PDA

View Full Version : please help ASAP, 30k service...

cardude03
02-17-2005, 06:00 PM
hey guys. im going in for an oil change and possibly 30k tuneup tomorrow. i have been and will continue to do searching, but if anyone can asnwer these questions , i would greatly appreciate it.

1) i was searching, and i think im gonna get some NGK copper spark plugs, and i have an i4. do you think i can just go to kragen and pick them up, i need them like today.

2) is there anything in the 30k tuneup that my dealer might rape me on and i should get done somewhere else??

3) anyone recommend any special type of syntheic oil. i think i will go with mobil one. its my first time switching over. and how many bottles do i need to get? and whats all this 10w30 or 5w40 all about? what do i need? and some members said they liked amsoil? if the store has mobil and amsoil, which do you think i should get?

any other information u think might help me out i would greatly apreciate it, thanks guys.

DryBear
02-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Here's Mitsu's list for 30K service:
http://www.mitsubishimotors.com/owners/sev...aintenance.html ('http://www.mitsubishimotors.com/owners/severe_maintenance.html')

If you really want to save money, I'd suggest learning how to change all the fluids yourself - it is not really that hard.

Mobile One is pretty good - you can pick up a big jug at Walmart for cheap.

*edit* d'oh!, wrong window :oops:

cardude03
02-17-2005, 06:11 PM
thanks pinoy for quick response. but i dont think your link is right...?

and i did change the oil on my friends truck one time, and boy was it a pain in the ass, i would rather pay the 20 bucks and fugedaboutit

anyone else???

pinoyesv6
02-17-2005, 06:15 PM
many auto parts stores have online catalogs. check to see if they have the ngk's. if the store carrys the ngk's the copper ones should be in stock. i had to special order my iridiums just cuz they odn't stock it in the stores.

the 30k tuneup to me is something i did at home. letting the dealer do it was an ass raping in itself, no matter the price. why pay sum1 for labor if i could do it myself for free and do it just as good. but yea i dunno your mechanic capabilities. but things like checking hte brakes and the oil change any should could do. the tranny flush on the other hand, you might want to let the dealer do just because we use special ATF

for motor oil. i stopped using mobil1. i use amsoil now. kinda hard to find. a lil bit more expensive than mobil1 but my car likes it so much better. runs smoother, better fuel economy, longer life than mobil1. so IMO its a good buy.

for tranny oil, only mitsu fluid.

DryBear
02-17-2005, 06:20 PM

FWIW, I am using Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in my tranny along with some Lucas Transmisison Fix and I haven't had any problems (changed the fluid 11/04/04) , heck it even shifts smoother than when I bought the car.

cardude03
02-17-2005, 06:20 PM
okay, cool, i was looking through this mitsu flyer i got like 2 weeks ago, and it has some coupons in it.

Major Maintenance (30k) $399

Tranny Flush $129

i dont think these could be used togethor, but maybe i could just get a tranny flush and new plugs..?

and i just found out about the mitsu tranny fluid only from searching, thanks guys.

so if i go get the oil right now, how many bottles or quarts do i need?

cardude03
02-17-2005, 06:22 PM
okay, looking at that link.... i just got new pads and rotors today, and i got my tires rotated and balanced yesterday, so i guess i will tell them to not touch that stuff.

pinoyesv6
02-17-2005, 06:33 PM

FWIW, I am using Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in my tranny along with some Lucas Transmisison Fix and I haven't had any problems (changed the fluid 11/04/04) , heck it even shifts smoother than when I bought the car.

i don't know if hte lucas stuff made a difference but i've been down the mobil road. my tranny started slipping after a few months. switched back to the oem stuff and it went away.

okay, cool, i was looking through this mitsu flyer i got like 2 weeks ago, and it has some coupons in it.

Major Maintenance (30k) $399

Tranny Flush $129

i dont think these could be used togethor, but maybe i could just get a tranny flush and new plugs..?

and i just found out about the mitsu tranny fluid only from searching, thanks guys.

so if i go get the oil right now, how many bottles or quarts do i need?

10 quarts of ATF if you are doing it yourself.
if you are getting sum1 who has a flushing machine you might need a lil bit more.

5 quarts of motor oil. you'll need slightly less than 5 quarts but its hard to find oil in bottles less than a quart.

cardude03
02-17-2005, 06:37 PM
okay thanks pinoys, ill on my way to pick it up right now...

cardude03
02-17-2005, 07:20 PM
okay, so i just got back. got some NGK copper plugs, and 4 quarts of oil, cuz thats all the guy said i needed :? is this right?

quicksilver22
02-17-2005, 07:24 PM
go pick up another quart of oil

pinoyesv6
02-17-2005, 07:24 PM
you're gonna need another half a quart of oil and an oil filter, and oh yea, some anti sieze paste wouldn't hurt.

cardude03
02-17-2005, 07:30 PM
damn it! why the hell would he tell me something like that, okay, ill go pick up another one right now, and what is this anti sieze paste you speak of? and i heard that mitsu oil filters were pretty good, so shouldnt i just let them use theirs?

pinoyesv6
02-17-2005, 07:39 PM
have u checked to see if the dealer would let you bring oyur own oil?? most dealers won't let you. but yea the factory filter is pretty good.

the anti seize paste isn't necesaary but its a good thing to put on the threads of your plugs.

cardude03
02-17-2005, 07:53 PM
yeh, i talked to the guy today, he said i have 3 options:

1) get regular oil change for 21 dollars

2) get Evo oil change (which uses synthetic) for 56 dollars

3) bring in my own oil and pay 24 bucks for oil change (although i dont know why its more expensive than getting a regular oil change... :? )

so now that i crunched the numbers, the Evo oil change would have actually been cheaper, but whatever, i have the oil, i know they will use it, so im satisfied.

will the dealer have the anti seaze paste? or should i buy it myself and give it to them?? will they know what it is and how to put it on? what exactly does it do?

ryans99es2.4
02-18-2005, 02:29 PM
damn you got screwed, cuz whenever i can't get the oil plug off my car, i just bring the oil and filter in and they change it for me for like $6, heck they even wash my car 8)

cardude03
02-18-2005, 02:31 PM
jeez! 6 bucks?? wow, thats pretty good. and i totally forgot about the paste and i dont have the car right now, i hope everything turns out fine. but i got a good deal on the 30k. they wanted 524, but i had the coupon for 399, and they took it, yes!

ryans99es2.4
02-18-2005, 02:33 PM
i'm in history class right now and i gotta take it when when i get outta class cuz i couldn't get the plug off, it's stripped like a mofo, i tried vice grip pliers even to get it of. it's not coming off. so i gotta take it to them in like 30 mins.

cardude03
02-18-2005, 02:35 PM
u going to the dealer? or just regular mechanic?

ryans99es2.4
02-18-2005, 02:40 PM
dealer, they'll do it for $6 haha. cheaper than pennzoil, they charge me like $23 even if i bring in my own oil and filter.

pinoyesv6
02-18-2005, 05:58 PM
the hardest part of doing an oil change on a galant is crawling under the car. other than that its a piece of cake. the oil filter just twists off and on. easy to get to. just buy a oil filter wrench for cheap. and then the drain plug thats easy too. take it out, let the oil drain, and then put it back in.

our cars isn't like other cars where you have to remove stuff to part of the undercarraige to get to the drain plug.

cardude03
02-18-2005, 06:29 PM
k, got my car back, everything pretty much feels the same. but whatever, as long as it pays off in the long run. but u know whats weird....i got back in my car and there was an extra bottle of oil...full. so they only used 4, guess the guy at the auto store was right. now im thinking about getting those spark plug wires , like the ones from the GB, u think its worth it? i dont even know why i would need them, are they better in any way?

pinoyesv6
02-18-2005, 09:58 PM
the oil pan holds about 4.2qt while the filter holds .3qt. ov course you don't get every last drop out but you should at least check the oil anyways to see if its enough

but yea wires don't really do much on our cars. besides the prettyness of the aftermarket wires, no real benefit unless your old ones are worn

Fall Out Boy
02-19-2005, 12:47 AM
lmfao... EVO oil change....you can pick up a case of oil for 25 bucks (full synthetic) and a filter for 10. Mobil 1 all the way. changing the oil is actually very easy on an 8g. just look under the front bumber, the filter is in plain sight.

unless your planning on more hp, common practice is a wire change at 60k.