PDA

View Full Version : HIDs and CF hood

galantv600
02-25-2005, 09:59 AM
i have some questions about the oem cf hood. and HIDs... i bougt everything i need for the HIDs except the bulbs.. he was running some 6000k bulbs... now my question is if i were to get the bulbs.. do they HAVE to be 6000k bulbs? or can they be 8 to 10k??? now about the hood, i know there was a post i blieve by Laz asking about hood pins... now my question that people just kept going around was will i need hood pins for my hood not to fly and hit my windshield??? i need to know this, since ill be going to a show soon and buying a hood soon and dont want to get it ruined!!!! all i gotta do is make sure i closed it properly like my OEM one and no problems?? or will it fly off even if it is clamped on?? :oops:

neel9
02-25-2005, 10:02 AM
yea but i think when u going to get bulbs .. u can but they are damm like over 100 bucks.. cause i have mine and i was tired of my 10000k and wanted to get 12000k and the guys who installed me said that its just better to get a new whole HID system so.. util and unless u can get a damm good deal on the bulbs..

galantv600
02-25-2005, 10:05 AM
i got everything for 45 bucks.. shipped... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif from a guy i know... 8) so hopefully i can get bulbs and BAM!

neel9
02-25-2005, 10:10 AM
ok .. have u seen the 6000k light? u do not like it? cause let me tell tell u when u go higher the temp , the less light it thorwn .. thats what every one says.. yes.. its true but dude.. i have 10000k and damm its freakin blueeeeeeeeee.... and it throws a lot of light when i am alone on the freeway... off course not as much light as like 5000k or 6000k.. so.. u should get bulbs depending on the color u need.. when u go higher the temperature.. the decision is based on the color and thats it..

Danger DANJ
02-25-2005, 10:15 AM
With the HID, you can use whatever bulbs you want, doesn't have to be 6000k.

As far as the hood pins go, you definitely want them. You don't have to, but don't cry if your hood flys up on you. Yes, the hood closes like the factory hood, but the metal part on the hood that latches is held in by fiberglass. The fiberglass could very well crack, and then your hood will fly up. There is a safety catch on the CF hood, like on the stock hood, which keeps your hood from jumping up too far when you pop it open, but on the CF hood that is fiberglass too and mine cracked after only a few times of popping the hood open. Luckily the CF hood is so light that you don't need to worry about being without that safety catch when you pop it open.

neel9
02-25-2005, 10:17 AM
i cannot believe u got both the things for like what 45 bucks?/ how ?

galantv600
02-25-2005, 10:19 AM
i know its the best light output, but ive heard so many different comments from how they are White, blue, yellow... so im really confused trying to decide... i like the whitish purplish blue color... but also want the damn lot of light coming from my heads!!!

neel9
02-25-2005, 10:22 AM
5000k-more like stock but brighter
6000k-whitee
8000k-whitish blue..
10000k-deep blue
12000k-bluish pruple

galantv600
02-25-2005, 10:30 AM
damnn i just wihs they made some that werent so OBVIOUS.. is where 8ggalant put his, a good spot to put em?? i rather have em there than put them on the sides lke everyone else!

neel9
02-25-2005, 10:36 AM
i think they wil not .. as they are white and there are lot of aftermarket bulb which are white and are verrryy white so.. and by the way when u install it u have to place it right behind the headlight.. kind of hard on the passenger side but... have to figure out and make sure u screw in the ballests.. cause its not good for them to be moving around .. they have to be stable...mine are obvious.. as they are hella blue but....

jusmills
02-25-2005, 11:05 AM
another thing you might want to consider is your local laws...having ridiculously blue light will definitely cop you a fix it ticket in some states. Also in most states that have inspections you might get into trouble for not having proper hi/low beams + bad beam pattern (friend got rejected at NJDMV for having 10000K HIDs retrofitted into a 99 accord coupe)To be on the safe side I'd go with either the 6000K or 8000K bulbs, you get a crisp white color (slight blue)from the lights and excellent-good light output. Just as a thought if you wanted cheap HIDs could you go to a junkyard and find a wrecked 01+ A6 (get projectors too!), or any 01+ Acura CL/TL if you just want the ballasts and bulbs (i believe output is 5200K on those)

cardude03
02-25-2005, 11:10 AM
search for CF HOODS 101, hopefully it will help

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewt...ht=cf+hoods+101 ('https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=33781&highlight=cf+hoods+101')

neel9
02-25-2005, 11:14 AM
i wanna get som projector done for my car.. but i am not sure who does it cause i do not have the skills in opening a headlight and doing that type of work.. i really do want some some projectors.. as if u have HID.. ite emits better light..

Reelax
02-25-2005, 03:28 PM
ok lemme help u out w/ the HID capsules. first off u have JDM heads now right? u need H7 capsules... but here is the problem. what ballasts are u gonna b running and what do the connectors to the capsules look like. capsules and ballasts, although they all do the same thing in every kit, are not neccesarily universally interchangeable between companies. if it is from a OE application then chances are it is a HELLA ballast and they have at least 3 different capsule interfaces, none of which are compatible w/ each other; so u can imagine how many other socket interfaces there are given there are at least 20 companies making HID kits. if u can post a pic of the ballast and interfaces to the capsules, i might b able to ID them and help better. as for Kelvin, here is the color scale:

http://www.raniworld.com/raaa/kelvin.jpg

i am personally running 6000K for both my hi and low beams (JDM dual beam HID). the brightest HID is 4250K. this is used on the majority of stock applications (the color you see is actually coming from the optics of the housings, not the bulb). 4250K is pure white. as u go higher, you will get blue (6000K) then purple (10000K) then pink (1200K). i would suggest not going over 8000K since after that the light is too dark in color and the lumens (candlepower or brightness) goes down quickly. also the light above 8000K will color the road and such and may make your eyes tired and may aso give you headaches after extended use.

here is a pic of my first 5000K H7 kit (i have had 6 kits in my car so i have a little experience w/ this):

http://www.raniworld.com/RAAA/JDMgrill.jpg

here it is at 6000K:

http://www.raniworld.com/RAAA/118-1802_IMG.JPG

for comparison, this is b4 i had HID hi beams so i was running NOKYA hyperwhite H1 and NOKYA hyperwhite 893 fogs (the corners are POLARG 1157 hyperwhite bright wired)... look how badly hyperwhite bulbs match real HID:

http://www.raniworld.com/RAAA/jdmcluster.jpg

galantv600
02-25-2005, 08:20 PM
i know about the temps... i know about all the HID things.. i was just wondering if i could put a 10000k bulb with a kit that was meant or came with a 6000k bulb.... now, i got the kit in today... i intsalled both lights, one is perfectly fine but other bulb is cracked/ruined in the end and when used it kinda acts like a strobe losing power and regaining it. im going to have to replace, but i like the color and intensity of this 6000k so im going to go ahead and get a new set....

as to the install, the bulb when put in properly, still has some game/moving to it. so therefore is there anyway to fix that????

Reelax
02-25-2005, 10:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantv600)</div><div class='quotemain'>i know about the temps... i know about all the HID things.. i was just wondering if i could put a 10000k bulb with a kit that was meant or came with a 6000k bulb.... now, i got the kit in today... i intsalled both lights, one is perfectly fine but other bulb is cracked/ruined in the end and when used it kinda acts like a strobe losing power and regaining it. Â*im going to have to replace, but i like the color and intensity of this 6000k so im going to go ahead and get a new set....

as to the install, the bulb when put in properly, still has some game/moving to it. Â*so therefore is there anyway to fix that????</div>

if they are H7 bases then they should fit just like your H7 bulbs (snug). if they are not snug, you can get wide spacer washers to help seat them better against the headlight hole. also check that your retainer clips are completely flush w/ the base, if not you may have to rebend them.

ryans99es2.4
02-26-2005, 04:33 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>ok lemme help u out w/ the HID capsules. Â*first off u have JDM heads now right? Â*u need H7 capsules... Â*but here is the problem. Â*what ballasts are u gonna b running and what do the connectors to the capsules look like. Â*capsules and ballasts, although they all do the same thing in every kit, are not neccesarily universally interchangeable between companies. Â*if it is from a OE application then chances are it is a HELLA ballast and they have at least 3 different capsule interfaces, none of which are compatible w/ each other; so u can imagine how many other socket interfaces there are given there are at least 20 companies making HID kits. Â*if u can post a pic of the ballast and interfaces to the capsules, i might b able to ID them and help better. Â*as for Kelvin, here is the color scale:

http://www.raniworld.com/raaa/kelvin.jpg

i am personally running 6000K for both my hi and low beams (JDM dual beam HID). Â*the brightest HID is 4250K. Â*this is used on the majority of stock applications (the color you see is actually coming from the optics of the housings, not the bulb). Â*4250K is pure white. Â*as u go higher, you will get blue (6000K) then purple (10000K) then pink (1200K). Â*i would suggest not going over 8000K since after that the light is too dark in color and the lumens (candlepower or brightness) goes down quickly. Â*also the light above 8000K will color the road and such and may make your eyes tired and may aso give you headaches after extended use. Â*

here is a pic of my first 5000K H7 kit (i have had 6 kits in my car so i have a little experience w/ this):

http://www.raniworld.com/RAAA/JDMgrill.jpg

here it is at 6000K:

http://www.raniworld.com/RAAA/118-1802_IMG.JPG

for comparison, this is b4 i had HID hi beams so i was running NOKYA hyperwhite H1 and NOKYA hyperwhite 893 fogs (the corners are POLARG 1157 hyperwhite bright wired)... Â*look how badly hyperwhite bulbs match real HID:

http://www.raniworld.com/RAAA/jdmcluster.jpg</div>

:shock:

your car is sexy

neel9
02-26-2005, 10:58 AM
hey if at all u think about gettin new bulbs go with 10000k.. u wont regret it.. if u wanna see the light u can go one my car domain.. so..

galantv600
02-26-2005, 03:27 PM
but supposedly i lose light output/visiblity with that high.... 4000-6000 is wherre i will be able to see the best light output and road visibility...

galantv600
02-26-2005, 03:42 PM
i found on ebay some for like 100 bucks.. real hids not the blue tinted reg. bulb i used to buy :oops: anyway thats the route im thinking of going. Dont want to spend too much yet i dont want to spend too little and not get what i want.. naywone know of a company that sells cheap bulbs? ONLY bulbs

Reelax
02-26-2005, 04:07 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantv600)</div><div class='quotemain'>i found on ebay some for like 100 bucks.. real hids not the blue tinted reg. bulb i used to buy Â*:oops: Â*anyway thats the route im thinking of going. Â*Dont want to spend too much yet i dont want to spend too little and not get what i want.. naywone know of a company that sells Â*cheap bulbs? ONLY bulbs</div>

make sure the capsules' conectors are compatible w/ you ballasts' connectors (since splicing between the capsules and ballasts is not simple as you can create an arc at the splices sif they are not done correctly, which would pretty much suck and may damage your car).