I am not sure if our ECUs are 100% the same or close enough.

My next/last major mod will prolly be RPW cams and gears, and thats it. I will prolly get some smaller mods on there before then, like the TB+spacer (I have to test and see if the spacer works). Maybe some intake mani stuff too.

Does anyone know of an Underdrive pulley that works on the V6? I have seen the AEM pulley set, and looked around on 3g and here. Seems like most throw codes.

I don't know, I need to find a job for the summer. So nothing will prolly happen until then.

I am running 17"s now so I may have slowed down a tad. Damn anyone in the PA area wanna install some eibach lowering spring for me. I am a lazy bastard.

Kalamidad
04-22-2006, 12:05 PM
i have a hard time believing those gains...I have a 4 so i'm not too familiar with the feel of the six. but you're talking about two and a half seconds off your 0-60 with just the IHE. what would require at least 20 more HP from your starting point.

gtx
04-22-2006, 12:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xrs2)</div><div class='quotemain'>

I have a relzo 2600 in now</div>

I always wanted to ask you what RELZO stands for in you sig. I'm guessing now you are referring to the REZLO tc?

Xrs2
04-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Yeah I am referring to An Ian Relzo High Stall Torque Convertor.

In my case it is 2600 stall.

edit, I am not sure about the times, but I am sure about the difference between them because I used the same instrument to get them. It is a gtech v1 that does 0-60 and 1/4 times, lateral g forces, ect.. They were all done on the same road from the same starting point (I tried to keep this the same as possible, the only thing that would chnage would be the humidity and temp), the road is level to a few degrees uphill. I cannot do 1/4 miles runs there bc it is not long enough, so I never measured those alnog my upgrade path. The 6.5 was my fastest time, generally I was at about ~7 for 0-60 times. It may have went up bc my heavier 17"s now tho.

I'll make a video if I can get a camera.