PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Coil!

jordan325
02-17-2005, 12:51 AM
Was recently on a trip and had car problems(2001 Galant ES). After fueling up and getting back on the interstate, I started to get up to speed, and the car started to spudder!
Being a former race car driver, I knew I dropped a cylinder and could not figure out how or why! Took it to Firestone, and found out that when putting in new Spiltfire plugs that I possibly stripped one of them which caused it to bounce up and down on the the stipped thread. This caused my ignition coil to practically melt!

I consider myself pretty good with cars, and could not believe that I actually stripped the plug installing it, but may be possible I did!

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar?!?

SilverDragonGTZ
02-17-2005, 04:56 AM
experienced messing up a spark plug install? i'm sure alot of us have... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

jordan325
02-17-2005, 06:06 AM
experienced messing up a spark plug install? i'm sure alot of us have... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

I have installed many of plugs, first time this has happened! Usually pretty careful!

scrapy
02-17-2005, 09:23 AM
I used to work at a parts store. Seen this alot.
If someone dropped it b4 you got it, it'll break the porcelain & cause it to arc and hunt. plus, I know with deep head/valve cover holes, any minor problems (even too much gap) will cause the spark to hunt & it will always find the tube wall first since it metal and so isolated. That could have melted the coil.

Just some food for thought.

It might not have been you at all.

jordan325
02-17-2005, 09:37 AM
I used to work at a parts store. Seen this alot.
If someone dropped it b4 you got it, it'll break the porcelain & cause it to arc and hunt. plus, I know with deep head/valve cover holes, any minor problems (even too much gap) will cause the spark to hunt & it will always find the tube wall first since it metal and so isolated. That could have melted the coil.

Just some food for thought.

It might not have been you at all.

I appericate that very much! Makes me more confident about continuing to work on my own car!