PDA

View Full Version : wiring tap question.

cardude03
02-20-2005, 06:21 PM
hey guys, i just had a question about where to tap into. i have some LED's that i want to light up when i lock/unlock my car. so when i lock/unlock my car, my blinkers go on, but i cant tap into my blinkers because then the LED's will be blinking when im signaling, so anyone know what i need to tap into?

Lazarus
02-20-2005, 06:23 PM
I dont think there's anyway you can get to that. you'll have to tap into your keyless entry system. or alarm if you have one. that's the only way ou will be able to do that off the top of my head

cardude03
02-20-2005, 06:25 PM
yeh but i dont have an alarm. do you know where the keyless entry system is located?

Lazarus
02-20-2005, 06:27 PM
I'm not sure I have an aftermarket alarm but i can still use my peyless entry to unlock and lock the doors so they didn't take it out. ask burthold he might know where it is

pinoyesv6
02-20-2005, 06:53 PM
how about hooking them up to the blinkers but, put in a relay inline that you would hook up to the ignition so that, if the car is off, the circuit will work but when the car is on, the relay would be open and the circuit won't work.

i know there has to be a simpler way but thats all i can think up of without breaking out the wiring diagrams

peanotation
02-20-2005, 07:18 PM
how about hooking them up to the blinkers but, put in a relay inline that you would hook up to the ignition so that, if the car is off, the circuit will work but when the car is on, the relay would be open and the circuit won't work.

i know there has to be a simpler way but thats all i can think up of without breaking out the wiring diagrams

that's probably the best way unless you can find the keyless entry unit. relay's are the shit

cardude03
02-20-2005, 07:19 PM
hmm, seems kinda complicated, anyway to explain how the relays work in lamen terms? and how exactly would i go about tapping into the ignition?

Lazarus
02-20-2005, 07:22 PM
in lamens terms a relay is kinda like a toggle switch. when the car if off it's a complete circuit but when you sart the car it kinda .....grounds out the wire breaking the circuit. so your LEDs won't get power.... to my knowledge that's the just of it.

cardude03
02-20-2005, 07:49 PM
so it it something that i have to make? or something that i have to buy?

pinoyesv6
02-20-2005, 08:34 PM
a relay is osmething you buy.

i kinda see a relay like a bouncer at the club.

there are 4 prongs on a SPST relay. the 2 prongs is for the power that is switched. kinda like the people in line to get into a club.

the trigger and ground prong is like the bouncer. when the trigger wire gets a signal, it opens the gates to let power through. and when it gets another signal, it closes the gates. just like a how a bouncer at a club.

cardude03
02-20-2005, 08:40 PM
so i assume that i could prolly get one at Radio Shack? and what exactly would i ask for? would it come with everything i need? and can someone explain how i would tap into the ignition?

twisted_galant
01-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Get the relays at a parts store. They will probably be a 5 terminal relay. Power from your turn lights will connect to terminal 85 on the relay. Attach a wire to terminal 86 then to a clean chassis ground. In terms of tapping into the ignition find a circuit that is only powered when your ignition is on, such as the radio circuit. Buy a fuse tap while you are at the parts store. Remove the fuse for the radio and place it in the pass thru location on the fuse tap. If you are running LEDs you probably only need a 10A fuse in the other spot on the tap, but check the specs on what ever lights you end up buying. Attach the wire from the fuse tap to terminal 30 on your relay. Attach the power wire from your lights to terminal 87A on your relay. Some parts stores do sell connections for the relays you can attach your wiring to that can make it easier to wire. I hope this helps... PM me if you have any questions. Here is a link to a basic relay wiring diagram, just substitute the horn for what ever accessory you are wiring in. If you attach your accessory to terminal 87 on the relay the lights will only function when your ignition is on, this is why you NEED the 5 terminal relay to accomplish your goal.

http://changkim1980.blogspot.com/2011/05/relay.html?m=1