PDA

View Full Version : Information about an ATX 1995 Galant ES...

RI-SHO
10-07-2002, 02:34 PM
Ok I am looking on some information for this car because a friend of mine keeps going on about his Galant having 212HP out of his 2.2L 4cyl. He tells me the engine is imported from japan ummm like ok show me proof, dyno numbers or something.

Basically I want to know if such a Galant does exist and if it does why would it be offered in an ATX version only instead MTX? Or is my friend lieing or just plain 'ole misinformed?

Kain
10-07-2002, 03:08 PM
Hmm, No Mitsubishi engine has ever had 2.2L of displacement to my knowledge. And nither have I heard of a "ATX". There is a 2.0L in the VR4 that pumps out 250 hp. You might wanna have him clarify on exactly what he's claiming to be having..

RI-SHO
10-07-2002, 03:48 PM
Sorry that was my error its a 2.4L 4cyl.

I'm used to using ATX for Automatic(Auto Transaxle) and MTX for Manual(Manual Transaxle), sorry for the confusion.

I just wanted to let him know why I wont waste my gas on his ATX 141HP 2.4L Galant (got info from edmunds.com), maybe if it were manual and with at least 30-40 more HP. I know I dont drive a Supra or anything but I can sure hold my own with my MTX 240HP Yamaha 3.0L V6 Taurus SHO.

So is there possibility he has a N/A 212HP 2.4L J-spec engine? Or is this just his little fantasy for his Galant? Only reason I am doubting him so much is the fact that he has to base HP on and because I believe back in 1995 they didnt have to many 100HP/Liter engines like now (i.e. Honda S2000 2.2L 240HP).

Kain
10-07-2002, 04:28 PM
Well, that makes more sense. 212 hp is very believable from the Galant's 2.4. I'm guessing he's had it dyno'd to get such an odd figure, or else he's just straight lying. Stock they have 140ish, but just opening up the intake and exhaust a bit can free up about 70 hp (the stock intake is crazy restrictive. it's like the Mitsubishi engineers were trying to choke down the hp or something) And since all Galant's are technically J-spec that might be what he means. But I don't think the 2.4 is all that common in Japan. The 2.0 turbo/3.0 TT is more the norm over there. Also, My '88 Colt makes nearly 100 hp/Liter. But you're probably ruling out turbo cars.

RI-SHO
10-07-2002, 04:47 PM
Yep he said 212HP, never said wheel horsepower so I assuming he meant 212 flywheel horsepower. Overall his facts are very sketchy so thats what made me doubt him so much. I could understand it if it had a Turbo which is what I think when I hear "fast" Mitsubishi, of course its excluding the Turbo 3.0L V6 3000GT VR-4.

There is no Turbo in his Galant just all air N/A 2.4L with an ATX.

Do you mean the intake itself or intake manifold? That is something interesting to know about these engines, good thing I came here and asked before I completly laughed in his face. Did this generation Galant ever come with a MTX option? Or any sort of an aftermarket MTX swap to get rid of the stock ATX?

Hmmm...this is all interesting I might just take him up on his offer to race me, completly kill him to 120MPH and post the video here and on my web page just to add insult to injury https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif .

2True
10-07-2002, 05:32 PM
Yes, the 7g was available in MTX in the lower based models and the almighty 94' GS model.

If he has a completely stock 7g with the factory air box and all, it is likely that he is about 2 seconds behind you on the 1/4 mile. Stock 7g runs between 17 and 18 seconds average depending on what kind of condition it's in. Opening the air ways on these cars is key, a good CAI and exhaust can unlock good sized gains.
Too many variables here...

I would not expect a stock 7g to beat your SHO at a 1/4, but I bet it gives you a run for your money. :wink:

BTW, nice website :thumbsup:

RI-SHO
10-07-2002, 06:13 PM
Thanks, I spent a lot of time nit-picking on my website. Do you think the text going around mouse is a bit much?

I pretty sure my SHO can run high 14's easy just for the fact that my 15.3sec run was done with my 24lbs 18"x8" rims, 150-200lbs of stereo, and bad 2.4sec 60' times. I'm shooting for low-14's when I add an 80mm MAF, LPM/Chip to my current performance mods of just a SS CAI & custom exhaust.

I pretty sure you guys have the same problem I do which is finding good performance parts, everything for the SHO is so hard to find, its either online, or has to be custom made. Is it the same deal with your Galants or do you guys get a good chunk of help from oversea's? What kills the SHO is the fact that they only made about 89,000 of them from 1989-1995, after that Ford dropped a Yamaha 3.4L V8 with no MTX option and killed off the SHO trim in 1999.

Kain
10-07-2002, 06:57 PM
When I say "restrictive intake" I mean both the air box and the manifold. The air box has the engine breathing through a 2" hole sucking air up through the fender well. The intake manifold is also very restrictive compared to the ports in the head. The thing that makes the Galant particularly deadly is a combination of decent power (with loads of potential beyond stock), good suspension (shared with the turbo Eclipses), and light weight (Mine just barely cracks 2300 lbs). But, I'm sad to say I think your friend is full 'o it. And yes, 5 speed was a fairly rare thing with the 7g. Only on the S, and even then most came with the optional 4 speed auto. But with some of RPW's "insane" N/A mods, or bolting on a turbo can really unlock the power of the 4g64. And I'm talking in the 400-500 hp range either way. Dave Thomas (sorry if I got the name wrong) our friendly RPW connection has a 12 second N/A Galant for example. Craig's Galant last I checked was in the low 14s somewhere. Now, when you start talking about the GVR-4 all bets are off. But those are very rare, and much like your SHO very visible to those in the know. By the way, it's nice to see a guy that has a diffrent car come in and respect the Galant. Most do not.

RI-SHO
10-08-2002, 01:34 AM
I see no reason not to respect the Galant and there drivers, we are all drivers trying to make our cars unique, fast, and better looking. You guys most know the look when you can rip a new a-hole into a car that is suppose to be fast like the older 5.0L Stang GT's or any car of the sort. I know I always get the "WTF!?!?" look when I get to pin my SHO on the highway at 140MPH in 4th gear without touching 5th. That is one damn light sedan only 2,300lbs?? Lol my SHO is a pig compared to that tipping the scales at 3,450lbs stock, plus my stereo, which makes it closer to 3,600lbs.

Basically we are all car enthusiaist, who actually come on forums to talk about cars etc 8) . Did I mention i'm 17 and from the large state of RI https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif .

BTW thanks for all the info now I have enough knowledge to shut my friend about his 17-18sec Galant, maybe when he does some mods i'll give him respect seeing as he lied like punk from the start.

schick
10-08-2002, 10:00 AM
Uhh... I think the weight Kain posted above is a bit inaccurate. It's closer to 3000 lbs. (2300 lbs, sheesh, that's in the realm of race cars)

brandon
10-08-2002, 11:57 AM
Mad props on your car, lookin good.

I've always wanted an older body style SHO as a project car despite the lack of support from those around me. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

RI-SHO
10-08-2002, 01:41 PM
Mad props on your car, lookin good.

I've always wanted an older body style SHO as a project car despite the lack of support from those around me. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

You've ever looked into SHO's at all? I could point you to some sites for lots of performance upgrades, coilovers etc. Wont even get into body kits because none are made for the SHO, not many asthetic mods are made for the SHO.

My plan for my SHO is to have about 320HP N/A and finish it off with a Zex 75-100shot of N20, which isnt too hard to achieve, some manifold work, stage II cams, and bored to .62 over to make it a 3.2L. I should would like to be a SHO-Killa with boost but its too much money for what I make now maybe later. There is a local 15PSI SHO with 515HP to the wheels :shock: now that is just basically past M5 terriotory, at least in straight-line acceleration.

brandon
10-08-2002, 03:41 PM
Nope, never looked into em much, just always keep it in the back of my mind for a project car once I'm done with the Galant.

It's gonna be awhile before the G is done though... but once it is I'll come looking for ya. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Best of luck with your project!

g96nt
10-17-2002, 07:21 PM
hey.. c'mon

my galant is much more than 212Hp

and it's a MTX =0]

but... it's a small.... 2L =0[

damn runt

anyways... your friend lied, unless he's as brave As I was

RI-SHO
10-17-2002, 09:32 PM
Yea somehow he shut his mouth after I gave him this link of "his" own Galant drivers proving him wrong https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif .