PDA

View Full Version : Neon or LED's for custom trunk install?

SinSere
02-25-2005, 09:44 AM
I got my new stereo setup going in and one of the last things I need to do is buy some neons to light it all up. I'm doing 2 Eclipses in the wheel well that I want to illuminate as well as two amps flushed in next to them. Also want to highlight my Venom bottle which will be moved to the drop down seat area. I also am adding 2 batteries, 1 on each side behind the tails. So I was curious in this case what would work best. the problem I'm finding with the LED's is finding different sizes. I don't need 12" everywhere. I am also worried about seeing the LED imprints on the speakers or anything else. I put an LED undercar kit in last summer and its nice, real bright, which is a plus.

Just askin for a little insite for those that have experience with both. I definately don't want to do this again. Once its in, theres no turnin back. Another thing is that i would like the trunk neons to match the undercars when I'm showing is another reason I'm thinking LED instead. I want the whole thing to jump out at ya and be real clean. thanks for the help. peace
sin

cardude03
02-25-2005, 11:18 AM
well i can tell you this.

i have LEDs under my dash, and i can see big circles on the floor, which doesnt bother me, but it might to you. and i have a 15" neon tube in my trunk. during the day u cant even tell its there, it has to be pretty dark. but at night, boy o boy, it lights up the whole trunk. and no spots either.

quicksilver22
02-25-2005, 07:34 PM
for what you want you need to go Neon.

LED is great, very bright, but extremely directional, therefore presenting the spots.

Drastic
02-26-2005, 10:33 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(quicksilver22)</div><div class='quotemain'>for what you want you need to go Neon.

LED is great, very bright, but extremely directional, therefore presenting the spots.</div>

If led is so directional then why do people prefer them over neons for underbody lights?

pinoyesv6
02-26-2005, 10:54 AM
you can pull off using LED's and not having the spots but its kinda tricky.

when i use LED's i try not to shine the LED directly at the object but to shine the LED somewhere else and have the light bounce back towards the object you are trying to light up. like i said, kinda tricky but for some cases that might not work.

SinSere
02-26-2005, 03:08 PM
I found a local shop that had some blue neons in different sizes that'll work for me. I need another 24" and one more 12" that they didn't have. But they had the smaller 8's I needed, but not in LED. I thought about shining the LED's straight across to try to avoid the dots, but found they are more expensive anyways and just went with the normal neon tubes. Next week it might go under the knife for the big face lift. :twisted:

cardude03
02-26-2005, 03:09 PM
wow, that 24" tube is gonna be huge, i have a 15 and its plenty. its the 24 going to be like the main one? where is it going to be located?

quicksilver22
02-26-2005, 03:51 PM
remember, we get a discount online at MidnightMoose.com for everything

code: TGCHHD (idk if it's case sensitive or not, don't think so)

why LED's over Neon? life span, brightness, quality.

SinSere
02-27-2005, 12:51 PM
the 24's are for either side of my subs in the fiberglass enclosure. It'll be two 10's stacked on top of each other. So I'll have a 24" tube on either side of them to illuminate fully. Life expectancy and durability is about the only thing I'm worried about as I have had neon undercars go bad on me twice. THose are exposed to all the road garbage and weathering though so hopefully these will last more protected.

pinoyesv6
02-27-2005, 01:53 PM
you should be fine with the neons in the trunk. i mean they will only turn on when you open the trunk right?? unlike the underbody which are on for much longer. i have had my interior neons for a few years now and those come on with the dome lights and i can turn them on manually and yea, those are still up an running.